• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Someone was talking about goty earlier, but I'm too lazy and inebriated to find it. I sincerely believe that people are going to play Fallout 4 and come away saying "That's it?" \

I wonder.

The bar has been raised for open world games as of late I feel (Witcher 3, Phantom Pain), and Bethesda's last game was 2011.

It took me 38(closer to 35 because of idling) hours to finish MGS 5 with 49 of the side ops done. A lot of those are just pointless filler so I feel like I did most of the important ones. I'll never understand how some people drag their playthroughs of games out to such absurd, mindbogglingly boring lengths.

How are people at the end already? I've put 40 hours into this thing and I'm only at 27%

People probably bumrushing the story missions and skipping side ops. Then getting surprised when they have to "grind" side-ops to unlock more missions later. Maybe it's unfair to accuse them of that since I haven't reached that point yet, but I view side-ops as core gameplay content and love doing them. I mean, I would like to reach the ending soon at this point, but I always get sidetracked doing other things in the game that it's easy to play for 5 hours and only complete 2 main missions.

The huge open areas are nice in Phantom Pain, but it doesn't really do anything with the open world structure. It's completely reset every time you leave, meaning it's nothing more than a big, open mission area. I'd reckon that the patrols are the only real innovation in open world design. Most importantly, I think almost no one genuinely free-roams in the areas, due to the extensive travel time/brutal checkpoints imposed on the player, let alone the complete lack of reason to do so aside from side ops.

The Phantom Pain is a terrible open world game, succeeding in spite of itself.

The huge open areas are nice in Phantom Pain, but it doesn't really do anything with the open world structure. It's completely reset every time you leave, meaning it's nothing more than a big, open mission area. I'd reckon that the patrols are the only real innovation in open world design. Most importantly, I think almost no one genuinely free-roams in the areas, due to the extensive travel time/brutal checkpoints imposed on the player, let alone the complete lack of reason to do so aside from side ops.

It's a great open world game! The world resetting only allows you to have more fun every time. No need to reset outposts or restart the game. IMO atleast.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, I'd rather it just plop you into an area like Ground Zeroes and let you start the mission right away.

Jintor

The main thing I think that most open world games just never mastered is that the core gameplay loop of MGSV - what you're actually doing - is fun in and of itself. I can't say that about a lot of open world games, even ones I poured a lot of time into (Witcher, Fallout, Assassin's etc). Those games survive usually because of compelling stories or environments or exploration. MGSV conversely doesn't really have interesting environments (it's got pretty good setpieces from time to time, there's a few places in Africa I really like for instance) or anything to find, but the core gameplay is just so damn good.

It's more on the Just Cause / Far Cry side of the spectrum, except beyond that in terms of the gameplay being enjoyable.

Although if Snake could paraglide and attach himself onto a car and then jump from car to car in a moving convoy battle that would be sick

All of that said though D-Horse should not take a buddy slot

I don't really mind the lack of persistence in the outposts. It doesn't bother me as much as in Far Cry 2 because MGSV is just less frustrating to play. But I do wish there was more interesting stuff populating the non-outpost areas of the world. Like, when exploring the Africa zone, I saw a bunch of empty houses along a road. They weren't marked on the map and you couldn't see any square shapes marking buildings on the map. So I went inside each and every house to see if I might find a rare super large diamond or maybe a cool tape. But no, they were all empty. Or going into an empty dead end valley in Afghanistan to maybe find a rare legendary animal or an escaped prisoner with super good stats or unique skill. But no, it's just empty. I wish there were interesting things to see and find just out in the world without having to rely on a mission/side op to instance them in. Give you a reason to explore without following a predesignated circle on your map.

Don't get me wrong, MGSV makes great use of the areas it has, but calling it an open world in the traditional sense is wrong. There is no permanence or progression; it's all just one giant level you go up against again and again. Fortunately they stuffed in enough mechanics to make this formula utterly compelling, and put great work into making each individual hotspot a joy to play through, shaking things up mission to mission. All the variable at play make it feel fresh 100% of the time.

MGSV has got a great core game, but a terrible open world. If that makes more sense.

But in Fallout 4 you can build stuff! It's a revolutionary open world game.

Ne'er before has crafting and building been seen in an open world, no sirree.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't know how people can play a game that controls as badly as Bethesda games do for 100+ hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, can you blame them? Everything we've seen of it seems like 'more of the same fallout'. Even Jeff weighs in-

And it's like...yeah more fallout is nice, I guess? Maybe?

Just Cause 3 looks like 'more of the same thing' too. Don't see why it's a bad thing unless it fits someones narrative.

Fallout New Vegas was just more of Fallout 3, and it was still one of my most anticipated games of that year. I bought it knowing it would just be more of the same it's still one of my favorite games ever. I love exploring in those games and they usually have really cool quest lines. If Fallout 4 is just a prettier, better controlling Fallout game, then I'm totally fine with that. I really really hope they take as little influence from Skyrim as possible though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know how people can play a game that controls as badly as Bethesda games do for 100+ hours.

Mods.

Also for skyrim I played a summoner class specifically so I don't have to do combat.

It's fun to sic a couple of demon's to bo your bidding.

Fallout New Vegas was just more of Fallout 3, and it was still one of my most anticipated games of that year. I bought it knowing it would just be more of the same it's still one of my favorite games ever. I love exploring in those games and they usually have really cool quest lines. If Fallout 4 is just a prettier, better controlling Fallout game, then I'm totally fine with that. I really really hope they take as little influence from Skyrim as possible though.

Skyrim is too successful for them to ignore it.

If there is, Metal Gear Solid (PS1) isn't connected to it and this is a crime.

I propose it be called: static location games, or maybe monolocation games.

I have no idea how to do anything on the GB wiki, but ya I have a certain appreciation for those kinds of settings. Was kinda hoping there might be a list compiled somewhere to help me think of more games fitting into that trope.

Jintor

VATS really did make fallout more enjoyable cos there wasn't this stupid frantic realtime feeling I always got in Morrowind and Oblivion

Jabronium

I know Brad tweeted this a short while back but I'm just seeing it now and it's driving me nuts.

How do I get rid of the stupid flies around Big Boss?

danm999

Just Cause 3 looks like 'more of the same thing' too. Don't see why it's a bad thing unless it fits someones narrative.

I mean I've only played Just Cause 2. It's ok if they give me another slightly iterative version of that. But four or five games in and I might feel fatigue about playing that style of game again.

I don't know man. I remember Jeff loving Fallout 3. If it's more of that I think they'll really enjoy it. It being this close to MGSV might make the open world feel a bit dated though.

Here's the problem, though:

All we're getting is a spruced up Fallout 3 when what we should be getting is
a spruced-up Fallout: New Vegas.

kai3345

Banned
Here's the problem, though:

All we're getting is a spruced up Fallout 3 when what we should be getting is
a spruced-up Fallout: New Vegas.

Preeach.

People have this weird perception (usually from people that haven't played it or didn't play much) that New Vegas was some sort of fake B-team Fallout when it's actually as close to the real A-Team for Fallout as we're going to get today and is actually secretly the best game in the series.

Myggen

Preeach.

People have this weird perception (usually from people that haven't played it or didn't play much) that New Vegas was some sort of fake B-team Fallout when it's actually as close to the real A-Team for Fallout as we're going to get today and is actually secretly the best game in the series.

Since every thread on GAF involving Fallout 3 have a ton of people posting about how much better they think NV is, I don't think anyone here are under any such illusions. NV fans are loud as fuck, and can be obnoxious about it.

Patryn

Someone was talking about goty earlier, but I'm too lazy and inebriated to find it. I sincerely believe that people are going to play Fallout 4 and come away saying "That's it?"

In terms of GB, I have a feeling Jeff will find it boring and played out and Brad will be enthusiastic but put it down after only a few hours and move on to something else.

On GAF, it will be called the worst game of all time a bunch and commonly be considered a supremely shitty game.

In terms of GB, I have a feeling Jeff will find it boring and played out and Brad will be enthusiastic but put it down after only a few hours and move on to something else.

On GAF, it will be called the worst game of all time a bunch and commonly be considered a supremely shitty game.

...and then win GAF GotY in the RPG category.

It is GAF's destiny.

jgminto

she's still topless and jamming to 80s tunes in a prison cell for me

^
(Really not a spoiler but just in case)
The first time I went to the medical platform to visit and
she had Rebel Yell blasting from her cell was a cool moment.
The bigger character developments come pretty late in the game but I think the game does a good job at establishing a bond between her and Big Boss even as you play.

FStop7

Banned
I'd heard a lot about Until Dawn but the GBE playdate's the first time I've seen it in action. I really didn't expect to like it because I'm not a fan of teen slasher films nor am I a fan of this style of game. I didn't like Heavy Rain and entirely skipped Beyond: Two Souls. But Until Dawn looks... good. Really good. I think Supermassive's deliverd on some of the things that Quantic Dream hasn't. The acting's better. A lot better. So is the dialogue. The involvement of those indie horror guys makes a real difference. They know what they're doing. And the presentation of the QTEs themselves seems to work better than Quantic Dream's. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but whatever it is is significant.

daydream

Banned
I haven't seen anyone claim it. Sounds awesome.

ok, cool. i don't know how many people even cared about the op being up-to-date and all that last year but personally, i found it was more structured than the goty hub on the site so at the very least, i will be satisfied again

Beyond made a lot of the same improvements to the general flow of the game compared to Heavy Rain. Ie, smoother movement and better qte flow. Beyond has a lot more gameplay than Until Dawn does though(ie, you actually control Aiden within a 3D space and can mess with various objects) and 90% of the chase sequences involve actual direct control instead of being based solely on QTEs. Beyond was a massive step forward for the genre and I'm really looking forward to Quantic Dream's next project now that Cage isn't the sole writer.

Wait, for real? I've just been running around doing side ops in the field, guess I'll head back.
Wait before you do, there's 2
special cutscenes if you stink enough, one of which is with
quiet

Who thought having her hum constantly when she's out on a mission with you without any way of getting her to shut the fuck up was a good idea?

Everytime she hums, she is tagging a target for you. My only issue with quiet is getting her to follow me around a map. I sometimes get alerted on purpose so she'll rush over to me. But yeah giving her the "cover me" order with a tranq snipers kinda breaks things. Give her the regular non silent one if you want to use as a decoy, or silenced if you just want bodies everywhere. I now run into the issue or trying to find all the sleeping soldiers since they aren't tagged using cover me.

Has anyone used the Fulton DD? I love how enemies just ignore him capturing all the sleeping guys everyone. They just try to shoo him away if they don't see you near DD

If you guys haven't realized, I have a problem regarding my obsessive need to catch me all lol, especially after some mid game story missions (mid to late 20s)
i can't believe I lost like 200 ppl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom