• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
That dude's Ayn Rand t-shirt is ironic, right?

Probably not. He's made no secret he is a Republican in San Francisco. However, he's quite unique. His conservative political beliefs only truly deal with government. He believes in small governments. However, unlike many other Republicans, he is very, very socially liberal. In fact, prior to the same-sex marriage ruling weeks ago, he said on multiple occasions, if Republicans really strive for less government involvement in people's lives, they all should've been pro-same sex marriage and those who were against it were being hypocritical. He also believes we spend way too much money on the military and the funds should be diverted instead to NASA to fund space exploration as wells as to the Arts and Humanities to foster creativity.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Totally off topic: do any of you anime-loving shitheels have thoughts on Turn A Gundam? I'm intrigued by the premise and wondering if it's worth checking out.

Probably not. He's made no secret he is a Republican in San Francisco. However, he's quite unique. His conservative political beliefs only truly deal with government. He believes in small governments. However, unlike many other Republicans, he is very, very socially liberal. In fact, prior to the same-sex marriage ruling weeks ago, he said on multiple occasions, if Republicans really strive for less government involvement in people's lives, they all should've been pro-same sex marriage and those who were against it were being hypocritical. He also believes we spend way too much money on the military and the funds should be diverted instead to NASA to fund space exploration as wells as to the Arts and Humanities to foster creativity.

It's as if we shouldn't generalize people based on the connotations of one aspect of their interests. We seem to do that a lot in this thread, on this webzone, and on this internet.

I am still not a huge Kinda Funny fan, and the fact they left IGN to produce such similar content to when they were at IGN does not help. A supposed independent group having a E3 stage show is just silly - much more interesting/funny things could have been done witht that time

Anime is for Jerks

Now that's a generalization I can get behind.

I am still not a huge Kinda Funny fan, and the fact they left IGN to produce such similar content to when they were at IGN does not help. A supposed independent group having a E3 stage show is just silly - much more interesting/funny things could have been done witht that time

It's not just that, though, it's far worse. They also have a YouTube show where they talk about strippers and girls' butts and stuff.

It's as if we shouldn't generalize people based on the connotations of one aspect of their interests. We seem to do that a lot in this thread, on this webzone, and on this internet.

And the unfortunate thing is, people are always blasting Colin for beliefs they expect he has because of his political affiliations. It's perhaps the biggest reason I can't stand politics.

It's not just that, though, it's far worse. They also have a YouTube show where they talk about strippers and girls' butts and stuff.

Whenever there is a topic like that on the GameOverGreggy Show, it usually comes from either Tim or Nick. They even host a love advice show called Love and Sex Stuff. Greg and Colin's topics are typically better. Greg usually has the nerdy topics and Colin usually has the "mature" ones. For instance, in the past two weeks Colin did topics on the Confederate Flag controversy, as well as the Same-Sex Marriage Ruling. His are usually the least watched.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's only four guys there. Giant Bomb started similarly, if I recall. The early days was Jeff, Ryan, Brand, and Vinny, right?

I don't know, my meaning is more the blanket way of 'all those dudes look like they buy clothes from the same places, get haircuts from the same barber and all have the same kind of humor.' That's just from my experience watching them during the E3 stuff on Gamespot.

They just all look like the stock yutube gamer/modern video games media 'type' if you were to imagine one without reference. It's like that picture at Ubisoft with everyone wearing plaid short sleeve shirts.

The early days of Giant Bomb were literally just Jeff and Ryan with like an engineer or two doing the site stuff but not actually appearing in any content. Brad and Vinny weren't there for a bit, at least a few months.

Those solo Jeff QLs were super weird

The early days of Giant Bomb were literally just Jeff and Ryan with like an engineer or two doing the site stuff but not actually appearing in any content. Brad and Vinny weren't there for a bit, at least a few months.

Those solo Jeff QLs were super weird

Wasn't there some sort of blog before the site itself launched?

And the unfortunate thing is, people are always blasting Colin for beliefs they expect he has because of his political affiliations. It's perhaps the biggest reason I can't stand politics.

it's almost as if people might draw conclusions about you if your most publicly facing identity (i.e. online handles and clothing) indirectly associates you with shitheads

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Turn A is the lower tier of Gundam.

Yeah, I have to admit Gundam overall has never really done it for me. Which has always surprised me because I love me some mecha, but every Gundam series I've tried to watch was just too dry for me to make it through more than a few episodes. The sort of "Steampunk Gundam" aesthetic of Turn A intrigues me though.

FStop7

Banned

If someone is rocking Ayn Rand gear I'm gonna generalize the fuck out of them because they're asking to be generalized. Don't want to be thought of as an idiot? Don't make yourself an idiot's walking billboard.

Based on the description the guy sounds like the epitome of the neo-libertarian technophile that has pretty much ruined the bay area.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I would add 'american' to that. Their bubble just becomes obvious sometimes, since they have specific non-games talk. Can't stand them.

They are obnoxious and lacking in self awareness. Terrible. They are what early GB would have been like if Jeff and Ryan weren't decent guys.

yup, arrow pointing down. And there was a whole lotta energy drink talk back then

Aww man, Arrow Pointing Down. I feel oldddd... They really weren't the good old days though. GB is probably better than it has ever been. Maybe, just before Ryan's passing was a bit better, but that's a sad part of life...

Red UFO

Aww man, Arrow Pointing Down. I feel oldddd... They really weren't the good old days though. GB is probably better than it has ever been. Maybe, just before Ryan's passing was a bit better, but that's a sad part of life...
I think most would consider the "good old days" to be the latter months of Whiskey Media. I.e. when they ditched Happy Hour and came up with shows like Random PC Game and Load Our Last Save.

I think it'll just all be down to what you find entertaining. For me The old Whiskey days when they were all together and had a good group of friends and co-workers from the other sites dropping by all the time were much better. These days I still enjoy the content but as I find Dan annoying at times and still miss Vinny interacting with the rest of the team (plus missing Ryan of course) I dont get the same enjoyment as I used to.

*Trying hard not to just make this a "The Whiskey Days were so much better!" post lol

tuxfool

Banned

I like Colin, but then in the middle of a conversation he casually talks about taxes as the Gov't robbing people.

They are obnoxious and lacking in self awareness. Terrible. They are what early GB would have been like if Jeff and Ryan weren't decent guys.

I like them all, but, Tim, the youngest one (26), said something that made want to scream. Colin is someone who values science and NASA and all they do. Every day this week on Colin and Greg Live he has talked about New Horizons. Tim, on the other hand, during a video a few months ago, thinks NASA is useless. He seriously thinks Apple producing new products is more important for humanity than space exploration and colonizing the Moon or Mars. This is the up and coming generation that will be making the important decisions. I feared for our future that day.

FStop7

Banned

I like Colin, but then in the middle of a conversation he casually talks about taxes as the Gov't robbing people.

Yeah we're done here. These guys aren't even worth talking about, particularly not in the GB thread. It's just going to turn into another Game Trailers thing, so let's stop now before it does.

I like them all, but, Tim, the youngest one (26), said something that made want to scream. Colin is someone who values science and NASA and all they do. Every day this week on Colin and Greg Live he has talked about New Horizons. Tim, on the other hand, during a video a few months ago, thinks NASA is useless. He seriously thinks Apple producing new products is more important for humanity than space exploration and colonizing the Moon or Mars. This is the up and coming generation that will be making the important decisions. I feared for our future that day.

i would honestly be more scared of someone who doesnt think taxation should exist then someone who is young and doesnt see the value in nasa (especially when he presumably does not have a stem degree)

one you might grow out of

the other you probably dont

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I think it'll just all be down to what you find entertaining. For me The old Whiskey days when they were all together and had a good group of friends and co-workers from the other sites dropping by all the time were much better. These days I still enjoy the content but as I find Dan annoying at times and still miss Vinny interacting with the rest of the team (plus missing Ryan of course) I dont get the same enjoyment as I used to.

*Trying hard not to just make this a "The Whiskey Days were so much better!" post lol

One of the best things of that period was the deep bench of people they could draw from. Most weren't great (I don't like Tested) but it was nice having people like Dave around. Now, with East, West and GS this is possible and the quality is generally higher. GBeast is hitting it out of the park right now.

i can't wait until we get GB north and south

Also

6ee89595715b9e5ea990bb8ff1030644.png

One of the best things of that period was the deep bench of people they could draw from. Most weren't great (I don't like Tested) but it was nice having people like Dave around. Now, with East, West and GS this is possible and the quality is generally higher. GBeast is hitting it out of the park right now.

Once again, down to preferences. I still find Alex a bit hit and miss so dont always enjoy GBEast's stuff.

Patryn

If I had to pick an event for the end of the "Golden Age" of Giant Bomb it would be Patrick leaving for Chicago.

Yes, Ryan passing away was a much bigger blow, but Patrick leaving was the first crack in the group dynamic.

I seriously loved those five-man Bombcasts. Ryan did a great job ensuring that everyone got a say (even though Brad slept through the e-mail portion regularly).

Naturally, GB's Silver Age started with the hiring of Dan and Jason.

i would honestly be more scared of someone who doesnt think taxation should exist then someone who is young and doesnt see the value in nasa (especially when he presumably does not have a stem degree)

one you might grow out of

the other you probably dont

A bit of context with Colin. He's an American History major and his Twitter handle is actually a reference to DC's motto: No Taxation without Representation (DC gets taxed, yet has no representative in Congress, which DC residents resent). I don't think Colin actually believe all taxes should go away.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder will Austin mention his education on the podcast this week, he almost does it as much as Dan mentions wrestling.

He's earned the right to do so, right? I mean, he will (hopefully) soon be Dr. Walker. And Dan might mention MGS as much as wresting and action movies (or movies with cool people doing cool stuff).

I'm hoping for Rocket League, as its a game that can really pit East vs. West.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wonder will Austin mention his education on the podcast this week, he almost does it as much as Dan mentions wrestling.

As an academic, I would suggest a 100% probability of that happening.

justjim89

I enjoy Kinda Funny now and then. Greg Miller is just a happy, enthusiastic guy. Cut from the same cloth as Dan and Max Scoville where there's just no cynicism in them compared to other people in games media. Doesn't take shit too seriously. Not crazy about the other 3, but I need my Miller fix now and again.

He's also hilarious on Super Knockin' Boots.

I enjoy Kinda Funny now and then. Greg Miller is just a happy, enthusiastic guy. Cut from the same cloth as Dan and Max Scoville where there's just no cynicism in them compared to other people in games media. Doesn't take shit too seriously. Not crazy about the other 3, but I need my Miller fix now and again.

He's also hilarious on Super Knockin' Boots/

I've heard he is an absolute pro at moderating panels at conventions.

A bit of context with Colin. He's an American History major and his Twitter handle is actually a reference to DC's motto: No Taxation without Representation (DC gets taxed, yet has no representative in Congress, which DC residents resent). I don't think Colin actually believe all taxes should go away.

I give props to the guy for daring to wear that shirt in SF ironically, and the reasons are upthread.

Volotaire

An early 20th century liberal (UK terms). a modern version of economic conservatism (a necessity to tend towards the middle) but socially liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom