• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna pick it up when it hits $40 next week

From CAG:

Also wanted to let everyone know that I just saw a correction notice for Until Dawn for next week stating that the price was incorrectly printed at $39.99 and is still holding a MSRP of $59.99. Those of you who receive it in the paper ad could still try and price match it elsewhere like Target, who coincidently has a 10% Cartwheel coupon on the game through 9/19 as well. That or you could try to argue with a Best Buy employee; either way it's YMMV.

yami4ct

You know Brad is going to fight hard for Taken King if it does all it sounds like it's going to do. The only thing that'll stop him is Jeff putting his foot down because it's an expansion, not a new game.

Bacon

Patrick won't be there so we may not get the old "I just wanted to mention that this was a game that came out this year but I have no intention of arguing for it."

yami4ct

I would say MGSV has a good chance at being #1.

I think the only thing that can stop MGSV is if Jeff feels as strongly about Just Cause 3 as he did about 2, which he just might. I also think we might see Jeff fight against it because he just doesn't like Big Boss.

Patrick won't be there so we may not get the old "I just wanted to mention that this was a game that came out this year but I have no intention of arguing for it."

I'm really interested to see what Austin fights for and how he fights. Alex has always done a little of the "I just want to mention this awesome game that won't win" thing as well. Vinny does too, but he never puts it on the list. Just offhandedly sticks it in the conversation.

Well, Austin is opinionated moreso than Alex or Vinny, so I can see him being a staunch defender against a game he really likes. If anyone will pull out a filibuster this year it'll be him.

daydream

Banned
Maybe I'm overly sceptical but I don't see Just Cause 3 taking the top spot. Just Cause 2 was fun for a while but there wasn't actually much enjoyable stuff to do after you got over the novelty of the explosions and I don't see it lasting another game if they can't create engaging missions.

just cause 2 is a game that completely falls apart, imo. if just cause 3 can't bring anything worthwhile to the table aside from even "crazier" movement options and explosion effects, i'm not the least bit interested. i could just play mercenaries again instead.

yami4ct

Well, Austin is opinionated moreso than Alex or Vinny, so I can see him being a staunch defender against a game he really likes. If anyone will pull out a filibuster this year it'll be him.

Can he out filibuster Dan, though? If anyone can fight like hell for something, it's Dan. My one worry is that the list may end up being a bit Dan heavy because of how opinionated he is. If Austin can counterbalance him a bit, we're gonna have a fun podcast this year.

Can he out filibuster Dan, though? If anyone can fight like hell for something, it's Dan. My one worry is that the list may end up being a bit Dan heavy because of how opinionated he is. If Austin can counterbalance him a bit, we're gonna have a fun podcast this year.

Don't agree with this at all. Dan rolls over at the slightest hint of resistance.

Tubobutts

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

daydream

Banned

did we listen to the same gotycasts last year

Oh shit, I totally forgot that last year. I was just judging him on how opinionated he is outside. He'll fight for metal gear like crazy, but he'll rollover on everything else.

His attempt at fighting for Metal Gear last year was pretty terrible, admittedly Phantom Pain is a game where he will have more of a leg to stand on but previous performances aren't encouraging.

yami4ct

His attempt at fighting for Metal Gear last year was pretty terrible, admittedly Phantom Pain is a game where he will have more of a leg to stand on but previous performances aren't encouraging.

He gave in because Jeff had an actual point about Ground Zeroes not being a full game. He won't give easily at all for MGS5, especially since he'll likely have Drew to back him up.

Bloodborne was this year too.

Did anyone besides Brad give that game a major shot? I know Jeff played some, but he definitely dropped it after not too long. Maybe that's his Destiny this year. I'm honestly not sure how strongly he's willing to fight for it. Brad can be real stubborn when he wants to, but he also can completely roll over on a game he otherwise likes.

Tubobutts

Did anyone besides Brad give that game a major shot? I know Jeff played some, but he definitely dropped it after not too long. Maybe that's his Destiny this year. I'm honestly not sure how strongly he's willing to fight for it. Brad can be real stubborn when he wants to, but he also can completely roll over on a game he otherwise likes.

Jason and Dan definitely. Alex said it wasn't for him and Vinny barely played it. Not sure about Austin.

yami4ct

Jason and Dan definitely. Alex said it wasn't for him and Vinny barely played it. Not sure about Austin.

I'm not sure how strongly they feel about it now. Will be interested to see. It definitely might make its way in there, but I get the feeling coming out so early can only hurt it. I dream of Jason fighting hard to get MH4U on the list, but I doubt it.

Have I mentioned that Austin is the best? Austin's the best. I feel like he's a real dark horse this year. Partly because he's new, but also he joined partway through the year so it's hard to really know what his feelings on a lot of these games are.

Patryn

I definitely think MGSV is going to be their GOTY.

Everyone seems to love it, and they're all playing it which definitely benefits it.

I don't think Splatoon ever had a chance at being #1, but I bet it'll be top 5.

I also think too many people dropped Witcher 3 too early for it have a chance at 1, but I bet it'll show up around the middle of the list (3-7 or so).

I predict that Fallout 4 will do well, but will not have a chance at 1.

Honestly, I think MGSV's biggest competitor will be Mario Maker.

Dark horse Stasis to take it all.

What are the big games that are left this year?

Whatever happened to Halo being part of GOTY talks. I'm not sure if the response to Halo 5 isn't there or it's in my blind-spot.
Isn't Drew the only one who really likes the series? I remember Jeff saying 5 looks good but not positive enough to where it would become a hit at the office.

yami4ct

Dark horse Stasis to take it all.

What are the big games that are left this year?

Isn't Drew the only one who really likes the series? I remember Jeff saying 5 looks good but not positive enough to where it would become a hit at the office.

Halo, Call of Duty, Just Cause, Fallout, Forza, Rainbow 6, Mario Maker, Rock Band, Yoshi's Wooly World, Assassin's Creed, Zelda Tri-Force Heroes, Fatal Frame, Star Wars Battlefront, Starfox, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Xenoblade and Persona.

Of that list, I think only Yoshi, Tomb Raider, Mario Maker, Fallout, Just Cause and maybe Halo will make an impact on the list. Persona should, but will release too late since December seems like the likely date for that.

Really hoping we get a mention of Trails of Cold Steel or Trails in the Sky SC from Austin as those are games that seem really up his alley.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It would be quite a surprise if Halo 5 would blow everyone away. In a way I'm actually hoping for it, since people are so down on the series.

GBeast should do another Subnautica Unfinished, that was a great video and from what I've seen of that game popping up on here over the last few days it seems like they've added quite a bit to it since they last played.

Halo, Call of Duty, Just Cause, Fallout, Forza, Rainbow 6, Mario Maker, Rock Band, Yoshi's Wooly World, Assassin's Creed, Zelda Tri-Force Heroes, Fatal Frame, Star Wars Battlefront, Starfox, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Xenoblade and Persona.

Of that list, I think only Yoshi, Tomb Raider, Mario Maker, Fallout, Just Cause and maybe Halo will make an impact on the list. Persona should, but will release too late since December seems like the likely date for that.

If P5 doesn't win best Styleeeeee then GBGOTY is a sham.

yami4ct

P5 can't win because it needs to come out this year to qualify.

I fully 100% expect it to hit this year. P5 is big enough that I can see Atlus dedicating extra resources to translating during development. They've also said 2015 several times. Altus rarely misses dates. Only reason P5 doesn't have a US date is that it doesn't have a JP date yet. Altus' marketing is completely beholden to what the JP side does.

Yeah, we've seen absolutely nothing about P5 other than the inital trailers they've shown. Nothing translated atleast.

P4 was barely marketed at all until right before release. Short marketing cycles and word of mouth reliance seems to be P-Studio's trademark.

November release for Japan and mid/late December for the US seems like a solid bet at this point. Either that or a simultaneous release in December, but I expect the former more.

P4 was barely marketed at all until right before release. Short marketing cycles and word of mouth reliance seems to be P-Studio's trademark.

November release for Japan and mid/late December for the US seems like a solid bet at this point. Either that or a simultaneous release in December, but I expect the former more.

Definitely wouldn't give enough time for the GB crew to play it since they do deliberations early December.

A lot has changed since Altus was marketing persona 4. They go much harder into the marketing of their games now. And P5 is their marquee release, their first real current gen release. I don't think it's going to just have a small trailer or two and then a release this time around.

Which makes the lack of p5 marketing a huge red flag that it's not coming soon.

Definitely wouldn't give enough time for the GB crew to play it since they do deliberations early December.

That's enough time to win the best styleeee award at the very least.

A lot has changed since Altus was marketing persona 4. They go much harder into the marketing of their games now. And P5 is their marquee release, their first real current gen release. I don't think it's going to just have a small trailer or two and then a release this time around.

And yet they put a trailer out that was exclusive to pre orders for a spin off title, the marketing for this game makes no sense but that doesn't change the fact that numerous things point to a late 2015 release.

yami4ct

We'll see after TGS. That'll be the day to announce a date if they really are going for this year, and by all accounts they still are.

It's a small red flag, but I honestly don't see it as close to looking like a delay. Persona is a different beast. Altus can release it whenever they want and it will do just as well. In the US, the lack of marketing is just due to being completely beholden to the JP side. If Persona 5 is 2015 in JP, it'll be 2015 in the US. I'll continue to believe that until we get official word otherwise.

That's enough time to realise to win the best styleeee award at the very least.

Guilty Gear Xrd is proof of that.

Just Cause 3 will have the ill fortune of being that last major open world game released in a year absolutely rotten with major open world games. It's going to be an uphill battle for that game to get award attention.

Also if Persona 5 isn't coming this year then they sure have done a good job of straight lying to everyone's faces by repeatedly reaffirming (as recently as mid August) that it's a 2014 game.

I definitely think MGSV is going to be their GOTY.

Everyone seems to love it, and they're all playing it which definitely benefits it.

I don't think Splatoon ever had a chance at being #1, but I bet it'll be top 5.

I also think too many people dropped Witcher 3 too early for it have a chance at 1, but I bet it'll show up around the middle of the list (3-7 or so).

I predict that Fallout 4 will do well, but will not have a chance at 1.

Honestly, I think MGSV's biggest competitor will be Mario Maker.

Maybe. Don't forget Rocket League, Bloodborne, and Dying Light. Then you still have Halo 5: Guardians and (eventual Giant Bomb GOTY) Just Cause 3.

As for Super Mario Maker, I nearly bought a Wii-U for it but held off, mostly due to NX coming possibly next year, but also because, as awesome as SMM seems, I don't know if it has legs. I can see people loving it for a while, but then eventually burning out. It all has to do with how creative the community is and is able to be. The reason I loved LBP so much is because the community was able to make awesome levels that Media Molecule did not intend for them to make. Media Molecule thought people would make side-scrolling platforms (like the ones they made), but people utilized the tools in wacky ways and recreated entirely different genres of games (many of which influenced the additions to 2 and 3). My fear for Super Mario Maker is people will be too limited in what they can do. At first it will all be awesome and fresh, but if the community is not able to get creative after a while, I'm unsure if it will be able to thrive. What I mean by creative is not make awesome Mario levels (they will), but use the tools in ways Nintendo did not intend. The thing is, even if people found a way to do so, I'm not sure if Nintendo would act kindly to those levels.

yami4ct

Jason did good on his first GOTY discussion. Managed to get a game considered as an option and then given the actual award within like 10 minutes.

We should let Jason, Austin and Vinny have their own GOTY awards. They clearly have the best taste on the site anyway.

No one is going to remember Splatoon on GB

Listening to the BEASTcast, Alex clearly will remember for it. He just probably won't fight for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom