• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotaku/Gawker Media calling out 'misinformation'.

l45alD4.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I thought people were pretty positive about what they'd seen up until now? I haven't seen a single frame of the game yet, though, so I'm really looking forward to the QL.

I hadn't really seen much that was positive, just a lot of concern that it looked like the game would wear thin real quick. That and the pop-in. God damn. I watched like five minutes of a video and the only thing I remember is the draw distance of eight god damned feet.

I hadn't really seen much that was positive, just a lot of concern that it looked like the game would wear thin real quick. That and the pop-in. God damn. I watched like five minutes of a video and the only thing I remember is the draw distance of eight god damned feet.

that's usually a pretty desirable feature in desert/wasteland environments, 10/10

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
that's usually a pretty desirable feature in desert/wasteland environments, 10/10

It was super disorienting. Any small rocks or plant life just appeared once they got in your immediate vicinity. I couldn't stop looking just ahead of the car to see all of the environmental details will themselves into existence.

edit: Also it was only the small things. The larger terrain was visible from a distance, but any level of detail came in way too close to the car. This is the Gamespot video that I was watching. It happens in a lot of open world games but it was more noticeable because it's just a desert and the small details are the only details that exist.

Teddified

As much as I love the game ( and i really really love it), I don't think MGSV is gonna be a great Metal Gear Scanlon watch.

Yeah, I got that feeling from watching the QL. Unless there is some high quality conversation or a third person I feel like the down times will just drag as a viewer and make me wanna skip ahead.

Bacon

Yeah, I got that feeling from watching the QL. Unless there is some high quality conversation or a third person I feel like the down times will just drag as a viewer and make me wanna skip ahead.

And it's a long ass game. Shit is gonna take like 50 episodes to finish

They should play the opening 2 hours and a few mission and call it a day. And maybe do a commentary on the expected MGSV: the movie when it comes out.

And it pains me to say this because I enjoyed this feature a lot.

KingKong

its not an endurance run, so they dont have to show the whole thing right? they could just focus on the main story missions and not show all the other stuff

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
its not an endurance run, so they dont have to show the whole thing right? they could just focus on the main story missions and not show all the other stuff

Problem is most of the story is in the cassette tapes.

How they do the story is pretty much a mess. You can play the tapes when you're just freeroaming, but you'll get calls from Mother Base at the same time and they'll talk over each other.

Problem is most of the story is in the cassette tapes.

How they do the story is pretty much a mess. You can play the tapes when you're just freeroaming, but you'll get calls from Mother Base at the same time and they'll talk over each other.

It's hard enough to concentrate on the tapes when playing the game, let alone do it when talking to another person and trying to entertain an audience.

You can listen to tapes while doing Side Ops and usually Miller/Ocelot don't talk in those

I've been listening to them primarily in side ops and they still get talked over a lot. I don't mind them dumping story into tapes and actually prefer it to dumping a bunch of stuff into codec calls, but it should be more polished considering how many tapes there are.

klonere

Banned
Its funny what really makes you feel awful for being unemployed, I never knew the release of a game featuring a man with a robotic arm and a dog with an eyepatch would make me feel like garbage for not being able to afford it :(

Super jealous of everyone out there playing it right now

this is the alternative Metal Gear OT right

I've been listening to them primarily in side ops and they still get talked over a lot. I don't mind them dumping story into tapes and actually prefer it to dumping a bunch of stuff into codec calls, but it should be more polished considering how many tapes there are.

The amount of repeatable dialogue can definitely be toned down. 'BOSS THIS IS MEDICINAL WEED. BRING IT BACK TO BASE.'.

On a side note, I'm watching some Mad Max gameplay and boy it looks rough as fuck. Watching the PC version and so far the framerate is a bit rough, the animations are....incredibly rough. The graphics are so so. Some of the walls have literal PS2 textures on them ._.; Oh god it uses the same fighting style of a Batman game ._.

I also say 'no' on the Zelda endurance run. Not enough moments for real dynamic plays.

I'll accept that as a compromise. but i really dont care for another MGS playthrough. Especially if im playing through the game myself. Half the charm of MGScanlon was refreshing myself on these old metal gear games as TPP approached.

I can definitely understand that. I wasn't totally on board with a TPP playthrough, then seeing Drew tackle GZ brought me around on the idea.

I think TPP has a lot of potential to be really entertaining but that relies on Drew taking the game at his own pace rather than rushing to try and keep things moving.

Haunted

WOW @ ~45 minutes into Hacknet. New appreciation for the game and even more respect for Vinny and Austin for navigating that so smoothly.

I dont usually get like this with games, probably because I've been playing so much of V myself the past few days but it really was hard watching Brad play that game.

Obivously playing for a quick look is so much different than playing on your own but little things like using R1 to aim down the sights of the tranq gun making it so much easier to get headshots or Brad saying the only way to finish the Skulls bit was to kill them (its really not).

Also his camera control was driving me nuts lol

jgminto

*gets 3 hours of sleep due to metal gear* This game...is pretty good. It's the first stealth game where I've felt ok saying "fuck it" and going all out once discovered. Fighting my way out of a mountain compound as my helicopter provides air support was way too awesome.

Zaph

*gets 3 hours of sleep due to metal gear* This game…is pretty good. It's the first stealth game where I've felt ok saying "fuck it" and going all out once discovered. Fighting my way out of a mountain compound as my helicopter provides air support was way too awesome.
Yup, it's pretty fucking fantastic.

But I'm now running on coffee and fumes. Gonna be a zombie at work tomorrow.

I only know wrestling from what reaches the mainstream and through osmosis from being on Gaf and listening to podcasts like Giant Bombcast but from what I gather, it seems particularly depressing if you get into it deep enough to look behind the scenes.

Zaph

I only know wrestling from what reaches the mainstream and through osmosis from being on Gaf and listening to podcasts like Giant Bombcast but from what I gather, it seems particularly depressing if you get into it deep enough to look behind the scenes.
Yup. I regret clicking the links in that Hulk Hogan thread and prefer to let it be a happy memory when I was 10.

On the bright side, stuff like New Day shows there is hope.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So far I've enjoyed it, but there is something very jarring about Mad Max being made by the Just Cause 2 team. Understandable as they didn't want to make 'Just Cause 2 with Mad Max', but it's like going from a third person action adventure game where you can do whatever the fuck you want to a third person action adventure game where everything is scarce from water to food to ammo to weapons. Like sometimes I want to use my shotgun, but I treat my shotgun shells like fucking green herbs in Resident Evil.

Part of the fun of MGS to me was watching Drew figure out systems and try to navigate the environments. That plus the conversations/speculation makes me more than happy to watch MGS V. I do think the structure of the game will make it a much longer feature than it was before, but I'm fine with that. They've come this far, no reason to stop before the finish line.

Uff duh

Banned
Time to start on Tomb Ryckert, the series where Dan beats every Tomb Raider game

Thats an idea. Just played some of the first Tomb Raider the other day and boy. But would it work with out someone in the office who is a Tomb Raider fan there to watch him play? I would watch it thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom