• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You actually play as a clone of quiet.

That's the big twist.

And Quiet is actually...
GRANNY GOODNESS!!!!
eheMnmn.jpg

What, were you expecting me to say Thanos?

j/k

hamchan

What I'm worried about is that MGSV won't make for a good Scanlon series since it seems to be mostly doing missions so far and not that much story.

GavinGT

Banned
Does the game adequately justify Quiet's cleavage as Kojima said it would? Should we all feel ashamed (more so than already)?

What I'm worried about is that MGSV won't make for a good Scanlon series since it seems to be mostly doing missions so far and not that much story.

I think it has potential to be the most interesting yet, Drew's truck escape in Ground Zeros was pretty great so seeing how he decides to tackle various objectives could be real entertaining.

Myggen

Could we try to keep spoilers out of this thread, even if they're spoiler tagged? The reason for Quiet being dressed like she is is a spoiler in my mind.

Jothel

So how safe is the MGSV Quick Look? Not really worried about what they show, but what they say / allude to.

I'm about an hour in and they've actively avoided saying/showing too much story stuff.
Apart from they've said what is in Big Boss's head, in a kind of matter-of-fact way that makes me think that everyone already knew what it was?

Cronen

Brad talking about how crazy or difficult the stealth is in the MGSV somewhat confuses me. I've had the game for about a week now and I can't say it's been as bad as he has put it. I've not really had troops see me from far away, and I haven't had to crawl around too much.

But I guess in the end it's just down to how each individual finds it to be.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I need help! What does the Gear part in Metal Gear specifically refer to? I know that a Metal Gear is a mobile nuclear launch platform, but why the name? Is it gear, as in, equipment/armour? Or is it some weird cog metaphor Kojima made up in 1986?
I tried to translate the title to someone yesterday and nothing really made any sense.

edit:
Also, when can we expect the panel to be up?

Like, in a real life?

Brad: "I can't do it anymore it keeps looking at me..."

Jason: "DO IT BRAD."

I mean, now that you mention it, I feel like Jason would be the one who would be most likely to complete that task. He may not enjoy it but I feel like he could get it done if needed.

I need help! What does the Gear part in Metal Gear specifically refer to? I know that a Metal Gear is a mobile nuclear launch platform, but why the name? Is it gear, as in, equipment/armour? Or is it some weird cog metaphor Kojima made up in 1986?
I tried to translate the title to someone yesterday and nothing really made any sense.

edit:
Also, when can we expect the panel to be up?

it's literally written as ギア, which is just the english word "gear." but if I had to guess, it's a cog since "equipment" is colloquial usage.

ArjanN

it's literally written as ギア, which is just the english word "gear." but if I had to guess, it's a cog since "equipment" is colloquial usage.

I think it's also that it's just one of the those random English words that happen to sound cool to Japanese.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But...why?

I think it's also that it's just one of the those random English words that happen to sound cool to Japanese.
I guess...

edit:
Found this quote:
"Yes, a walking tank - a robot! Are you familiar with the theory of the missing link between apes and humans? Well, this technology will be the missing link between infantry and artillery. A kind of metal gear, if you well." ~ Granin, MGS3
But that's from almost 20 years after the first Metal Gear game came out, so yeah.

trying to understand the logic behind random english words in japanese titles is a fool's errand

especially after reading this book and hearing multiple devs say that they just threw some words together for titles

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The missing link between infantry and artillery makes no goddamn sense though.

They just slapped legs instead of threads onto a tank.

hamchan

I think it has potential to be the most interesting yet, Drew's truck escape in Ground Zeros was pretty great so seeing how he decides to tackle various objectives could be real entertaining.

Sure, just have to say keep your expectations in check, expect something different. The structure of past Metal Gears have been long cutscenes, a short gameplay section, boss battle, and long cutscene repeat.

I've played 8 hours of MGSV so far and it's felt like most of that is gameplay doing missions that have felt sorta filler. There hasn't been much story and Snake has barely talked.

I know that Drew is in this series mainly for the story so it'll be...interesting to see how he reacts to there being near none, at least in these opening stages of the game.

Sure, just have to say keep your expectations in check, expect something different. The structure of past Metal Gears have been long cutscenes, a short gameplay section, boss battle, and long cutscene repeat.

I've played 8 hours of MGSV so far and it's felt like most of that is gameplay doing missions that have felt sorta filler. There hasn't been much story and Snake has barely talked.

I know that Drew is in this series mainly for the story so it'll be...interesting to see how he reacts to there being near none, at least in these opening stages of the game.

It's definitely going to be different, I have to wonder if they will listen to the tapes that you get. I'm only about 5 hours in but there have been a lot of them and they contain a lot of the exposition you would normally get from a cutscene in Metal gear.

Excellent question.

Also why does he look older if he's younger and a "better" clone.

I guess being President is stressful?

I thought that it was so he looked more like Big Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom