• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleck0

No PC demo derbys yet! I wonder if they could use the FMVinny machine to play old PCGamer discs. I lived off those as a teenager, remember when you could order free magazine trials indefinitely?

<
WGog979.png

Frenden

Banned
I don't remember the Giant Bomb comments section being so caustic back in the day. Every time I look of late, and I know I shouldn't, there's someone shitting on one of the staff's ability to play games or getting irate because their opinions don't align with a person on a given video.

When did that start to happen? I've been a premium member for a few years, and followed the site since inception, and was always pleasantly surprised at how decent the comment section was whenever I looked.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Comments almost always suck and this is a really insightful hot take.

I don't remember the Giant Bomb comments section being so caustic back in the day. Every time I look of late, and I know I shouldn't, there's someone shitting on one of the staff's ability to play games or getting irate because their opinions don't align with a person on a given video.

When did that start to happen? I've been a premium member for a few years, and followed the site since inception, and was always pleasantly surprised at how decent the comment section was whenever I looked.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Comments almost always suck and this is a really insightful hot take.

Behold the debut of premium content on Giant Bomb dot com.

Myggen

Always been that way. If anything GB comments have been getting a lot better after they really started to crack down after Gamergate happened. Like with every big community you'll get assholes, and they had a lot more freedom to be assholes back in the day. You've probably just been lucky with the comment sections you've looked at before.

But as much shit as the comment section and the on-site community gets in this thread, I think it's generally pretty decent with some obvious exceptions. It's at least one of the better among the big-ish gaming sites, even if that's not a high bar (Gamespot doesn't seem to have any moderation anymore).

FluxWaveZ

Always been that way. If anything GB comments have been getting a lot better after they really started to crack down after Gamergate happened. Like with every big community you'll get assholes, and they had a lot more freedom to be assholes back in the day. You've probably just been lucky with the comment sections you've looked at before.

Are you sure? Maybe it's rose-tinted glasses, but I seem to remember the change in comment style being pretty directly aligned with when the forum community was demolished with that big website revamp at some point. I remember people on GAF shitting on the comments back then and defending it as not actually being bad, but now I see it and it's actually bad.

Myggen

Are you sure? Maybe it's rose-tinted glasses, but I seem to remember the change in comment style being pretty directly aligned with when the forum community was demolished with that big website revamp at some point. I remember people on GAF shitting on the comments back then and defending it as not actually being bad, but now I see it and it's actually bad.

There's always the argument that as sites get bigger, the community gets worse. And I guess you can make that argument with GB? But in general I think the comments have been getting better, not worse. If people want to witness some over the top bitching, look no further than the Chrono Trigger ER. Or much of especially the early stuff Patrick was involved in. Back in the early days there were a lot of the same shit too.

Frenden

Banned
Maybe y'all are right and I just overlooked signs of awfulness before. It just seems worse nowadays, but maybe that's because I'm looking for it.

Myggen

Maybe y'all are right and I just overlooked signs of awfulness before. It just seems worse nowadays, but maybe that's because I'm looking for it.

I think people in general have become much more aware of rotten apples in any gaming community since Gamergate.

edit:

0qyeu2f.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
I forgot to include a note with the BUT GRO PER mugs >_<
Hahahah those mugs are awesome! Man I miss F1 and F1-GAF D:
I used to be super active in GB's community for a couple years when the site launched. I actually stopped a few years ago in favor of sticking to this thread because I couldn't take the community anymore.

What I'll say is what I do see and interact with looks better than it used to be, I agree.

Curufinwe

I hope Dan ditches the hillbilly hipster t-shirts altogether at some point. I wonder if he already had to get rid of any Skynrd shirts with the Confederate flag on them.

Tubobutts

I hope Dan ditches the hillbilly hipster t-shirts altogether at some point. I wonder if he already had to get rid of any Skynrd shirts with the Confederate flag on them.

Surprisingly he said a while ago that he doesn't buy Skynyrd shirts with confederate flags on them.

It's amazing how hipsters can people who dress well and people who wear cheap band tshirts all at the same time. It's almost like the word means nothing!

Really hope they get Stasis and Odallus quick looks out, both are great games that could use extra press. Giantbomb is why I bought Lakeview Cabin Collection and it's one of my favorite games of the year.

valeo

Why the hell do you care? Man can wear what he wants. Not sure how it's 'hipster' either.

I like that Rorie now sitting in the same area as everyone else. That might mean more Rorie content somehow and that's always a good thing.

After spending another 5 hours with MGSV I have no concerns Scanlon 5 will be boring.

That series is going to throw up so many amazing random moments. We saw a bit of that when Drew used the truck in Ground Zeroes.

It'll be that x 1000.

Frenden

Banned
Not sure how liking Skynrd makes one a hipster. Or why that's bad.

I live in the country, have livestock, like Skynrd, and used to have a larger farm. I guess I'm just one of those insufferable hillbillies.

---

Anyhow. Looking forward to the start of MGScanlon. I put off buying MGS 5 because Destiny took over my life and I know I won't play it soon. So vicariously watching their run while I work will have to suffice for a bit.

No PC demo derbys yet! I wonder if they could use the FMVinny machine to play old PCGamer discs. I lived off those as a teenager, remember when you could order free magazine trials indefinitely?

Doubt it'll happen. I can imagine getting some of those demos to really even run would be kind of a hassle.

Frenden

Banned
Yeah. That was peak Rorie right there. If there were a puppy in the background, the Roriometer would be off the charts.

their desks are a fucking mess.....

Lol for real. My wife and I were both like "how do they get any work done on those disasters?"

I'm sure it'd help if dudes didn't empty out their garages and storage units, throw all the garbage in a box and sent it straight to Giant Bomb.

Frenden

Banned
I have a real stormtrooper-chic mentality when it comes to the sparseness of my work areas. I couldn't work on a desk like that. But, hey, some people really thrive creatively in chaotic environments. I've seen worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom