• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The God of War style of hack and slash is something I never got into. While the Batman style freeflow combat is incredibly saturated at this point, it's both more satisfying and challenging than the hack and slash style while still being accessible.

I'd actually be happier with those games if they were nothing but the big dumb button prompt scenes.

I like that Dante's Inferno somehow took the same formula and made it even more tedious

The God of War style of hack and slash is something I never got into. While the Batman style freeflow combat is incredibly saturated at this point, it's both more satisfying and challenging than the hack and slash style while still being accessible.

I don't understand how spider-sense and one-button automatic counters makes Batman's combat more challenging.

jgminto

I don't understand how spider-sense and one-button automatic counters makes Batman's combat more challenging.
I'd consider timing, crowd awareness and management more challenging than what usually amounts to hitting light attack a bunch and then maybe heavy attack. I'm not saying Batman combat is difficult but when you're in those situations that include a larger varieties of enemy types, keeping up a combo becomes pretty thrilling.

I'm usually not a graphics snob but Godhand looks like it started its life as a low budget SuperFX game before being cast aside. Years later, an ambitious janitor at Capcom's HQ found a bunch of floppy discs next to Mega man's corpse deep within their damp basements, ran the code, and thought there would be no harm in releasing the game as-is on the Playstation 2 Computer Entertainment System.

He's right though. God of War is something that always looked good, on a technical level but, is pretty boring in my opinion.

Gears of War QL:

"It's brown."
"But the environment's still brown."
"Oh look, brown environments."
"Yeah, another brown room."
"This is really cool, these brown rooms."

The point is it was repetitive commentary that got really, really annoying to listen to.

I'd consider timing, crowd awareness and management more challenging than what usually amounts to hitting light attack a bunch and then maybe heavy attack. I'm not saying Batman combat is difficult but when you're in those situations that include a larger varieties of enemy types, keeping up a combo becomes pretty thrilling.

Not sure I understand your point. Timing and crowd management are important to God of War, too. You're assuming you can mash your way out of every situation which couldn't be more wrong.

Zebetite

Banned
i once likened the act of playing a God of War(tm) title to the act of rolling one's face across the surface of a dualshock while the TV displayed the film 300(tm) so this QL just got pretty funny in its latter half

jgminto

Not sure I understand your point. Timing and crowd management are important to God of War, too. You're assuming you can mash your way out of every situation which couldn't be more wrong.

I feel like I was able to get away with mashing pretty easily in the PS2 games. I was terrible at anything that required more at the time.

SuperFX was serious business whippy. You seem to be taking my comment as a slight against godhand. I thought it was a fair comparison. There are many great SuperFX games with which Godhand gets to share its illustrious company with.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I DEMAND PROPER RESPECT FOR THE GREATEST GAME* OF ALL TIME DAMNIT.

* ok, I don't actually think it's the greatest game of all time. Close though.

I actually have no idea about any superfx game.

jgminto

I DEMAND PROPER RESPECT FOR THE GREATEST GAME* OF ALL TIME DAMNIT.

* ok, I don't actually think it's the greatest game of all time. Close though.

I actually have no idea about any superfx game.
Greatest action game
Greatest Clover game
Greatest Fist of the North Star game

santeesioux

If only the servers for MGO2 were still up on MGS4, Drew could have went on there and met the amazing community that would probably still be playing.

Xater

I imagine that the communities for MGO were just completely crazy.

I mean the MP was pretty bonkers. I mostly stopped playing because I was really tired of the separate account bullshit Konami had going. Definitely interested in giving MGO another go once MGSV is out.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Has Dan commented on cybergoth yet? I'm just wondering, because I mentioned it to somebody at work and his response was "Why don't these people just wear a normal shirt and pants" and "Everybody in this video is a goober. All of them, look at all of these goobers"

I pretty much have heard Dan react to cybergoths based on that, but I'm just curious.

you would need a whole MGScalon episode for the bossfight against Konami ID if MP was still part of MGS4

KBfNyVW.gif

you were shit out of luck if you forgot your konami ID

good lord what a horrid system. the website was horrible. all of it. I still have nightmares.

Every God of War game is incredibly challenging on the hard mode available at the start, will never understand people who choose to play at a base difficulty level and then complain about not being punished for playing poorly. Normal is supposed to let you make mistakes and you can play 95% of games at the normal difficulty levels without ever thinking about it(especially action games)

You can button mash your way through every Devil May Cry game other than 3 on normal(or whatever fancy term used) but that doesn't mean there isn't depth there. Although of course God of War is a hack and slash at its core so I'm not saying the depth is comparable, but it is there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There was a separate per game Konami ID I remember. So you need your PSN, Konami ID, and one other one to just play. Each of those had different password requirements (like must contain 5 upper case letters and at least 2 numbers). It was a mess.

There was a separate per game Konami ID I remember. So you need your PSN, Konami ID, and one other one to just play. Each of those had different password requirements (like must contain 5 upper case letters and at least 2 numbers). It was a mess.

Also, if you played the MGS4 beta I *think* that the Konami ID from the beta couldn't be reused for the actual game. It was either that or I completely forgot my credentials and there was no way to recover those deets for your konami ID.

And they also sold DLC maps only through their website. It was super duper shitty.

I think they eventually released either a MP demo or just the MP as its own thing on the PSN store but I don't think they ever put the maps on the PSN store.

The whole thing reeked of Konami wanting every single penny for itself while ignoring the fact that if they had reduced the barrier to accessing this shit then they would've likely made a shitton more money instead of wondering why their fantastic business plan failed to gain any traction.

I guess i'm glad it failed because it probably stopped other third party publishers from trying some shitty stunt like that themselves.

-Kees-

I had to tear myself away from Rocket League (SO GOOD) to do some work while I listen to Danswers with Brad and then I get to start Metal Gear Scanlon 4.

It's a GB heavy day around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom