• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno... I still mix them up from time to time but not that often.

We had the same problem when Jason and Dan started at GB West and we would never confuse them nowadays.

Yeah, it's just gonna be a time thing for me. I never confused Jason and Dan probably because I was already familiar with Dan's voice, but I do remember when I first got into Bombcast I couldn't properly tell Jeff, Brad, and Vinny's voices apart for about a month.

Jeff and Austin have completely different ways of talking but their voices fit almost the exact same pitch/tone range so if one just says "huh" or "yeah" they're almost indistinguishable.

Austin has a super identifiable way of speaking.

LiK

I never mixed them up but here are the people listeners here often confuse them with for some reason.

JJ and John - 8-4

Jason and Dan - Bombcast

Austin and Jeff - Beastcast

I dunno, I can tell them apart but I tend to listen quite intently while I'm at work. I can understand people having issues if they're listening in the car or when they're doing other stuff.

and Jake/Nick from Idle Thumbs

it's honestly a pretty interesting phenomenon, how we unconsciously learn to pick up nuances in speech that almost become a vocal fingerprint

and then people developed machines to do the same thing

Myggen

I never mixed them up but here are the people listeners here often confuse them with for some reason.

JJ and John - 8-4

Jason and Dan - Bombcast

Austin and Jeff - Beastcast

I dunno, I can tell them apart but I tend to listen quite intently while I'm at work. I can understand people having issues if they're listening in the car or when they're doing other stuff.

I don't think it's that people are just listening to the podcasts as background noise, it just seems like some people mix up voices on podcasts while others don't. My experience is that it helps to actually be able to put a face on the voices, watch a video. I've seen plenty of people say they were able to tell the 8-4 guys apart after they watched Brad interviewing them.

justjim89

Thief 1 and 2 are the best stealth games ever released and they're entirely first person. Know your role.

Neon Struct is a really charming game in that regard cause it feels a lot like Thief, if maybe a bit too simple.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
After years of 8-4, I still can't tell two of them apart. Never had the problem with the Beastcast.

Myggen

After years of 8-4, I still can't tell two of them apart. Never had the problem with the Beastcast.

Yeah, 8-4 with JJ and John is the only one I've had trouble with for years. I'm now able to tell them apart, but it took me a couple of years of listening to the podcast. I've never had that problem with any other podcast.

Jeff and Austin have completely different ways of talking but their voices fit almost the exact same pitch/tone range so if one just says "huh" or "yeah" they're almost indistinguishable.

Austin has a super identifiable way of speaking.
It's pretty easy for me to tell them apart normally because cadences and accents are different. It's the raw sound of their voices that can throw me off sometimes.

My experience is that it helps to actually be able to put a face on the voices, watch a video. I've seen plenty of people say they were able to tell the 8-4 guys apart after they watched Brad interviewing them.

I started telling them apart once I saw them talking on video together, but it took years and I still mix them up sometimes.

LiK

That one seems common but I could always tell them apart. Never understood why people had trouble with them. They sound pretty distinctive to me.

Fjordson

I know I'm late, but had to break my lurker status to appreciate this:

2687502-otakudan.jpg

Amazing.

I have never listened to 8-4, but if y'all vouch for it even after all this time I suppose I should give it a try.
It's great. Actually deepened my interest in Japanese games. And the fact that most of them are Americans transplanted into the Japanese gaming industry gives the show an interesting perspective.

Sulik2

I have never listened to 8-4, but if y'all vouch for it even after all this time I suppose I should give it a try.

You better like Nintendo and Destiny. I dropped it for the constant Nintendo talk. They are a great group of people though.

The last two Beastcasts have been phenomenal. They finally got their groove on. Might I say it's been more fun than Bombcast. Lots of energy.

The Her Story discussion was incredible game discussion to go with the crazy hilarious off topic rants they ended up on. Beastcast is the best GB podcast now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's hilarious that the codes could be guessed.

It was all hilarious. Starting with the leak about this promotion and the tire fire that was Destiny PR leading up to the info coming out, then a GAF thread telling people how to steal codes with way too long before somebody realized it would invalidate codes by suckers who bought Red Bull just to make it look like Destiny isn't quite so content starved, and then those invalid codes becoming news.

Even if you don't agree with its placement on the GOTY list, "Watching Destiny News Unfold" is certainly in the top 10 gaming meta games of the year.

Sulik2

I'm going to posit something, what would happen if Drew hosted the Bombcast instead of Brad? I imagine it would make him talk more and we would get a better email selection.

I'm going to posit something, what would happen if Drew hosted the Bombcast instead of Brad? I imagine it would make him talk more and we would get a better email selection.

He's a pretty great host, but I worry we would just get the return of Sleepy Brad.

I think Drew's role would work better if Dan wasn't so quiet during a lot of the news segments.

I don't want Brad to stop hosting as that just means that Brad will fall likely fall into the background, he's far more chatty when hosting.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Old Games Show and Ranking the Fighters on a regular schedule of alternating Wednesdays would be pretty great. Hopefully that happens, but this being GB I'm not holding my breath.

LiK

Has Jeff finished any games that came out this year so far? He doesn't seem to like any of the big games that came out this year from what I recall on the Bombcasts. Both Witcher 3 and Batman annoyed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom