• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The only problem then would be to finish up MGS4 and Ground Zeroes by the start of September.

Moreover, Dan mentioned on the podcast that they wanted to slide peace Walker in as well (I'm not sure how much of Peace Walker). So how that fits in as well would be troublesome (even from a locking up the footage standpoint).

Hmm, true.

I'm still playing through peace walker, and I'm not sure if it would make consistently great viewing. I suppose it's not too long, but where I'm at now
(chapter 5), it seems like it's gonna get fairly grindy/time-consuming to get to the real conclusion of the game?

BTA

Speaking of bad writing, here's actual dialogue of a business meeting between Sega and Sony from a book that Forbes' Paul Tassi claims is "far and away one of the best non-fiction books [he's] ever read"

Paul Tassi has read one book. He also doesn't know what non-fiction is, but, to be fair, neither does the author.

I'm only 200 or so pages into Console Wars, and I already feel compelled to share its horrors with people who can understand my pain. It is unspeakably bad. So hold MGS4 tight, because game writing gets much, much worse.

Oh man, I read that book almost exactly a year ago, and... yeah. I enjoyed it, it was entertaining and interesting, but it was also a mess. Totally worth it for seeing what horrible things Sega almost released upon the world with that ad campaign they turned down, though.

Volotaire

Hmm, true.

I'm still playing through peace walker, and I'm not sure if it would make consistently great viewing. I suppose it's not too long, but where I'm at now
(chapter 5), it seems like it's gonna get fairly grindy/time-consuming to get to the real conclusion of the game?

Yes, I am in agreement about skipping/downsizing Peace Walker. A lot of the key story components are also sidelined towards the end of the main game (chapters 3-5) as well. There's a lot of management that will make for boring on screen viewing and the mission structure does not lend itself well to streaming either. I'm still contemplating if I should do the very very last mission. Minor spoilers for the post missions
You have to basically repeat the same mission 6 times in different, visited maps and unlock them by playing side missions for each one. The last mission in this chapter is the main 'story' based component which requires more side missions.

Guys should I spend $20 on this crappy game just for the dumb statue?

91TNR2-Cz-L._SL1500_.jpg
I should note that I don't own a PS4.

Kelas

Yes, I am in agreement about skipping/downsizing Peace Walker. A lot of the key story components are also sidelined towards the end of the main game (chapters 3-5) as well. There's a lot of management that will make for boring on screen viewing and the mission structure does not lend itself well to streaming either. I'm still contemplating if I should do the very very last mission. Minor spoilers for the post missions
You have to basically repeat the same mission 6 times in different, visited maps and unlock them by playing side missions for each one. The last mission in this chapter is the main 'story' based component which requires more side missions.

The missions you're talking about, are they the
zadornov missions? I've done 5 of those, I think, and currently have a couple of mech side-ops left to do, including Pupa II. Is this close to the end? I tried the Pupa II battle twice last night and it seems like, despite keeping on top of management/side-ops/upgrades til this point, I just don't have strong enough weapons to take it out. I managed to get it down to 4 bars of life before running out of everything, including all supply marker ammo. So I'm thinking I need to go back and re-do missions, keep getting better staff to unlock better upgrades, then probably grind more mech battles to get parts for ZEKE?

If a limited edition doesnt come with a Iconic Cap I aint buying it.

Those statues they pack in with the special editions always seem like the dumbest thing to me. And they always just end up clogging up shop shelves and being sold for peanuts 3 months later no matter what.

Kelas

I almost bought the Assassin's Creed II Black Edition years ago. Cancelled my pre-order a few weeks before release when I came to my senses.

Volotaire

The missions you're talking about, are they the
zadornov missions? I've done 5 of those, I think, and currently have a couple of mech side-ops left to do, including Pupa II. Is this close to the end? I tried the Pupa II battle twice last night and it seems like, despite keeping on top of management/side-ops/upgrades til this point, I just don't have strong enough weapons to take it out. I managed to get it down to 4 bars of life before running out of everything, including all supply marker ammo. So I'm thinking I need to go back and re-do missions, keep getting better staff to unlock better upgrades, then probably grind more mech battles to get parts for ZEKE?

Yeh, the Zadornov missions.There's one more Zadornov mission to complete and then the 'final mission'. You can beat any side ops to unlock them, including ones you have completed. The ZEKE part (the main story apparently) is the one I've got left to do too, I might get through that tonight.

EDIT:
For vehicles, if you get R and D high enough, you can develop mines that target vehicles and helicopters. Higher RPG, etc. Use the supply drop marker too and develop it. Oh you already mentioned that oops.

Those statues they pack in with the special editions always seem like the dumbest thing to me. And they always just end up clogging up shop shelves and being sold for peanuts 3 months later no matter what.

I don't even like that sort of knick-knack shit. I just love the idea that some people paid $80+ for it.

When they first brought up the idea of Metal gear Scanlon 5 a month or two ago Jeff made a Saliant point. It's one thing playing through years old games, but doing a full play through of a brand new game feels kind of weird...

I think they should just let drew play it when it's new and let the series conclude with Metal Scanlon 4...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I always took the point of the series as catching Drew (and the viewer) up on MGS before 5 came out. Never really expected them to play through the new one.

When they first brought up the idea of Metal gear Scanlon 5 a month or two ago Jeff made a Saliant point. It's one thing playing through years old games, but doing a full play through of a brand new game feels kind of weird...

I think they should just let drew play it when it's new and let the series conclude with Metal Scanlon 4...

But certainly they should do something, right? Drew/Dan on the QL at least.

I always took the point of the series as catching Drew (and the viewer) up on MGS before 5 came out. Never really expected them to play through the new one.

Yea I agree with that. Just because MGS is awesome doesn't mean we need to see drew play every single damn game streamed lol

Edit: (Above Post) Yea I think that's a good middle ground. Let Drew be apart of the Zeitgeist and have he and Dan do the QL Together

Kelas

Yeh, the Zadornov missions.There's one more Zadornov mission to complete and then the 'final mission'. You can beat any side ops to unlock them, including ones you have completed. The ZEKE part (the main story apparently) is the one I've got left to do too, I might get through that tonight.

EDIT:
For vehicles, if you get R and D high enough, you can develop mines that target vehicles and helicopters. Higher RPG, etc. Use the supply drop marker too and develop it. Oh you already mentioned that oops.

Ok, thanks. I'm gonna keep going. It's tedious but I wanna see it out.

I wonder if, left to his own devices, drew would actually play tpp. He probably would, I suppose. We'll see how he likes GZ, but it should really be his favourite in terms of controls, at least.

Jintor

revengeance is a decent game for a platinum rush job but it really is the music kicking in during the boss fights specifically that I think really elevates it.

I was banking on this for the Titanfall statue and those haven't come down in price at all.

Haha, what'd you do?

Radiohead came up (Jeff was riding with Dave that day), and I mentioned in the chat that Radiohead is music that is appreciated by artists because of their intricate and sophisticated musicianship.

Except instead of that, I wrote "Radiohead is for people that understand music", which is just the worst way to word it. Came across as super douchey, and that's how Jeff interpreted it.

Jeff answered my question about his Jim Van Bebber namedrop in the DP ER and I'm pretty stoked that I could be involved in an intersection of 3 things I adore

jeff has answered 3 of my questions so far on his tumblr

ive so made it

Can't even let me enjoy my moment :(
Radiohead came up (Jeff was riding with Dave that day), and I mentioned in the chat that Radiohead is music that is appreciated by artists because of their intricate and sophisticated musicianship.

Except instead of that, I wrote "Radiohead is for people that understand music", which is just the worst way to word it. Came across as super douchey, and that's how Jeff interpreted it.
Yeah sure, that qualifies as a human piece of garbage.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
I want to play a game that is like Rise of Incarnates, but definitely not Rise of Incarnates. Maybe a Dragon Ball one, or I guess I would try that Gundam one Austin kept talking about. I watched a bit of Gundam Wing as a kid, and I remember wanting to like it so bad. Wasn't there a character named Ketchup or something?

I hear there's a decent thread about Gundam ExVs on some message board.

The problem I'd have with 3 fingers on a mouse is that I have trouble moving my middle and ring fingers independently when it comes to very fine control.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty funny that God of War 3 remastered gets a review. Probably the least needed review this year.

Only that I don't have to contort my fingers in any way. I just put my hand on the mouse. You guys are just jelly you can't master this advanced technique.
Don't worry, I'm using it the same way. I actually changed to this style on purpose one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom