• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

So for mgscanlon in the past I have waited for them to get through the game and then binged through the play through so I wouldn't have to wait for the next episode. This time around I didn't do that and the wait for the next ep is going to kill me

FStop7

Banned
It does if you stop thinking of it literally and look at what the hell is the nightmare that is political/social justice centered discourse on platforms like Twitter and Tumblr. Games critics are too goddamn illiterate to engage with creators beyond the most surface of levels, and it's a damn shame.

Kojima is one of the most brilliant and ahead-of-our-times thinkers and numbskulls too simple-minded to think for themselves need everything spelled out for them literally, step by step. MGS2's script was written in 1998, released in 2001, and we're in 2015 with massive corporate controlled networks like Facebook running experiments on their users manipulating their emotions through information manipulation. Motherfucker called this shit from a mile away.

LOL, please. MGS has a guy made of bees and a million fart jokes. Kojima is the Tommy Wiseau of video games.

Jason is a real street fighter who is comfortable in his masculinity enough to be pro-hugs.

I don't discriminate when it comes to who I try to keep out of my personal space. anyone who isn't a S.O. is going to meet resistance. even family. even people I'm attracted to but not in a relationship with

God of War 3 still seems like a great time so I will probably grab it from best buy. 40 dollars(32 with GCU) really isn't that expensive compared to a film blu-ray.

Cowboy Bebop is normally 60 dollars and has been out for nearly a year so finally having a nice sale isn't surprising. Imagine you'll be able to pick up God of War 3 for 20 dollars in a few months!

(presumably) the last episode of bradborne happening in 4 hours

Curious how Brad handled the Pthumerian Descendant. (1th boss on the the last chalice)

I spent at least a hour dying to that guy. He is no Watchdog sized wall but still a pain. Super fast with long combos.

But after that its a cake walk though. First tried the last 2 bosses on the road to my platinum.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm replaying through MGS4 now. Similar to Dan, I haven't touched it in years. My controller shut off due to a long cutscene. :)

Curious how Brad handled the Pthumerian Descendant. (1th boss on the the last chalice)

I spent at least a hour dying to that guy. He is no Watchdog sized wall but still a pain. Super fast with long combos.

But after that its a cake walk though. First tried the last 2 bosses on the road to my platinum.

All you need for that guy is a long pistol to keep visceral attacking him.

Can't believe there's a Bradborne today, that likely means an earlycast too!

The amount of content today is crazy. I really enjoyed MGS4.
The content machine is spinning up again and its glorious. I still want 1 more premium series from GBeast in the rotation but other than that I can't complain.

GOW3 is the worst GOW game but getting Kevin Sorbo to voice Hercules was rad even though the character only has a few lines before.... Oh right lol.

God of War 3 is a dumb game.

Zebetite

Banned
LOL, please. MGS has a guy made of bees and a million fart jokes. Kojima is the Tommy Wiseau of video games.

William S. Burroughs is an author who, on various levels (though most prominently through drug metaphors) examines all notions of "control" placed upon individual autonomy by society at large. The bulk of his work is an exploration of the contrast between the grim realities of human nature and the chains we've placed around it to make sure we aren't just raping and killing each other all day every day, and questioning the validity of those chains. It ultimately posits that the most-potent method of control placed upon the human race is ultimately The Word, or, as Burroughs calls it, "The Word Virus." To quote Burroughs himself,

From symbiosis to parasitism is a short step. The word is now a virus. The flu virus may have once been a healthy lung cell. It is now a parasitic organism that invades and damages the central nervous system. Modern man has lost the option of silence. Try halting sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.

William S. Burroughs' most-renowned novel, Naked Lunch, is rich with the interesting, complex and thought-provoking themes that permeate his life's work and is also a huge accomplishment as a work of prose. It is also a novel in which a woman sodomizes a man named Johnny with a strap-on that she has named "Steely Dan III," after, she explains, the first two Steely Dans were lost to a "bull dyke" and a "famished candiru in the Upper Baboonsasshole" respectively.

Naked Lunch is considered a keystone work of the postmodern literature movement.

Sometimes high art doesn't need to take itself super-duper seriously. Sometimes works of fiction can be judged by the ideas or virtues they extol rather than the most fucking banal, baseline "what happens" level of content and "plot" and how likely it is to appeal to the fuckin' drooling masses.

When Jeeves says, quote,

Games critics are too goddamn illiterate to engage with creators beyond the most surface of levels, and it's a damn shame.

He is absolutely, unequivocally correct. With one caveat-- There are absolutely people out there who are literate enough to engage with games beyond the most surface of levels, they just aren't getting paid to do it, because his second point rings truest of all.

Kojima is one of the most brilliant and ahead-of-our-times thinkers and numbskulls too simple-minded to think for themselves need everything spelled out for them literally, step by step.

Every time someone goes "lol bees" they are actively setting video games back. These people are perhaps the only thing dumber than the bees they are lampooning.

Acension has the best combat and puzzles in the series, as a side game it's a ton of fun and the multiplayer component was very well put together. A good game.

I don't think any of the games in the series could be considered bad though, and Chains of Olympus is the only one I'd call mediocre. Pretty spectacular series all around, silly story or not.

Speaking of reading, this Console Wars book fucking sucks and the author should be ashamed of himself.
What's wrong with it? Only know the general gist of the book and that it's by the guy who wrote Moneyball which I also know nothing about :p

It's not terrible by any means but it's worse than the three core games.
The scale is certainly less spectacular outside of the intro and conclusion but I thought the general level of quality was on the same level. Worse than great isn't always a horrible thing. Of course it also came out several years later so it's no where near as impressive as each of the main trilogy were in their respective time frames.

Zebetite

Banned
I feel like I could make a pretty good character judgement based on someone's reaction to the Nova Trilogy

that is, if I actually knew anyone who read them

i've read nova express and ticket-- out of order, in true burroughs fashion, and loved them both. my copy of nova express is very compact and i used to carry it in my back pocket to flip through when bored. i've never been more inspired by a style of prose.

i've never seen a copy of the soft machine in the wild and never bother to order it off amazon or w/e so its still to-be-read

also bombcast

Volotaire

i've read nova express and ticket-- out of order, in true burroughs fashion, and loved them both. my copy of nova express is very compact and i used to carry it in my back pocket to flip through when bored. i've never been more inspired by a style of prose.

i've never seen a copy of the soft machine in the wild and never bother to order it off amazon or w/e so its still to-be-read

also bombcast
Yay!

What's wrong with it? Only know the general gist of the book and that it's by the guy who wrote Moneyball which I also know nothing about :p

it seems to be weirdly, and inappropriately, written in a kind of hackneyed narrative fashion.

in short, he wrote it like a novel and it feels fake as fuck. Masters of Doom remains the single best example of what this subgenre could and should be.

A huge chunk of the book is dialogue he invented. Bad dialogue. Trip Hawkins makes an early appearance and sounds like a James Bond villain. Whenever a Japanese person talks, I can practically hear Mickey Rooney's Mr. Yunioshi. It's the worst.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I don't know of anywhere else to ask on Gaf. I bought a new hard drive for my PS4. Stuck the old PS4 one in the old case and go to format it via Disk Management. But it's not showing up at all. Even when I plug it in, the light on the little case lights up like it's plugged in, but it doesn't show up.

The PS4 hard drive in the PS4 now is working great.

i've never seen a copy of the soft machine in the wild and never bother to order it off amazon or w/e so its still to-be-read[/URL]

I think Nova Express was the hard one for me to find initially, but I guess they put out new revised editions last year, so those are going on my wishlist.

Kojima compared to William S Burroughs?

cmon now, that's the most obvious troll i've ever seen.

Guy just takes stuff from his favorite films and massages them into whatever game he's working on now. Snatcher is Blade Runner meets Terminator with some Body Snatchers in the mix, Policenauts is Space Lethal Weapon, Metal Gear is a hodgepodge of Terminator, Predator, James Bond, Escape from NY, etc.

If he's anything, he's the Quentin Tarantino of game auteurs.

Guy just takes stuff from his favorite films and massages them into whatever game he's working on now. Snatcher is Blade Runner meets Terminator with some Body Snatchers in the mix, Policenauts is Space Lethal Weapon, Metal Gear is a hodgepodge of Terminator, Predator, James Bond, Escape from NY, etc.

Would be nice to have a proper QT equal in gaming that focuses on well used references to gaming history.

Too early to tell if Dan forgetting MGS4 will be funnier in the long run. Dan steering Drew towards easter eggs is part of the fun of MGScanlon. The most important new mechanic brought about by the Power of the Playstation 3 is easy to miss;
You can turn individual pages in Playboy.

it seems to be weirdly, and inappropriately, written in a kind of hackneyed narrative fashion.

in short, he wrote it like a novel and it feels fake as fuck. Masters of Doom remains the single best example of what this subgenre could and should be.

A huge chunk of the book is dialogue he invented. Bad dialogue. Trip Hawkins makes an early appearance and sounds like a James Bond villain. Whenever a Japanese person talks, I can practically hear Mickey Rooney's Mr. Yunioshi. It's the worst.
Yeah, that's the worst kind of non-fiction. It can be hard to find a balance between presenting facts in an interesting manner and staying true to the actual events but too many bad authors try to go that route to poor results. If you're creating your own dialogue you just need to do what Joyce Carol Oates did with Blonde and make a fictionalized biography and label it as historical fiction.

The reference to Mr. Yuuioshi made me shudder.

Zebetite

Banned

less a direct comparison and more of a "if you're going to write off an entire work of fiction that quite demonstrably has some big ideas and themes packed away deep inside of it because the creator is also willing to indulge in some dumb, goofy, funny shit, i sincerely hope you are never a cultural vanguard to anything in the history of ever"

the fact that you're willing to compare hideo kojima to an accomplished artist in another medium at all instead of writing him off because "lol bees" means we're on the same wavelength

but i do not take kindly to being accused of trolling when my gun is loaded only with #truthbullets

Hearing Dan recap MGS at the start of this 1st episode of metal gears scanlon 4 is making me real sad that Phantom Pain seems to be light on story stuff.

Hearing Dan recap MGS at the start of this 1st episode of metal gears scanlon 4 is making me real sad that Phantom Pain seems to be light on story stuff.

I feel like the story stuff it COULD deal with is best left as a surprise, so hopefully it's all in there. I mean, we already know
les enfants
will be making an appearance.

less a direct comparison and more of a "if you're going to write off an entire work of fiction that quite demonstrably has some big ideas and themes packed away deep inside of it because the creator is also willing to indulge in some dumb, goofy, funny shit, i sincerely hope you are never a cultural vanguard to anything in the history of ever"

the fact that you're willing to compare hideo kojima to an accomplished artist in another medium at all instead of writing him off because "lol bees" means we're on the same wavelength

but i do not take kindly to being accused of trolling when my gun is loaded only with #truthbullets

He does tackle some interesting themes but, boy, it's often not a pretty sight. We're not that long past the vagina bomb and I'm not sure this Quiet thing is going to be handled very well given his recent history. Or his whole history, really. I dunno, I admire that he wants to bring some thought to the AAA blockbuster style game but he doesn't inspire much confidence that he could pull it off given most of his output.

To bring up the "lol bees" thing, yeah the Cobra Unit is a bunch of goofy dumb bosses but it harkens back to an era of goofy dumb bond villains like Jaws or Oddjob where being a bigger than life villain was part of the show.

But the upcoming MGS4 bosses are completely mishandled and pretty fanservice-y in ways that reminds one of the boob grabbing in Policenauts or the shower scenes in Snatcher. It just seems to be pandering to the baser instincts of the young and impressionable male and doesn't seem to serve any other group or any other purpose outside of "hot girls are always awesome"

His games are so unique and just completely unlike 99% of the stuff out there that I do my best to ignore this stuff because there's so much else to take in. but squishy boob Quiet toy isn't helping matters.

He does tackle some interesting themes but, boy, it's often not a pretty sight. We're not that long past the vagina bomb and I'm not sure this Quiet thing is going to be handled very well given his recent history. Or his whole history, really. I dunno, I admire that he wants to bring some thought to the AAA blockbuster style game but he doesn't inspire much confidence that he could pull it off given most of his output.

To bring up the "lol bees" thing, yeah the Cobra Unit is a bunch of goofy dumb bosses but it harkens back to an era of goofy dumb bond villains like Jaws or Oddjob where being a bigger than life villain was part of the show.

But the upcoming MGS4 bosses are completely mishandled and pretty fanservice-y in ways that reminds one of the boob grabbing in Policenauts or the shower scenes in Snatcher. It just seems to be pandering to the baser instincts of the young and impressionable male and doesn't seem to serve any other group or any other purpose outside of "hot girls are always awesome"

His games are so unique and just completely unlike 99% of the stuff out there that I do my best to ignore this stuff because there's so much else to take in. but squishy boob Quiet toy isn't helping matters.

You tell them!

I too ignore and berate the Titanic movie because the naked drawing scene.

The big boss arc has never been as heavy on story as the solid snake arc. Its been that way since 3.

Yeah I guess that's true, the Big Boss stuff is more about building up to the crazy stuff that happens in the Solid Snake games. It's still a shame that one of the biggest points in Big Boss's story won't have as strong of a story focus, I'm also sad that we finally get an Ocelot and Big Boss team up just as Big Boss goes mute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom