• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandie

I hope they continue to play Until Dawn, these games are much more enjoyable in a group.
and I'm too much of a wuss to play them alone.

Great find. It's really interesting to read from a historical perspective.

This part in particular:
Ryan Davis said:
On what makes Giant Bomb different
"We're still just four guys, and we still feel that there's plenty of places to get 'coverage' out there. Our focus will be on commentary and perspective on the significant goings-on in video games. And, you know, fun! We don't want to run sales numbers stories. There's enough business out there in the game press, everyone trying to be Serious Journalists. I've got big respect for the way guys like N'gai and Totilo carry themselves, but no ... I'd rather do stuff that makes me laugh. ... I'll be honest, I wasn't 100% sure this was going to work before we launched, but the response we've gotten so far has been so overwhelming, I'm confident that we're doing something that no one else really is."
is 100% mission accomplished. Giant Bomb satisfied a thirst I didn't even know I had.

It's really cool hearing their musings about the wiki in podcasts around the site's launch. Now that I think of it, I never realised what a key aspect of Giant Bomb it is; I guess, in part because the forums and wiki seem sorta isolated from the rest of GB in my mind. I'll have to try and dive into them more in the future.

I'm pretty excited about the Until Dawn playthrough. It's just a perfect game to not only watch, but for them to comment on. Kinda like Contradiction, but because Alex could choose it adds to the hilarity.

Lunar FC

Just finished the playdate, I love adults idea of what teens are like.

edit: Also this is the worst group of friends I've ever seen.

Myggen

Where's the "DO... DONK..." quote from? Given when the title was changed I assume MPP5, but what's the context? Must've missed it when watching the video.

There's enough business out there in the game press, everyone trying to be Serious Journalists. I've got big respect for the way guys like N'gai and Totilo carry themselves, but no ... I'd rather do stuff that makes me laugh.

preach

also a good explanation of why I wasn't a big fan of patrick I guess

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
preach

also a good explanation of why I wasn't a big fan of patrick I guess

To be honest, Patrick has never actually delivered on his reputation as a reporter. He was often referred to as Scoops but never actually delivered a hot scoop except that one he loved to talk about that he was beaten to.

That came out harsher than I intended, but he really doesn't have a niche imo. He isn't a great personality, he isn't a great writer and he isn't a great reporter. It leaves him in a tough place, which is a shame as I think he is a good guy.

To be honest, Patrick has never actually delivered on his reputation as a reporter. He was often referred to as Scoops but never actually delivered a hot scoop except that one he loved to talk about that he was beaten to.

That came out harsher than I intended, but he really doesn't have a niche imo. He isn't a great personality, he isn't a great writer and he isn't a great reporter. It leaves him in a tough place, which is a shame as I think he is a good guy.

I kinda agree. It's why I prefer Austin alot more, because those podcasts he's put out with the devs are pretty damn awesome. (Granted I dunno if Patrick did the same, I only joined GB about a year and a half ago)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick did many great interviews for GB, they are actually worth looking into if you haven't heard them yet. They were called Dumptrucks.

Curufinwe

He got the scoop on the Infinity Ward debacle.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ing-activision-investigating-insubordination/

If you want to shit talk a guy, and that's exactly what you were doing, try and get your facts straight.

Lunar FC

I just got the 'scoops' name just now. Holy shit.

KingKong

I feel like I learned so much about Alex from watching the Until Dawn video, like his fear of needles and the fact that his dad has a pet snake

Dude was still clearly more into "doing journalism" than the rest of the crew. That's fine, but that's never what I went to Giant Bomb for.

To be frank, though, I just think that he wasn't really entertaining at all. It always felt to me like he was the one person trying to be funny surrounded by people that were just naturally funny (his appearance at the PAX Rock Band thing was a good reminder for me of this). I thought his Video Thing stuff like this was an interesting step in the right direction, but he bailed before he could really develop the format.

Rainmaker

Banned
It was great watching Patrick grow as a personality and while I prefer Austin's writing (and the amount of it he does) they are both great at what they do onscreen, on podcasts, and journalistically. Patrick will always be a part of Giant Bomb to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Patrick was really great on the Fortune Street TNT. With how dejected he sounded when Ryan sold his stock in district A

Myggen

It was great watching Patrick grow as a personality and while I prefer Austin's writing (and the amount of it he does) they are both great at what they do onscreen, on podcasts, and journalistically. Patrick will always be a part of Giant Bomb to me.

Agreed.

jgminto

It's a shame the stuff Patrick has done since leaving GB hasn't interested me much. Obviously I'm not reading kotaku on a day to day basis and I almost always prefer watching game videos with more than one person talking unless they're really good on the mic so his YouTube stuff isn't that interesting either. Maybe if he did stuff with somebody else I like I'd be more interested.

Avoid that Boss vs. Big Boss vs. Snake thread. People being real asses about hinting at stuff pretty blatantly.

Shit is leaking into the main MGSV OT too. Fucking ridiculous. Lot of people who hated the ending wanting to spoil the fun for everyone else because they have to let EVERYONE know how much they hate it.

Jintor

Lol I can't wait to find out. I just finished Chapter 1 yesterday and are now bumbling around listening to cassettes and doing side-ops, but every time I go back to Mother Base I get a new cutscene so I guess things are happening

even if the story is somehow the worst thing to ever happen to the metal gear franchise, it won't take away from the fact that this is one of the most fun games to play that I've played in a long time

also man, I know it's been said, but Quiet is so OP. I love it. she single-handedly took out like 20 people at a base while I just snuck around back and completed the objective

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dude was still clearly more into "doing journalism" than the rest of the crew. That's fine, but that's never what I went to Giant Bomb for.

To be frank, though, I just think that he wasn't really entertaining at all. It always felt to me like he was the one person trying to be funny surrounded by people that were just naturally funny (his appearance at the PAX Rock Band thing was a good reminder for me of this). I thought his Video Thing stuff like this was an interesting step in the right direction, but he bailed before he could really develop the formt.

I didn't see that video back when it was new but I did recently buy the game from Humble's sale (and agree with what he said about the weird floaty character), but that was mostly great. Mostly because for the last half of the video I couldn't stop saying "undoos" to myself.

Great find. It's really interesting to read from a historical perspective.

This part in particular:

is 100% mission accomplished. Giant Bomb satisfied a thirst I didn't even know I had.

It's really cool hearing their musings about the wiki in podcasts around the site's launch. Now that I think of it, I never realised what a key aspect of Giant Bomb it is; I guess, in part because the forums and wiki seem sorta isolated from the rest of GB in my mind. I'll have to try and dive into them more in the future.

+Anime and Yellow Russians. :p

But yeah, I've been off that Wiki fun for a while. There were some big holes in that I was plugging, and there's still some.

I just got the 'scoops' name just now. Holy shit.

"Oooooooooooooohhhh...DOWN."

BanGy.nz

Banned
Shit is leaking into the main MGSV OT too. Fucking ridiculous. Lot of people who hated the ending wanting to spoil the fun for everyone else because they have to let EVERYONE know how much they hate it.
How are people at the end already? I've put 40 hours into this thing and I'm only at 27%

Someone was talking about goty earlier, but I'm too lazy and inebriated to find it. I sincerely believe that people are going to play Fallout 4 and come away saying "That's it?"

even if the story is somehow the worst thing to ever happen to the metal gear franchise, it won't take away from the fact that this is one of the most fun games to play that I've played in a long time

also man, I know it's been said, but Quiet is so OP. I love it. she single-handedly took out like 20 people at a base while I just snuck around back and completed the objective

I agree 100%. You guys know I hate open world games, so trust me when I say that this is a fucking great game. The open world actually makes the core gameplay better, which is a goddamn rarity. MGSV is a magnum opus.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
If the story goes where I think it's going based on a thing I think I noticed today, I think I'll like it

Problem is I'm only 10 missions in at 30hrs so it'll be a while before I get to the end

Jintor

It's like the polarity of story > gameplay has slowly been inverting over the course of Metal Gear and it just jumped like twenty places

Quiet is so godlike when just trying to take generic outposts since there's no cover. Just a storm of silent tranq darts

jgminto

How are people at the end already? I've put 40 hours into this thing and I'm only at 27%
I think that percentage includes all items, mission ranks and objectives so even when you do get to the ending it likely won't be at 100%. That's how it worked in GZ anyway.

Myggen

Someone was talking about goty earlier, but I'm too lazy and inebriated to find it. I sincerely believe that people are going to play Fallout 4 and come away saying "That's it?

I don't know man. I remember Jeff loving Fallout 3. If it's more of that I think they'll really enjoy it. It being this close to MGSV might make the open world feel a bit dated though.

The Until Dawn stream was great btw, looking forward to the next episode. And the game Jeff played on UPF and has raved about on a couple of Bombcasts looks amazing.

hamchan

Oh boy.

Anyways, even if the story is trash at least there isn't much of it and a whole lot of game instead. Unlike MGS4 where the majority of it was trash cutscenes that had an insane length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom