• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
we still don't know what space whale ischmael and shit are about in mgsv right? should be good laughs

I hope it's either supernatural or Big Boss experiencing visions. Please stop explaining things. We don't need technical explanations in a series with a telekinetic, a bee man, a guy with photosynthesis, and ghosts.

Kojima's entire handling of the whole
Liquid ghost arm thing
was such a weird bungling attempt to have his cake and eat it too in regards to having totally out there weirdness, continuity, and dubious technological explanations so it's totally serious for reals guys don't laugh at it.

Ocelot was clearly meant to for real be possessed by Liquid Snake's actual ghost because of an arm transplant in MGS2, and then MGS3 tries to contextualize something so absolutely bizarre by having Ocelot's father be a spirit medium and thus Ocelot is partially spiritually sensitive by heredity I guess, and then in MGS4 he suddenly reveals at the end that he has a robot arm and he was just pretending to be Liquid because ???????? and even Big Boss has no explanation outside "lol cats like to pretend to be snakes (???????????????) in his half hour torturous talkathon. Then the MGS4 Database app tries to tie this together by explaining that Ocelot really was possessed by the actual ghost of Liquid Snake because of the arm transplant, but then he got rid of the arm because it was too unstable being possessed randomly (so Liquid was kinda killed off for real... off screen between 2 and 4, in a way) but Ocelot still wanted to seem possessed by Liquid as part of ????? his plan GW, JD, AIs... something, so he used nanomachines and hypnosis to trick himself into thinking he was possessed by Liquid for... some reason.

fucking what

I haven't played the game but I clicked on that spoiler and fucking what

Xyrmellon

I just finished Danswers....Dan, how can you know the intricacies of the stock market and know nothing about a mortgage? I know they're two different things but we're in the same ballpark here...

justjim89

The winner for each week gets their logo displayed on the homepage for the next week. Like, a custom GBEast logo if GBEast wins or the standard one if GBest wins.

It's a mouth, not a tongue.

MdsSDrt.png

Awwwww yeahhhh

I was playing as KaneLynch during that TNT, see if you can find the segment on Facing Worlds where I make Ryan lose his fucking shit getting the flag back for Patrick's time at the last possible second.

Good times.

Speaking of bad writing, here's actual dialogue of a business meeting between Sega and Sony from a book that Forbes' Paul Tassi claims is "far and away one of the best non-fiction books [he's] ever read"

Console Wars said:
Olafsson looked at Schulhof, hinting that there was potentially something here. They paused again for a bite or two of their delicious seafood dinner before Olafsson spoke up once more. "We're obviously not at a place to jump into anything of substance here," he said. "But we have no reservations saying that we like you, and I believe that feeling is mutual."

Kalinske nodded; it certainly was.

"So we're two teens in love," Olafsson mused, "ready to offer the world to each other, but any consummation would require parental approval."

"And Japanese parents have a reputation for being strict," Kalinske added.

Paul Tassi has read one book. He also doesn't know what non-fiction is, but, to be fair, neither does the author.

I'm only 200 or so pages into Console Wars, and I already feel compelled to share its horrors with people who can understand my pain. It is unspeakably bad. So hold MGS4 tight, because game writing gets much, much worse.

Speaking of bad writing, here's actual dialogue of a business meeting between Sega and Sony from a book that Forbes' Paul Tassi claims is "far and away one of the best non-fiction books [he's] ever read"

Paul Tassi has read one book. He also doesn't know what non-fiction is, but, to be fair, neither does the author.

I'm only 200 or so pages into Console Wars, and I already feel compelled to share its horrors with people who can understand my pain. It is unspeakably bad. So hold MGS4 tight, because game writing gets much, much worse.

I thought it was a silly page-turner with a really interesting story at the root of it, but yeah, some of the dialogue is terabad.

Jintor

Game Over is the game history book you want to read. Better than Masters of Doom for sure. Pity it ends around 1994 or '95.

I thought it was a silly page-turner with a really interesting story at the root of it, but yeah, some of the dialogue is terabad.

The AV Club calls it a "good story poorly told," which is an understatement on both ends.

Game Over is the game history book you want to read. Better than Masters of Doom for sure. Pity it ends around 1994 or '95.

Chris Kohler's review of Console Wars said it has the same dialogue-heavy style as Game Over, so I'm wary of that book. Of course, Kohler also gave a glowing review to Console Wars, so he's clearly untrustworthy. I think it's out of print, too.

I also want to check out that insane Wario Land 4 design book, but I wish it was about a game I actually like.

Jintor

Game Over doesn't, to my rememberence, try and do some real time thing like Console Wars apparently tries to do (not the classic chapters, anyway). It is out of print though iirc. (I somehow have two copies of it though... back home). I'll vouch for it, I really do think it is a fantastic book, though the post-original edition chapters aren't nearly as good as everything from the foundations of Nintendo up until around the end of the SNES.

Spent the last two hours avoiding this thread until I caught up on tonight's Breaking Bradborne. It was more exciting this way not knowing if he was gonna make it. Also a bit of a waste because he didn't make it.

Damn.

I also noticed that the shirt I didn't get isn't listed on the store anymore. And it was technically a pre-order back when I ordered it. The black logo shirt in "heather gray". Weird.
Really? Crap, I ordered that shirt too. Although I got my shipping confirmation last week. I expect customs will hold it up because I was impatient and ordered with a broken shipping rate.
"You're ruining Metal Gear!"

Man. I still can't decide if I think MGS4 was a crushing disappointment or the best fucking thing on the PS3.
That song couldn't have been more apt for Metal Gear!

The people who think MGS1+3 are better than MGS2+4 have to be the same people who think 999 is better than VLR. I don't understand these people. I don't want to understand these people.

Xater

I've been wondering how Dan uses a mouse that zooming with middle mouse is such a huge issue? I mean it's not ideal but I have three fingers on top of my mouse at all times.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been wondering how Dan uses a mouse that zooming with middle mouse is such a huge issue? I mean it's not ideal but I have three fingers on top of my mouse at all times.

Wait what? That sounds highly uncomfortable.

Index for both left and middle, middle finger for right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom