• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
I'd heard a lot about Until Dawn but the GBE playdate's the first time I've seen it in action. I really didn't expect to like it because I'm not a fan of teen slasher films nor am I a fan of this style of game. I didn't like Heavy Rain and entirely skipped Beyond: Two Souls. But Until Dawn looks... good. Really good. I think Supermassive's deliverd on some of the things that Quantic Dream hasn't. The acting's better. A lot better. So is the dialogue. The involvement of those indie horror guys makes a real difference. They know what they're doing. And the presentation of the QTEs themselves seems to work better than Quantic Dream's. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but whatever it is is significant.

There are less QTEs in until dawn, less actions to perform. Less objects in the world to interact with. Which isn't a negative.

I really enjoyed Beyond and Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain had too many major problems with the story, too many dangling threads. Beyond tried to do too much, it went some bizzare places. By keeping Until Dawn in "horror movie trope" land, it allows a clarity of focus Beyond didn't achieve.

Beyond has far less quick time events than Until Dawn which is solely based on them. You literally never actually control a character in any action event in UD. Which I don't mind, but it very much goes full forward in the interactive movie approach whereas Beyond really tried to integrate more involved gameplay sequences and direct control within the genre.

jgminto

Should I just be fultoning every enemy I knock out or should I be more selective?
Early on you'll just want to Fulton everybody, even D rank soldiers have some use at that point but eventually you'll want to move your quality bar up as you start filling out your units.

Should I just be fultoning every enemy I knock out or should I be more selective?

fulton everything

You see that mountain over there? There's a sheep to be fultoned.

You see that building over there? There's a machine gun to be fultoned.

You see that Tank over there? It can be fultoned.

Son of a goddamn bitch, between supposedly non-spoiler Metal Gear threads and the Beastcast thread I've unwillingly pieced together probably the big MGSV twist. Fuck this.

Anjin M

Son of a goddamn bitch, between supposedly non-spoiler Metal Gear threads and the Beastcast thread I've unwillingly pieced together probably the big MGSV. Fuck this.
That is definitely a shitty thing about all of the talk. Individual statements may not be spoilers, but they all can add up to one.

Anjin M

ok, cool. i don't know how many people even cared about the op being up-to-date and all that last year but personally, i found it was more structured than the goty hub on the site so at the very least, i will be satisfied again
I really liked having an OT to organize everything I might miss on the site. If I could ask for one change, it would be to split up the guest top 10 lists by day as well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of GB, I have a feeling Jeff will find it boring and played out and Brad will be enthusiastic but put it down after only a few hours and move on to something else.

On GAF, it will be called the worst game of all time a bunch and commonly be considered a supremely shitty game.
This has really become Brad's M.O., what happened there?

daydream

Banned
I really liked having an OT to organize everything I might miss on the site. If I could ask for one change, it would be to split up the guest top 10 lists by day as well.

hm, noted

adding some faces to the mix would probably also be only fair, as some of the guest top 10s are legitimately well done and way more interesting than gb's list

tchocky

My only issue with quiet is getting her to follow me around a map. I sometimes get alerted on purpose so she'll rush over to me. But yeah giving her the "cover me" order with a tranq snipers kinda breaks things.

If you want Quiet to go somewhere you go into the idroid and under Buddy Support there is options to tell her where to go. You can also press up and down on the d pad on the map screen to get the option as well.

There is a pop cap at motherbase, I know ive hit it before where the extra recruits I would have gotten from those missions you send guys out to were auto dismissed because I had no room. Early on id Fulton everyone, once you start seeing A ranks, you can be a bit more selective, once I had like 100 e ranks sitting in my waiting room, I started to clean house

If you want Quiet to go somewhere you go into the idroid and under Buddy Support there is options to tell her where to go. You can also press up and down on the d pad on the map screen to get the option as well.
Wait seriously?! Fuck I've been doing this all wrong... Ty so much for the tip

hamchan

Tbf, it was less you then it was something you said that was admittedly pretty ambiguous crossed with the assholes in the legendary soldier thread being real obvious.

I think people are getting more loose with spoilers as more people finish the game. Sucks. I don't even want to go in the OT until I finish these couple last missions.

FStop7

Banned
fulton everything

You see that mountain over there? There's a sheep to be fultoned.

You see that building over there? There's a machine gun to be fultoned.

You see that Tank over there? It can be fultoned.

I am this horrid human vacuum cleaner marching across Afghanistan, just sucking up every plant, person, and machine in my path.

I think people are getting more loose with spoilers as more people finish the game. Sucks. I don't even want to go in the OT until I finish these couple last missions.

Pretty pissed right now. The desire to complete the game has just evaporated, which is silly since the gameplay is so good but having trouble shaking that feeling regardless.

I am this horrid human vacuum cleaner marching across Afghanistan, just sucking up every plant, person, and machine in my path.
bring DD with the Fulton upgrade, his Fulton's don't use your supply and he has no limit so you can save yours for vehicles and weapons. Don't you love the feeling of sneaking/rushing up to an enemy vehicle and sending it away? So satisfying.

I'm a terrible hoarder though, never take any vehicle out besides a jeep cause I'm afraid I'll kill some A++ enemies by mistake

tchocky

Wait seriously?! Fuck I've been doing this all wrong... Ty so much for the tip

Yes, Quiet has two options the first you can only send her to camps and she will run around the outside of the camp and mark every guard and prisoner she sees. The second option attack she can be sent to more locations but will not fully mark them just that blurry mark that DD does.

Yes, Quiet has two options the first you can only send her to camps and she will run around the outside of the camp and mark every guard and prisoner she sees. The second option attack she can be sent to more locations but will not fully mark them just that blurry mark that DD does.
Damn lol, i was wondering for the longest time how to get her to "scout" I generally have been just using that cover me command (thinking that all buddy commands reside in the l1 menu) and doing my thing while she provides over watch. Quiet just got significantly more broken lol

Early on just fulton the shit out of EVERYTHING. Once you get the analyzer upgrade for your binoculars and your base starts to get crowded, start replacing your lower-grade soldiers with better ones.

Man Metal Gear Scanlon V is going to be ridiculous, I'm basically going to have to skip unessential episodes to keep up with it. The P4 ER which I loved took like a year and a half for me to get through.

yami4ct

Son of a goddamn bitch, between supposedly non-spoiler Metal Gear threads and the Beastcast thread I've unwillingly pieced together probably the big MGSV twist. Fuck this.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure I figured out the twist from just a couple trailers and the prologue. It sucks to miss the surprise, but I'm enjoying the game a ton regardless and still am enjoying the story.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure I figured out the twist from just a couple trailers and the prologue. It sucks to miss the surprise, but I'm enjoying the game a ton regardless and still am enjoying the story.

I just hope there's more to the story than that, and considering how sparse said story is I'm pretty doubtful of that.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I hope they start MGS this week. Considering its gonna take forever to get through anyway

yami4ct

I just hope there's more to the story than that, and considering how sparse said story is I'm pretty doubtful of that.

I'm finding a pretty significant amount of story, it's just in the tapes instead of the cutscenes. It's not as much as a typical metal gear, but I'm liking what's there.

As for the twist, if it is what I think it is, the game really doesn't seem to be hiding it. I won't say any more than that. I don't want to be the asshole that ruins anything for anyone else.

If you consider that the previous games made you sit through hours upon hours of codec calls that didn't have cutscenes to go along with them than V has about as much story as the others. It's just spread out across a much longer game and the cassette tapes are optional instead of being awkwardly integrated like the codec calls.

Of course the game's story is unfinished and even with the cassette tapes half of the game is left unresolved but oh well.

I'm finding a pretty significant amount of story, it's just in the tapes instead of the cutscenes. It's not as much as a typical metal gear, but I'm liking what's there.

As for the twist, if it is what I think it is, the game really doesn't seem to be hiding it. I won't say any more than that. I don't want to be the asshole that ruins anything for anyone else.

PM what you think the spoiler is. I won't confirm it for you if you don't want me to.

jgminto

Just got to the real ending myself…can somebody please buy the license off Konami so we can get a follow up? Please?
This is going to become my Half Life/Shenmue 3…but actually a good game.

tuxfool

Banned
Pretty pissed right now. The desire to complete the game has just evaporated, which is silly since the gameplay is so good but having trouble shaking that feeling regardless.

If you played the prologue,
you probably already had a thought of what the twist is.

At least that was the case for me. It was the impetus for the situation that drove my curiosity.

If you played the prologue,
you probably already had a thought of what the twist is.

At least that was the case for me. It was the impetus for the situation that drove my curiosity.

Good point. I had the same thought. Who cares anyway, awesome gameplay is awesome gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom