• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Have any of you ordered shirts from the Giant Bomb store?

I ordered two and it came in today. I got one shirt and a...coffee mug? A cool mug for sure, but it ain't the shirt I ordered lol.

Does support@giantbomb.com work for store problems?

Here you go, Dan:

God of War- 94 on Metacritc (Based on 75 reviews) (PS2) (2004)
God of War II- 93 on Metacritic (Based on 70 reviews) (PS2) (2007)
God of War III- 92 on Metacritc (Based on 101 reviews) (PS3) (2010)
God of War: Chains of Olympus- 91 on Metacritc (Based on 79 reviews) (PSP) (2008)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta- 86 on Metacritic (Based on 73 reviews) (PSP) (2010)
God of War: Ascension- 80 on Metacritc (Based on 89 reviews) PS3 (2013)

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been watching a bunch of movies that I remember from my childhood but that I actually never seen because I was too young when they came out.

Watching Born on the Fourth of July for the first time right now. I wonder if Dan even seen it. I feel like this is right up his alley (so far anyway).

MdsSDrt.png

Awwwww yeahhhh

I'm 100% inclined to agree that Mario Party 5 is the best mario party.

For one reason.

Mario Party 5 also had the bonus mode games, which included hockey and volleyball. both were super simplistic but throughout all four years of college those games provided some of the most heated moments between my roommates and I. Some triumphant last second wins and heartbreaking losses were to be had in that hockey game.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm finally trying Rocket Leagues for the first time and I can't even finish the goddamn tutorial lol.

I can't hit the last ball of the rocket jump advanced tutorial.

daydream

Banned
I'm 100% inclined to agree that Mario Party 5 is the best mario party.

For one reason.

Mario Party 5 also had the bonus mode games, which included hockey and volleyball. both were super simplistic but throughout all four years of college those games provided some of the most heated moments between my roommates and I. Some triumphant last second wins and heartbreaking losses were to be had in that hockey game.

that's not super duel mode

later skater is aight but mp5's still shitty

ohhhh fuck, leaf leap

LEAF LEAP

seriously, MP5 might have the strongest minigame collection out of the whole series. And it was just after the boards were boring stuff in Mp4, and just before they became TOO wacky in MP6.

Is triple jump also in Mp5? Because that's a great game too. The record keeping stuff was awesome.

ohhhh fuck, leaf leap

LEAF LEAP

seriously, MP5 might have the strongest minigame collection out of the whole series. And it was just after the boards were boring stuff in Mp4, and just before they became TOO wacky in MP6.

Is triple jump also in Mp5? Because that's a great game too. The record keeping stuff was awesome.

Yep. I agree the minigames are the strongest in 5. Those included in the Decathlon mode alone are great. BEHOLD!

Ground Pound Down
Chomp Romp
Flower Shower
Leaf Leap
Night Light Fright
Dinger Derby
HydroStars
Will Flower
Later Skater
Triple Jump

By the way, what was MGS4's nanotech explanation for Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow again?

Honestly it still leaves stuff open. There's still a supernatural aspect to it, I dunno why Kojima cut back on it.(Granted it's a toss up on whether there will be supernatural forces for MGSV)

By the way, what was MGS4's nanotech explanation for Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow again?

like, that's the thing

it goes to lengths to
explain away each and every one of fucking vamp's powers and ocelot's current ghost possession as being technological, as well as all of the powers of the B&Bs
but things like
the sorrow, mantis, raven's shamanic visions, ocelot being possessed in mgs2, fortune's final real deflecting the missiles
are never explained away so I guess they were real magic/psychic powers all along???

like, that's the thing

it goes to lengths to
explain away each and every one of fucking vamp's powers and ocelot's current ghost possession as being technological, as well as all of the powers of the B&Bs
but things like
the sorrow, mantis, raven's shamanic visions, ocelot being possessed in mgs2, fortune's final real deflecting the missiles
are never explained away so I guess they were real magic/psychic powers all along???

Just like one of my William Burroughs books.

Kojima's entire handling of the whole
Liquid ghost arm thing
was such a weird bungling attempt to have his cake and eat it too in regards to having totally out there weirdness, continuity, and dubious technological explanations so it's totally serious for reals guys don't laugh at it.

Ocelot was clearly meant to for real be possessed by Liquid Snake's actual ghost because of an arm transplant in MGS2, and then MGS3 tries to contextualize something so absolutely bizarre by having Ocelot's father be a spirit medium and thus Ocelot is partially spiritually sensitive by heredity I guess, and then in MGS4 he suddenly reveals at the end that he has a robot arm and he was just pretending to be Liquid because ???????? and even Big Boss has no explanation outside "lol cats like to pretend to be snakes (???????????????) in his half hour torturous talkathon. Then the MGS4 Database app tries to tie this together by explaining that Ocelot really was possessed by the actual ghost of Liquid Snake because of the arm transplant, but then he got rid of the arm because it was too unstable being possessed randomly (so Liquid was kinda killed off for real... off screen between 2 and 4, in a way) but Ocelot still wanted to seem possessed by Liquid as part of ????? his plan GW, JD, AIs... something, so he used nanomachines and hypnosis to trick himself into thinking he was possessed by Liquid for... some reason.

fucking what

Kojima's entire handling of the whole
Liquid ghost arm thing
was such a weird bungling attempt to have his cake and eat it too in regards to having totally out there weirdness, continuity, and dubious technological explanations so it's totally serious for reals guys don't laugh at it.

Ocelot was clearly meant to for real be possessed by Liquid Snake's actual ghost because of an arm transplant in MGS2, and then MGS3 tries to contextualize something so absolutely bizarre by having Ocelot's father be a spirit medium and thus Ocelot is partially spiritually sensitive by heredity I guess, and then in MGS4 he suddenly reveals at the end that he has a robot arm and he was just pretending to be Liquid because ???????? and even Big Boss has no explanation outside "lol cats like to pretend to be snakes (???????????????) in his half hour torturous talkathon. Then the MGS4 Database app tries to tie this together by explaining that Ocelot really was possessed by the actual ghost of Liquid Snake because of the arm transplant, but then he got rid of the arm because it was too unstable being possessed randomly (so Liquid was kinda killed off for real... off screen between 2 and 4, in a way) but Ocelot still wanted to seem possessed by Liquid as part of ????? his plan GW, JD, AIs... something, so he used nanomachines and hypnosis to trick himself into thinking he was possessed by Liquid for... some reason.

fucking what

Well the 2nd part makes sense.

If Ocelot was sporadically being controlled by Liquid, he wouldn't be able to do much with that mental 'block' of sorts. So when he shows off his robotic arm at the end(Which I mean....if you think about it, he's further emulating Big Boss since he had a robot arm too). So in order to fool Snake to keep chasing him, he brainwashes himself with Liquids personality-So he keeps doing what Liquid would do except without the mental blockade of having a multiple personality of sorts.

Granted it's not really explained so it ends up being weird..and that's just my hypotheses of why he did it.

Well the 2nd part makes sense.

If Ocelot was sporadically being controlled by Liquid, he wouldn't be able to do much with that mental 'block' of sorts. So when he shows off his robotic arm at the end(Which I mean....if you think about it, he's further emulating Big Boss since he had a robot arm too). So in order to fool Snake to keep chasing him, he brainwashes himself with Liquids personality-So he keeps doing what Liquid would do except without the mental blockade of having a multiple personality of sorts.

Granted it's not really explained so it ends up being weird..and that's just my hypotheses of why he did it.

well yes i get why being "possessed" on your own terms is better than having a ghost intrude on you at random, but... why did he need to be possessed, again? he's ocelot, he could have just pretended to still be possessed with his triple cross acting skills. or, like... just openly revolted against the patriots since unless I forgot something where pretending to be possessed by Liquid allowed him to do something to the Patriots then why is this even a thing. that's what gets me. were the fucking supercomputers fooled by the ghost act and treated ocelot's plan differently than they would if they thought he was normal ocelot? did ocelot fool computers into believing in ghosts?????

instead of explaining this it's just
I AM LIQUID'S DOPPELGANGER AND YOU ARE BIG BOSS'S
uh okay

well yes i get why being "possessed" on your own terms is better than having a ghost intrude on you at random, but... why did he need to be possessed, again? he's ocelot, he could have just pretended to still be possessed with his triple cross acting skills. or, like... just openly revolted against the patriots since unless I forgot something where pretending to be possessed by Liquid allowed him to do something to the Patriots then why is this even a thing. that's what gets me. were the fucking supercomputers fooled by the ghost act and treated ocelot's plan differently than they would if they thought he was normal ocelot? did ocelot fool computers into believing in ghosts?????

instead of explaining this it's just
I AM LIQUID'S DOPPELGANGER AND YOU ARE BIG BOSS'S
uh okay

Ocelots fucking weird though, I don't think we ever found out his damn motives. Maybe they'll be revealed in MGSV but...he meows like a damn cat in MGS3. That guy ain't right in the head.

Haha. That particular plot hole is a mess.
In retrospect, Kojima should have retconned Liquid's death at the end of the first game right off the bat. "Oh, I saw you die in Alaska but somehow your body was retrieved and resurrected with nanomachines" It would have been silly, but not this silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom