• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

I hope vinnyvania never comes back(alar)
15.gif

Tamanon

Banned
I haven't gotten around to trying side ops yet. What exactly is it?
Oooh. If Vinny is the one playing through it, I'll watch. I did watch the entirety of Mary's stream live though, not sure if I can commit like that again.

Side Ops are just little missions out in the world.

I can see many people put off Until Dawn if GBE only plays the first 2 hours, Those two hours are basically the characters at their worst -- totally unlikeable sex starved asshats.

AcridMeat

Banned
Side Ops are just little missions out in the world.
Side Missions to get extra stuff/GMP. Good thing about Side Ops is that you aren't graded for it, so you can fuck around all you want while doing them. Great for a UPF.
Oh no crap. I figured since it was a separate menu it was a completely different thing, like a training/challenge mode or something. D'oh. Will definitely need to mess around with that then.

How are you guys doing on your rankings? I've had a mission where I completely stealthed around and blew up all the objectives at once with C4 and got out again with a B, then I've had missions where it's gone to shit and I just Rambo'd through and it still gave me a B. I've only ever gotten a B.

Side Missions to get extra stuff/GMP. Good thing about Side Ops is that you aren't graded for it, so you can fuck around all you want while doing them. Great for a UPF.

I mean the life i live is that of a man who throws his arms up whenever the stealth goes awry. I don't have time for redoing a mission or perfecting them anymore.

But i hear the side ops offer some real good benefits, like translation services for example. So even though i usually avoid that stuff as it's typically gameplay filler, i might need to look into them some in MGSV

really? I should play the Side-Ops then. haven't touched them.

Oh no crap. I figured since it was a separate menu it was a completely different thing, like a training/challenge mode or something. D'oh. Will definitely need to mess around with that then.

You don't have to do all of them, but the ones that give blueprints for new weapons, or have to do with rescuing a prisoner/strong soldier are highly recommended since they usually give you recruits that have A or higher rankings for MB.

I mean the life i live is that of a man who throws his arms up whenever the stealth goes awry. I don't have time for redoing a mission or perfecting them anymore.

But i hear the side ops offer some real good benefits, like translation services for example. So even though i usually avoid that stuff as it's typically gameplay filler, i might need to look into them some in MGSV

The translation ones are really important for interrogations. Like those should be higher priority than the regular missions since a lot of missions usually require interrogation to find the exact location of something.

Curufinwe

Doing side ops is a really good idea.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...everyone-starting-mgs-v-the-phantom-pain.aspx

9. How To Customize Weapons
Weapon customization is a valuable tool. In my playthrough, it allowed me to add a suppressor to a non-lethal sniper rifle long before I unlocked the ability to research a silenced sniper rifle through the tech tree. However, unlocking this feature is weirdly hidden behind a series of side-ops that look just like the others. Keep an eye out for the operations about finding a legendary gunsmith, and complete them as soon as you can.

Based on some of the talk in the podcast, I would not mind a 2-hour Vinny-lead MGSV playdate. Vinny seems to be just past, or about to pass, the mission Brad did on stream. I know that would step on Drew/Dan a bit, but I would like to see what Vinny would get up to in that open world.

PS: This has nothing to do with the fact I think Castlevania is a horrible video game franchise. Bye.

Vinnys actually managed to play mgsv? Huh I remember him mentioning thatd be one of the harder games to play because of Max. But the mission structure does have a 'dip in and out' style to it.

Joeku

They're doing an Until Dawn playdate in less than an hour?

...This might be the first one I don't watch. I'm gonna be rocking that shit with my friend and a couple bottles of wine tonight.

It's weird how the internet has turned around on that game.

AcridMeat

Banned
You don't have to do all of them, but the ones that give blueprints for new weapons, or have to do with rescuing a prisoner/strong soldier are highly recommended since they usually give you recruits that have A or higher rankings for MB.
Super handy tip, thanks! I'm excited to get at that now.

I'm getting through the Scanlon Peacewalker cutscene video now as a primer before I hit the cassette tapes in 5. I just wish they were more entertaining to watch.

Then it's on to Scanlon 4. That loading video was incredibly well done, and so stupid hahahaha.

Curufinwe

They're doing an Until Dawn playdate in less than an hour?

...This might be the first one I don't watch. I'm gonna be rocking that shit with my friend and a couple bottles of wine tonight.

It's weird how the internet has turned around on that game.

There was a Until Dawn = The Order? concern troll thread the day before it came out that I managed to get locked by posting a juicy quote from the OP's recent history.

If you have never played a Side Op, then you have not even got a Russian translator, which means you do not know what soldiers are saying to each other, and also means you cannot effectively interrogate or hold then up to get extra info on locations. You are missing out on free money!

In the future it will mean you will miss out on really coll weapon, like blueprints for a
tranquilizer suppressed sniper rifle

LiK

If you have never played a Side Op, then you have not even got a Russian translator, which means you do not know what soldiers are saying to each other, and also means you cannot effectively interrogate or hold then up to get extra info on locations. You are missing out on free money!

In the future it will mean you will miss out on really coll weapon, like blueprints for a

well, the translator one was required. I only did all the missions in the main mission menu. didn't do any in the Side-Ops menu. I guess they wanted to make people do one so they know what it's about.

Vinnys actually managed to play mgsv? Huh I remember him mentioning thatd be one of the harder games to play because of Max. But the mission structure does have a 'dip in and out' style to it.

I think Vinny said in the latest podcast his PS4 is down in his basement right now. He devoted some time to MGSV down there - the prologue + an extra hour or two.

Zaph

*looks at video backlog*

*dies*

Look at you all fancy and shit

I can see many people put off Until Dawn if GBE only plays the first 2 hours, Those two hours are basically the characters at their worst -- totally unlikeable sex starved asshats.

Sounds like the perfect start to some trashy horror fun. Debating whether to watch or not - I can't wait to play it, but at my current rate, it won't be before christmas.

Curufinwe

I did that one last night after wasting almost an hour trying and failing to replay the first real mission with all objectives completed. When it came time to extract the translator I called my wife over since she had no idea about the fulton system, and that got a good reaction.

well, the translator one was required. I only did all the missions in the main mission menu. didn't do any in the Side-Ops menu. I guess they wanted to make people do one so they know what it's about.

There's a lot of cool stuff hidden behind side-ops. I don't just mean guns or blueprints, but whole mechanics aren't introduced until you do certain side ops. And even big story missions don't trigger until you've completed certain ones.

LiK

There's a lot of cool stuff hidden behind side-ops. I don't just mean guns or blueprints, but whole mechanics aren't introduced until you do certain side ops. And even big story missions don't trigger until you've completed certain ones.

no worries, i'll be playing everything I can. really enjoying the game. I might go back and play Side-Ops in GZ as well. only played through the main story there.

Was it required? I remember holding off for a while, Anyway, Side-Ops are worth it for the money alone, but the unlocks and cool stuff possible only via Side-Op make it a necessity. It should make the later game much more fun - especially if you focus on stealth. .

LiK

Was it required? I remember holding off for a while, Anyway, Side-Ops are worth it for the money alone, but the unlocks and cool stuff possible only via Side-Op make it a necessity. It should make the later game much more fun - especially if you focus on stealth. .

yea, I need more mats anyway. I wanna expand the base more.

I need to work on getting that gunsmith
I like rocking a Sniper rifle, and Ive discovered if you do a hit-and-run style of sniping, changing positions after each shot, they wont get a peg on you. So good. If you stay in one spot they eventually realize where youre shooting from. Love this game.

Curufinwe

Vinny on the Beastcast said he spent $60 on Until Dawn when there was no reason to play it for work. I wonder if the copy they're playing today is a different one.

Anjin M

Guys... Tomorrow will be my last day at my current job where I've worked for almost 8 years... I literally spent a quarter of my life in that room and this is freaking me out.

I'm leaving in SUPER great term with my current bosses and colleagues and I'm super excited to start at the new place next week but this is still fuuuuuucking weird... I have a feeling I won't be sleeping much tonight.
Congrats and good luck, Megasoum! I hope all goes well.
GBE Playdate: Until Dawn
PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON SEP 04, 2015 02:00 PM
I'm so conflicted. On one hand, I want to watch this. On the other, I hate to be spoiled since I haven't played it myself. Decisions, decisions....

Sex starved asshats is my jam.

LiK

Did Austin just spoil an MGSV character on the beastcast?

time stamps in the Beastcast thread said they only talk about the first hour. can't imagine much to be spoiled there unless you didn't complete the prologue and first few missions.

yeah, if you've been following MGS at all you kinda had an idea who that character was. I've only finished the first mission so im not coming from a place of knowing but i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if that character is who we think he is.

also, totally skipping this Until Dawn playdate. I got enough from the QL to know that i really, really want to experience the rest of that game on my own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom