• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole complaining about people talking about the MGSV ending in other threads thing is starting to turn into people talking about the MGSV ending in this thread

Don't fret; just need to have the story completed by then!
By the time I finished the story this afternoon I was at 40% completion.

The problem with me is that once I beat the story I know I will stop - especially if I beat the story and there is a huge percentage left. I will just give up! That's why I am working on both side ops and story as I go, to get my end percentage close to complete when I finally complete the story - then I might try to work for 100% from there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mario Maker is days away and I'm still no where near done with MGSV.

Same but with Mad Max.

I hit max rank in Mad Max and have barely touched the story. The combat is so much fun that I get Sleeping Dogs vibes where I just want to go around punching dudes and that's incredibly satisfying.

jgminto

I hope enough of the GB guys actually get into MGSV's story so a Spoilercast makes sense. Would be a pretty interesting one.

ive had a couple of story threads spoiled for me, but no major twists, i dont think. it's all stuff i speculated from trailers or stuff i speculated from playing the game. im just a little bothered that i confirmed my suspicions on things from the internet rather than playing the game

in any case i took the day off from playing it today

yami4ct

I hope enough of the GB guys actually get into MGSV's story so a Spoilercast makes sense. Would be a pretty interesting one.

Since we're getting Metal Gear Scanlon V, I kind of doubt we'll see a spoilercast for the game. I would dig one, though. Dan and Drew will definitely finish it. I think Brad and Jeff likely will as well at this point.

jgminto

Since we're getting Metal Gear Scanlon V, I kind of doubt we'll see a spoilercast for the game. I would dig one, though. Dan and Drew will definitely finish it. I think Brad and Jeff likely will as well at this point.

If Brad and Jeff finish it a spoilercast would still make sense alongside MGScanlon. Also it would give Dan and Drew more time to think about it instead of trying to go over every single detail when the credits start rolling like they have before.

hey people who have finished mgs5, without spoiling anything, is the story in this game actually good? I'm like 10% in and haven't gotten a solid read on the quality of the story so far (which maybe says something), but i've heard some bad things.

edit after seeing below post: :(

it's a really fantastic playing game so far but mannnnnnn there's some weird things about it structurally and story-wise

There are some interesting themes at work but the story is incomplete in every way and the final mission is completely separate from everything else that has been happening which makes the long road to unlocking it really weird. The development difficulties are very apparent and I'm shocked no one but Kotaku seems to have brought it up. I'm not exaggerating when I say if I hadn't double checked I wouldn't have thought I'd beaten the game.

It's just a real shame given this might be the last we see of the series, and certainly Kojima's last take.

Also worth noting is that Kojima's leering eye is present constantly which really jars with the relatively more mature way he handled the rest of the game. Tons of ass and crotch shots that never stop being jarring.

If Brad and Jeff finish it a spoilercast would still make sense alongside MGScanlon. Also it would give Dan and Drew more time to think about it instead of trying to go over every single detail when the credits start rolling like they have before.

Don't forget that Jason could join in.

DamnBoxes

I'm pretty sure he took Tuesday off to play it, they mentioned it on the Bombcast. Or in the QL.

In any case, we have this now as proof!

L5xBKNS.png

erawsd

I'm looking forward to the next Scanlon but this is really the perfect Vinny game -- an open world that encourages the player to embrace how dumb it is.

AcridMeat

Banned
In any case, we have this now as proof!

L5xBKNS.png
Does the chopper music only play when you use it as support? Or does it play when it picks you up as well? That was one of the first upgrades I ever bought in the game and I've never heard any music.

Finished another lengthy session where I only completed a handful of side ops and one or two story missions. 8% and 13 hours.
Just brought Quiet back to mother base.
D: Although I did spend a while just sitting in the chopper listening through all of the cassettes I had piled up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Does the chopper music only play when you use it as support? Or for when it picks you up as well? That was one of the first upgrades I ever bought in the game and I've never heard any music.

whenever you see the helicopter, you can hear it.

Does the chopper music only play when you use it as support? Or does it play when it picks you up as well? That was one of the first upgrades I ever bought in the game and I've never heard any music.

You need to set the song to use, browse your tapes and one button will set the current one as the chopper music.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I hope he plays it through the way he wants to, since bee-lining the main missions can have an adverse effect in the amount of gear and things you end up having

From how he talks about why he dislikes open world games I think he's going to naturally bee line the story anyway.

Wunder

From how he talks about why he dislikes open world games I think he's going to naturally bee line the story anyway.

yeah but Phantom Pain is a little bit different in that its more of a mission/menu style so hopefully that pushes him towards checking out some Side Ops along the way

Drew can also just call in air strikes and helicopters forever since I assume he doesn't care about rank.

Drew enjoyed tackling The End in MGS3 with stealth, along with sometimes shooting up everyone. I could see him enjoying stealthiness in some missions, and just going wild in others

Volotaire

I feel so impatient for delaying my purchase of MGSV until December time. It's going to be excruciating not being able to watch Drew.

Drew can also just call in air strikes and helicopters forever since I assume he doesn't care about rank.
If Drew doesn't have GMP he won't be getting any upgraded gear, though. Money in the red lowers staff morale, and low morale staff can desert; this will not only leave him with no money to research tech, but he won't have the levels to do it to begin with. It'll be a massive bummer and lock him out of every cool thing Dan will inevitably want to show him.

Really, Konami does everything they can to push people to the Mother Base stuff, and ultimate their MB Coins.

The only solution I can think of is having Drew replay missions in someone's 100% save, but that'll open it's own can of worms regarding some story elements and events. Plus Potato Marshall will probably somehow FOB invade him.

This'll be a... Drewsasterous event.

jgminto

If Drew doesn't have GMP he won't be getting any upgraded gear, though. Money in the red lowers staff morale, and low morale staff can desert; this will not only leave him with no money to research tech, but he won't have the levels to do it to begin with. It'll be a massive bummer and lock him out of every cool thing Dan will inevitably want to show him.

Really, Konami does everything they can to push people to the Mother Base stuff, and ultimate their MB Coins.

The only solution I can think of is having Drew replay missions in someone's 100% save, but that'll open it's own can of worms regarding some story elements and events. Plus Potato Marshall will probably somehow FOB invade him.

This'll be a... Drewsasterous event.
It's not really a complicated system, he'll be fine. Going into the red isn't an actual worry, if you overspend on research and then go into red out in the field you'll be fine once you complete whatever mission or side op you're attempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom