• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recorded today.

Right, but I mean I don't know what time. Then again, I'm not sure that he'd have any time to play it before he gets home anyway. I can empathize considering I have crunch time this week and won't be getting home until about 9:30 every night.

hamchan

I'm not that far into MGSV, but it's pretty clear that Big Boss' silence outside of cassette tapes is a deliberate design decision and not because they couldn't afford Kiefer.

Yup. I think that Kojima tried to do a Mad Max Fury Road and have minimal dialogue. I don't think it quite works tbh, since I see Big Boss just staring blankly a lot of the time instead of having a facial expression.

Anyways MGSV is the best playing stealth game I've ever played. Everything just feels so smooth and natural. It's the first MGS where I feel the controls aren't holding me back from doing what I ideally want to do. The Morher Base stuff is fairly addictive as well. The game is pretty much Peace Walker but actually good with high production values.

Jintor

It's kinda funny, I get the impression Snake isn't silent cos he wants to be, it's more like he's silent because he's got serious brain damage and Ocelot and Kaz are just humouring him by pretending like they're having normal conversations, lol

It's kinda funny, I get the impression Snake isn't silent cos he wants to be, it's more like he's silent because he's got serious brain damage and Ocelot and Kaz are just humouring him by pretending like they're having normal conversations, lol

Maybe ill hold off further criticisms till the end then. it's just, you give a man, what, 6? 7? metal gears where snake talks for days and so far this difference is a bit of a shock.

if you try to interrogate someone early on, Ocelot tells you that you can't understand Russian anymore because the language portion of your brain got damaged :p

demidar

I think Snake not talking much makes this not feel very much like a Metal Gear. Snake in the other games is a chatterbox, saying everything in this really weird cadence, as well as the strange tangents that happens in codecs that make Snake look like an absolute dolt.

if you try to interrogate someone early on, Ocelot tells you that you can't understand Russian anymore because the language portion of your brain got damaged :p

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

He's got shit in his head.

I think Snake not talking much makes this not feel very much like a Metal Gear. Snake in the other games is a chatterbox, saying everything in this really weird cadence, as well as the strange tangents that happens in codecs that make Snake look like an absolute dolt.

Alot of people say this doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game. IMO all the metal gear games feel extremely different from each other, so yeah they're right but for good reason. BB not talking alot though...yeah I can see why people would want him to talk.

Scizzy

I haven't played beyond the opening set-piece so this speculation isn't informed by much,
but I have a terrible feeling that Snake's relative silence is foreshadowing a really, really stupid twist.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

He's got shit in his head.

Alot of people say this doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game. IMO all the metal gear games feel extremely different from each other, so yeah they're right but for good reason. BB not talking alot though...yeah I can see why people would want him to talk.

They might feel different in a lot of ways, but the common thread that PW and TPP are missing out on is a linear sense of progression. The open world simply doesn't lend itself well to the story-telling structure of previous metal gear games.

MGS1 is just the shadow moses incident. MGS2 is big shell. MGS3 is operation snake eater. MGS4 hops around a bit, but it's very well divided into separate acts.

So far, MGSV has been "well you're in afghanistan, go do mission structure."

The gameplay is great. It's tight. But to me, it lacks something.

jambo

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/638897347020238848

hNpA6WS.png

Jintor

So far, MGSV has been "well you're in afghanistan, go do mission structure."

The gameplay is great. It's tight. But to me, it lacks something.

Eh. I don't really mind that so much.

Just when I think of Metal Gear, I think of... calling back for help a lot. A lot of back and forth conversation. Being called and Snake going "HUH!?" or repeating back words or getting super creepy about boxes.

It doesn't feel like I'm that Snake anymore, which is fine, I guess...

Eh. I don't really mind that so much.

Just when I think of Metal Gear, I think of... calling back for help a lot. A lot of back and forth conversation. Being called and Snake going "HUH!?" or repeating back words or getting super creepy about boxes.

It doesn't feel like I'm that Snake anymore, which is fine, I guess...

That's another thing that annoys me. All the exposition is in the tapes, and they let you listen to tapes while you do missions, which is great, because you're not just stuck staring at them.

Except when you're doing a mission, the mission radio dialogue takes priority over whatever tape you're listening to, and there's really no way to tell what's coming up, so you can basically just miss out on an entire tape section. It's not a huge deal, but it's really annoying. I wish the tape was paused automatically or something.

hamchan

Brain damage confirmed. It feels like his personality changed from it too.

Bacon

Not surprised Jeff likes it at all. The game seems to be tailor made for Jeff. Open world, less focus on story, awesome controls and shooting mechanics. Check check and check.

I like them too, I just wish there was a more optimal way to listen to them.

I've always wished games could let you download stuff like that so you could listen to them in like podcast form.

Basically what i'm saying is konami get off your pachinko making asses and make the companion app available for PC players so I can play and pause tapes more easily.

jgminto

So far the tapes are definitely better than Codecs. They feel like they're recorded in an actual place instead of two faces hovering in an unspecified void.

Megasoum

Banned
I just finished the MGS Prologue and god damn.... Dan must be FREAKING THE FUCK OUT lol...

I just wish I didn't have to go to bed right now...

Jintor

That doesn't last long.

it does if you sneak

So far the tapes are definitely better than Codecs. They feel like they're recorded in an actual place instead of two faces hovering in an unspecified void.

disgusting turn away from series tradition

lol remember how the entire ending of MGS2 is talking heads with a bossfight with samurai doc ock thrown in the middle for kicks

I love codecs and I like tapes better but at the end of the day I feel like what I really like is CONVERSAAAATIONNNN

MGSV creates the same fulton compulsion as Peace Walker. Can't kill anybody, the E ranks need fultoning.

I'm trying to force myself to only tranqing good people. I really hate that I just play through the game by tranqing eeeevery person I come across. I should be saving it only for priority targets that absolutely need fultoning.

Edit: I've got witcher syndrome and I'm just not using D-horse very much. I always feel like I'm going to get caught when I'm using him. It stresses me out. I just run most places.

Jintor

I'm trying to force myself to only tranqing good people. I really hate that I just play through the game by tranqing eeeevery person I come across. I should be saving it only for priority targets that absolutely need fultoning.

Edit: I've got witcher syndrome and I'm just not using D-horse very much. I always feel like I'm going to get caught when I'm using him. It stresses me out. I just run most places.

lol. I totally rekt a mission I was on by galloping down the road and running straight into a soviet patrol.

I really love playing stealthy, screwing up, and then trying desperately to recover from my screwup. It's really fun

LiK

lol. I totally rekt a mission I was on by galloping down the road and running straight into a soviet patrol.

I really love playing stealthy, screwing up, and then trying desperately to recover from my screwup. It's really fun

I stealth the first half, get caught then just kill everyone. Fuck the Fame :p

Learning horse stealth is a game-changer. I haven't been in a scenario to use D-horse's tactical poop. Looking forward to when I am.

Haha what? Damn it I didn't want to get this game, I may have to one day.

It's pretty dang awesome. The amount of customization in dress you can have for yourself is amazing. ALSO BIONIC PUNCHES. Right now I was infiltrating a base, trying to get a B-rank soldier in a group of 4 soldiers, and a sandstorm popped up. I couldn't see shit but I could see the markers, so I equipped my bionic arm and just sprinted around punching all of them. So satisfying.

...unfortunately I fultoned the soldier right after the sandstorm, and it was a 90% chance, and he was lost ;_;

LiK

It's pretty dang awesome. The amount of customization in dress you can have for yourself is amazing. ALSO BIONIC PUNCHES. Right now I was infiltrating a base, trying to get a B-rank soldier in a group of 4 soldiers, and a sandstorm popped up. I couldn't see shit but I could see the markers, so I equipped my bionic arm and just sprinted around punching all of them. So satisfying.

...unfortunately I fultoned the soldier right after the sandstorm, and it was a 90% chance, and he was lost ;_;

He's in a better place now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom