• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

ppl watched Brad take 2 hours to beat a boss in bloodborne on multiple occasions. People can handle being a little bored. If it doesn't work out, after a few too many dull episodes, they can always take it out back and shoot it send it to a farm in the country to live with Betting the Farmville, Professional Wednesdays and GB Unplugged.

Tubobutts

ppl watched Brad take 2 hours to beat a boss in bloodborne on multiple occasions. People can handle being a little bored. If it doesn't work out, after a few too many dull episodes, they can always take it out back and shoot it send it to a farm in the country to live with Betting the Farmville, Professional Wednesdays and GB Unplugged.

Unplugged isn't not gone. Austin is going to bring it back, just you watch.

Please bring it back Austin.

Same here. I think I'm done with open world games. I had more fun with Until Dawn than the five or so hours I've played so far. :lol

The intro got me really excited. Then I did a bunch of generic Ubisoft-style open world missions and realized that I need to repeat that for thirty hours to finish the story, so I turned the game off. I'll probably finish it eventually, but I can't see myself marathoning it in giant chunks like past MGS games.

Megasoum

Banned
The intro got me really excited. Then I did a bunch of generic Ubisoft-style open world missions and realized that I need to repeat that for thirty hours to finish the story, so I turned the game off. I'll probably finish it eventually, but I can't see myself marathoning it in giant chunks like past MGS games.

Haven't had a chance to play MGS yet (just finished installing) but that was my fear from day 1.... I always thought it looks like a Ubisoft style generic open world game...bleh.

Haven't had a chance to play MGS yet (just finished installing) but that was my fear from day 1.... I always thought it looks like a Ubisoft style generic open world game...bleh.

Define Ubisoft open world game, if you're thinking a dozen of pointless side quests on the map then this game isn't that at all. Most of the stuff on the map is just materials that you can gather with the occasional side quests dotted here and there.

It's a pretty good podcast game I suspect.

It is, I watched the quicklook for it while I ran around fultoning things and gathering resources.

KingKong

From my time with the game, the difference is that the open world is just the setting for missions. Theres no minigames or collectables or other Ubisoft crap to find. It reminds me a lot of RDR where the enjoyment comes from it being a huge space

Megasoum

Banned
Define Ubisoft open world game, if you're thinking a dozen of pointless side quests on the map then this game isn't that at all. Most of the stuff on the map is just materials that you can gather with the occasional side quests dotted here and there.

It is, I watched the quicklook for it while I ran around fultoning things and gathering resources.

A handful of generic sidequest design repeated dozens of time in a mostly empty open world map with some good story missions included from time to time.

Also outposts, tag/stealth/kill, etc

From my time with the game, the difference is that the open world is just the setting for missions. Theres no minigames or collectables or other Ubisoft crap to find. It reminds me a lot of RDR where the enjoyment comes from it being a huge space

My enjoyment of RDR came from the story and the setting, not really the actual gameplay.

Anyway... Can't wait to try it later tonight.

A handful of generic sidequest design repeated dozens of time in a mostly empty open world map with some good story missions included from time to time.

Also outposts, tag/stealth/kill, etc

You might not go for this then, so far most of the missions I've done have revolved around entering outposts to rescue or kill people. I'm only like ten missions in so that may very well change but so far you've summed up a big chunk of the game as something you wouldn't care for.

Hopefully you do still enjoy it, I had the same concerns but I'm having an absolute blast with it.

jgminto

If we're comparing MGSV to Ubi open world games the only one it's close to is Farcry 2. The problem with that game was the combat and mission variety didn't last half its length.

Myggen

Just so I'm sure I'm not going blind... The actual PAX Panel is not up yet right? Only the pre-show thing and Mario Party?

You're not going blind. They have to edit that panel together, so that's probably why it always takes a little while to go up on the site.

edit: Mario Party Party 5 is such an insane idea for a live show that really shouldn't have worked at all, I'm amazed it turned out so well.

If we're comparing MGSV to Ubi open world games the only one it's close to is Farcry 2. The problem with that game was the combat and mission variety didn't last half its length.
It's not a direct one to one comparison but more the idea of repeating the same mission design over and over. That's exactly what the side ops have been so far.
Yeah unless Snake gets super chatty late game starting to see why Kojima might have been canned.
Huh? What does snake not talking in gameplay have to with Kojima getting fired?

TraBuch

Banned
It's not a direct one to one comparison but more the idea of repeating the same mission design over and over. That's exactly what the side ops have been so far.

Huh? What does snake not talking in gameplay have to with Kojima getting fired?
I imagine he's saying they presumably paid him a shit load of money to say about five minutes worth of lines.

Jintor

I think it's Mother Base that's really holding me to MGSV, there's something really addictive about coming back to an expanding, changing base, doing item research etc. If it was pure open world it wouldn't nearly be as entertaining

I think it's Mother Base that's really holding me to MGSV, there's something really addictive about coming back to an expanding, changing base, doing item research etc. If it was pure open world it wouldn't nearly be as entertaining
Totally,I think the combination of the tight gameplay and the Motherbase metagame stuff both work well at making the game engrossing.
There's a lot of Big Boss dialogue in the cassettes. I'm not sure why they didn't make them into cutscenes, but the idea that Kiefer recorded very little VO has no merit.
I wonder if part of it is that any cutscene stuff would require facial capture and that probably costs more time and money than just getting Kiefer in a both to record lines.

Have you ever had that feeling when you're at the title screen of a game and you both look forward to but also dread starting a game?

For some reason, I get that with every mgs. Going through it right now with TPP. I guess I should just get on with it.

I wonder if part of it is that any cutscene stuff would require facial capture and that probably costs more time and money than just getting Kiefer in a both to record lines.

I thought Kiefer only did the VO, and the facial capture was done by someone else. Could be mistaken, but I think that's the case.

Have you ever had that feeling when you're at the title screen of a game and you both look forward to but also dread starting a game?

For some reason, I get that with every mgs. Going through it right now with TPP. I guess I should just get on with it.

I'd dread going through that glacially slow opening again too.

I'm not that far into MGSV, but it's pretty clear that Big Boss' silence outside of cassette tapes is a deliberate design decision and not because they couldn't afford Kiefer.

I thought Kiefer only did the VO, and the facial capture was done by someone else. Could be mistaken, but I think that's the case.
I seem to remember Kojima stating that they chose Kiefer as his acting experience would help with the facial capture but that would have been a while ago so I could also be mistaken.
Basically a suspicion senerewarfare debunks.
Ah ok. Yeah there's a fair bit of Keifer VO just not in cutscenes.

I thought Whippy was doing something for the Bombcast thread this week?
Myggen just hates Whippy I guess.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's one thing I absolutely hate in open world games and that's having unclimbable mountains blocking your way. Then you have to go all the way around wasting minutes of time. MGS5 seems to feature that plenty of the 5 or so hours I've played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom