• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

People really like that prologue

I thought it was tedious as hell and went on for way too long. Could've made it 15 minutes long and been better for it

I thought it was fine. it really added a lot of tension and gravitas to Big Boss' predicament. also, it's a nice ode to classic MGS cutscene epicness cuz I'm guessing I won't see another major cutscene for a while, hah

I have been really impressed with the PC version of MGSV. I'm rendering it at 2715x1527 and then downsampling to 1080p, and it rarely drops even a single frame below 60 frames.

certainly better than the standard video game "oh, I broke my leg, oh wait I feel better now" thing

I have been really impressed with the PC version of MGSV. I'm rendering it at 2715x1527 and then downsampling to 1080p, and it rarely drops even a single frame below 60 frames.

yeah I only have a 660ti and it defaulted to ultra and never drops a single v-sync'd frame. after the hellscape of my TW3 playthrough, this is kind of amazing to see

If they're going to use a mod, they use one that doesn't ruin the game's core gameplay.

yeah the GoT mod is a good idea that ultimately sucks to play

if you think the fun part of CKII is the crazy events and political machinations then prepare for disappointment with the GoT thing because it's comparatively tame and prescribed

Zaph

Aside from a couple weird quick drops to single digit frames, it seems to be an incredible port.

My 980ti is churning through it at 3620x2036 > 1440p, all settings maxed. Would like to see a view distance mod though, it's the only thing taking away from the open world.

I thought it was fine. it really added a lot of tension and gravitas to Big Boss' predicament. also, it's a nice ode to classic MGS cutscene epicness cuz I'm guessing I won't see another major cutscene for a while, hah

I didn't feel any tension I was just pushing up on the stick while he flopped around

I get why but it was more tedious than tense. Got to the "fight" part and turned it off to go to bed.

I might play some when get home tonight, but I'm not feeling like I NEED MORE. Might play literally anything else instead.

Tubobutts

yeah the GoT mod is a good idea that ultimately sucks to play

if you think the fun part of CKII is the crazy events and political machinations then prepare for disappointment with the GoT thing because it's comparatively tame and prescribed

I just wanted them to use it because they seem more familiar with the source material. It's disappointing to hear it ruins the game.

LiK

I didn't feel any tension I was just pushing up on the stick while he flopped around

I get why but it was more tedious than tense. Got to the "fight" part and turned it off to go to bed.

I might play some when get home tonight, but I'm not feeling like I NEED MORE. Might play literally anything else instead.

it was basically an interactive cutscene. I didn't find it tedious. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool.

there's no tension when you know the result. We know he's going to get out of there just fine, never do you expect there to be any other result BUT that he gets out of there fine.

It just seemed really drawn out and tedious. I get it, the hospital is getting raided, i get it, you're not in a good way as you try to get out, i get it, these two boss-like figures are really boss-like.

you could trim the fat out of there and be better for it. when jeff said on the podcast that he was looking to avoid replaying the prologue yet again i could totally relate. I didn't really like doing it the first time, i cant imagine doing it thrice.

LiK

there's no tension when you know the result. We know he's going to get out of there just fine, never do you expect there to be any other result BUT that he gets out of there fine.

It just seemed really drawn out and tedious. I get it, the hospital is getting raided, i get it, you're not in a good way as you try to get out, i get it, these two boss-like figures are really boss-like.

you could trim the fat out of there and be better for it. when jeff said on the podcast that he was looking to avoid replaying the prologue yet again i could totally relate. I didn't really like doing it the first time, i cant imagine doing it thrice.

I think if I started to think like that for every game, I would really be doing myself a disservice. Oh noes, Drake might fall off the cliff again in this cutscene...

and it's Kojima, long and drawn out is par for the course. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Aside from a couple weird quick drops to single digit frames, it seems to be an incredible port.

My 980ti is churning through it at 3620x2036 > 1440p, all settings maxed. Would like to see a view distance mod though, it's the only thing taking away from the open world.
Hey, I have a 980ti! I guess I'll have to see if I can push it even higher.

I was kind of down about it, but not this down. I more just hated the first ten minutes of crawl....wait.....crawl.....wait. Once it got to standing it went a lot smoother and felt like a much better pace. I actually liked how if you were going down the stairs and you go to far guys start coming up the stairs to move you back up to where you were supposed to go. I thought that was a great way of gating where you go if you end up passing the other guy.

Jothel

Wow
floating boy psycho mantis looking boy is creepy
Also was Jeff just straight up lying when he said
the game starts you in Afghanistan and avoids the hospital stuff?
or did I just not hear what he said properly?

LiK

I was kind of down about it, but not this down. I more just hated the first ten minutes of crawl....wait.....crawl.....wait. Once it got to standing it went a lot smoother and felt like a much better pace. I actually liked how if you were going down the stairs and you go to far guys start coming up the stairs to move you back up to where you were supposed to go. I thought that was a great way of gating where you go if you end up passing the other guy.

I thought the crawling made sense the way it was done. I mean,
muscle atrophy after 9 years
is no joke. they probably could've made it a cutscene but that would be too slow. it didn't feel that long to me. I was enjoying the atmosphere and the audio of what was going around me during it. anyway, it's a tutorial so it's one and done for most people.

Xater

Brad is wrong about the stealth being stricter. You go in when it's dark and it's easier. Proper camo also also. Footsteps can be heard so if you get behind someone go slowly, unless you have the sneaking suit which dampens your footsteps. I rarely get detected.

LiK

Brad is wrong about the stealth being stricter. You go in when it's dark and it's easier. Proper camo also also. Footsteps can be heard so if you get behind someone go slowly, unless you have the sneaking suit which dampens your footsteps. I rarely get detected.

I also found crawling really does work better than crouching. just takes longer, of course.

I love how the stealth works. Hey guess what, guys will see you if they look at you in broad daylight. Yes, even if you're crouching. That's how seeing things works.

We've been babied for too long with guards that can't see more than 15 feet in front of them.

I oddly thought opposite of him as well. I am bad at stealth and was bad at it in Ground Zeroes but found it pretty easy in the first proper mission so far, and I got an A rank in it so it made me think I did pretty well.

I thought the crawling made sense the way it was done. I mean,
muscle atrophy after 9 years
is no joke. they probably could've made it a cutscene but that would be too slow. it didn't feel that long to me. I was enjoying the atmosphere and the audio of what was going around me during it. anyway, it's a tutorial so it's one and done for most people.

Yeah, it's definitely nothing I would really hold against the game. I would just dread redoing it.

Xater

I love how the stealth works. Hey guess what, guys will see you if they look at you in broad daylight. Yes, even if you're crouching. That's how seeing things works.

We've been babied for too long with guards that can't see more than 15 feet in front of them.

Yup, the stealth works quite logical. In broad daylight a sniper will see you from hundreds of meters away easily as well. That's how it should be.

I oddly thought opposite of him as well. I am bad at stealth and was bad at it in Ground Zeroes but found it pretty easy in the first proper mission so far, and I got an A rank in it so it made me think I did pretty well.

I finish most of my missions with an A or B ranking. I only go below B if I had to kill someone. Sometimes the suppressor on my tranq gun doesn't hold long enough and I might not have had the chance to request a supply drop. I hope I can upgrade the durability of the silencer eventually.

LiK

It does, but it's more needed in broad daylight. In the night you can be way more liberal with your movement.

I'm still pretty early so I'm still easily spotted even at night. Still using default gear. I try to hide in shadows but some untagged guard still sees me from a distance.

Wow
floating boy psycho mantis looking boy is creepy
Also was Jeff just straight up lying when he said
the game starts you in Afghanistan and avoids the hospital stuff?
or did I just not hear what he said properly?

I think he played it at judges week and that section of the game isn't exactly something that you would use as a demo.

Xater

I'm still pretty early so I'm still easily spotted even at night. Still using default gear. I try to hide in shadows but some untagged guard still sees me from a distance.

If you played GZ you should have suits that work better at night. The sneaking suit from GZ and the one from Ocelot.

LiK

If you played GZ you should have suits that work better at night. The sneaking suit from GZ and the one from Ocelot.

Are they transferred from the GZ save? I couldn't do that cuz servers were down so I was forced into offline mode.

Xater

Are they transferred from the GZ save? I couldn't do that cuz servers were down so I was forced into offline mode.

Yes, they are. Servers are good now. at least when I played this morning. You should do that. They are darker which makes them more effective at night, but of course worse during the day, but tbh I only do missions at night when I can. Why would you not if you have the option?

LiK

I think I saw you can import your GZ save even after you started TPP and still get bonuses but I am not 100% sure.

I tried, it said offline mode won't allow me which is odd. you'd think they would import the save from my system storage.

Yes, they are. Servers are good now. at least when I played this morning. You should do that. They are darker which makes them more effective at night, but of course worse during the day, but tbh I only do missions at night when I can. Why would you not if you have the option?

cool, they were giving me server errors and ultimately it said they were under maintenance so it was down for me all evening I played. looking forward to using that suit!

I think he played it at judges week and that section of the game isn't exactly something that you would use as a demo.

he said he pushed start on a menu screen and it took him to Afghanistan. but yeah it obviously would have been a terrible demo since it takes a damn hour and the atmosphere is all wrong for trying to play it in a public space with distractions

Got 12 hours of MGSV in yesterday. 9% completion.

(I'm hooked)

Yeah I put quite a few hours into it yesterday as well. It's pretty god damn great. What makes it great, though, is not that it's Metal Gear Solid. It could just as easily have been Desert Shooter X and it would still be great because of the systems.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Given that Witcher 3 will probably take me the rest of the year to finish and then Persona 5 and Just Cause 3 will be out...

I will probably never get to play Metal Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom