• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm losing my shit at this Rocket League quick-look because of how goddamn amateur they are and how much they haven't figured out the basic mechanics of getting speed by front flipping your car, using the rocket to get some good air, etc etc. You learn that shit from like an hour of play! C'mon now.

Basically: fuck that Quick Look, watch this 5 minute highlights video instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

Well, Alex still plays all games using an NES controller because "Fuck those modern 'gaming controllers' with all those buttons" so he tends to not have the same precision as other players might.

I have like 8 hours into RL and i don't do half the stuff you just mentioned. It's a struggle to just understand the flow of the game for the first few hours and not just hit the boost button all of the time and constantly chase the ball.

So long as they don't crap on the game i think the QL will be fine.

I'm losing my shit at this Rocket League quick-look because of how goddamn amateur they are and how much they haven't figured out the basic mechanics of getting speed by front flipping your car, using the rocket to get some good air, horizontal jumping, etc etc. You learn that shit from like an hour of play! C'mon now.

Basically: fuck that Quick Look, watch this 5 minute highlights video instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

I would definitely not call 'flipping the car to get a speed boost' a basic mechanic.

Yes, because double tap A and push the thumbstick forward, then hit boost, is a very complicated and advanced maneuver reserved only for NASA docking technicians.

It's literally just double tapping A while pressing forward. It even makes the boost sound when you do it twice. I wouldn't call pressing a button twice "advanced".

I haven't seen the quick look, so I'm not complaining about it, but there's tons of things you pick up if you play the tutorial or within an hour or so of playing with other players. Just basic strategies outside of drive straight to the ball every time that makes the game so much better for everyone, especially the one just chasing the ball.

It's one of the first things they teach you in the advanced tutorial.

If it's something the AI doesn't even do on the highest difficulty I wouldn't call it basic. Definitely if you point to something being in the "advanced" tutorial. You don't need the advanced tutorial to play the basic game.

Arguing how complicated the ability is doesn't mean it's basic. Can you play the game without doing? Could you play hours without even knowing it's possible? It's just not a basic function of the game.

jgminto

Using rolls to change direction and increase speed is a pretty simple technique but you do have to go through the tutorials to know about it so it's understandable that they might have missed it. Once you learn about it, your game will see an almost instant improvement though.
If it's something the AI doesn't even do on the highest difficulty I wouldn't call it basic. Definitely if you point to something being in the "advanced" tutorial. You don't need the advanced tutorial to play the basic game.
The AI is garbage so that isn't exactly a great example. The game should probably suggest the tutorial on boot-up though, it's too hidden for how important it is.

It's literally just double tapping A while pressing forward. It even makes the boost sound when you do it twice. I wouldn't call pressing a button twice "advanced".

Just having a chuckle with the basic v advanced stuff. The car flipping is something you just have to have as muscle memory, not that it's mechanically difficult.

Although if you're watching GB quick looks expecting a high level of play, then...

Using rolls to change direction and increase speed is a pretty simple technique but you do have to go through the tutorials to know about it so it's understandable that they might have missed it. Once you learn about it, your game will see an almost instant improvement though.

Like for all the talk about mechanics and fidelity they fail to really show them, and honestly half the thrill is getting good enough to do the crazy shit I posted in the video earlier.

Also Dan's defense of Kratos entirely redeems him in my eyes.

Arguing how complicated the ability is doesn't mean it's basic. Can you play the game without doing? Could you play hours without even knowing it's possible? It's just not a basic function of the game.

And lose a lot and bring your team down a great deal in an online match? Sure.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, the A button. A for advanced

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the H button over here

I never did the advanced tutorial. I did the basic one and then jumped online. I guess I should check it out, if only because now that I have a better understanding of the fundamentals I could put that stuff to use instead of spamming it or not using it at all.

fAUOr2c.png

Jintor

hey i didn't crap on them for how bad they are at fighting games or splatoon! take yer rawketbawl complaining elsewhere ya hear

If any duders want to get some RL games going sometime we should play. Seriously, anybody who wants to play (regardless of perceived skill) is welcome. We've been playing nightly GAF games for hours and are always looking to fill up 4v4. We're all on voice chat doing random teams and it's a lot of fun.

GT (PS4): crblahblah

Jothel

Reel talk (as in like... Video reel? I guess?) the frame rate in MGS4 is ass.
I guess we got spoiled with the silky smooth remasters =/

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Reel talk (as in like... Video reel? I guess?) the frame rate in MGS4 is ass.
I guess we got spoiled with the silky smooth remasters =/

At a guess it's like an unstable 30 throughout. The worst dips I noticed were in act 1 and the start of 2. Night vision solid eye is like a frame rate booster.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Are you guys watching some secret god of war 3 quick look that I can't find?

edit: oh whoops, completely missed that post.

I think the GOW stories are fine and actually kinda good up until GOW3. Then, Kratos goes full heel and it's just him going on a rampage with little to no regard for the consequences of his actions.

You know, the same exact thing that caused him to wipe out his entire family and made him an angry guilt ridden fucking monster in the first place.

Dude needs to send in an email to Danswers to get some advice

Maybe it's because I grew up on those Ray Harryhausen films like Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts and had an affinity for Greek mythology already so GOW really tickled that fancy for me.

I completely agree with Jason on that God of War 3 remastered Quick Look.

"You're mashing circle."
"You're just mashing circle."
"But you're mashing circle."

Fuck, we get it.

He's right though. God of War is something that always looked good, on a technical level but, is pretty boring in my opinion.

Dan is right. This game isn't meant to redefine worlds. It's a spectacle, a step removed from character action, and Jason can please shut the fuck up about the button mashing. Like shit we get it, you play real character action games. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

they should just remaster Asura's Wrath instead

I would not mind this in the slightest.

Going to have to disagree there. 3 wasn't great when it came to the story but fighting still feels good in those games. It's not an amazing series but it sure doesn't deserve the hate it seems to get on forums.

3 also falls apart with the really awful cube sections in the last chunk of the game. The whole thing reeks of "shit, we have to put a game out how can we simplify our designs to get this thing in stores." Just bad filler sections that seemed designed in such a way so that the game isn't 4 hour long. GOW3 starts with a showstopper and never really gets back up to those heights again.

It's a travesty given the excellent pacing of GOW2. That game just kept escalating shit, it's still the best GOW game though Ghost of Sparta is pretty underrated

jgminto

The God of War style of hack and slash is something I never got into. While the Batman style freeflow combat is incredibly saturated at this point, it's both more satisfying and challenging than the hack and slash style while still being accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom