• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

At the moment it is just a random Monster Hunter figure. I'm still trying to work out how to model DMX Goomba in 3D. Although, I might just end up printing it flat and pasting a picture on it.

Once I get all the bits, hopefully I'll be able to match the movement and sound to the Mario Maker video.

Ok then I did get the idea. That's a fun thing to do. You should think about sending it to them once it's done. ;)

No.

Infinity works just like Skylanders. It's really not that complicated.

I'm not claiming it to be complicated. I just haven't paid it any attention. Skylanders from what I've seen you just drop in and out as characters but Infinity seems like it locks playsets behind characters, like you won't be able to play the Inside Out stuff if you don't buy the Inside Out figures. I'm glad I don't have kids.

I'd probably buy a wacky Disney crossover kart racer and a cartoony Star Wars game, but there's no way I'm buying something so specifically designed to fleece money from me.

We're now in that nebulous territory where many people have finished mgsv and are desperate to discuss it and in their poor attempts to be vague they're giving up themes and plot points that I can now telegraph well in advance. And while it's not actual spoilers in the direct sense it's definitely revealing for those in the middle of a play through and are capable of rubbing two brain cells together.

Meh.

Oxirane

DelayedBackHellbender.gif

Zaph

I saw the tip of his bald head and immediately assumed you put a penis in there.

This is what the internet has done to me.

Zaph

Reading some of Danny's latest Twitter interaction just gave me a headache. Why is he choosing to converse with idiot twats?

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/with_replies

I think Danny always tries to approach these things as earnestly as possible, to a fault really, like here and when he ending up on TB's show.

While I don't really follow Penny Arcade, the article which kicked this all off I kind of agree with. I never pay attention nor put any value in individual reviews (unless it's from Jeff who's weird taste often aligns my own, which coincidently is the same editor Tycho praised) and instead rely on the consensus from places like Metacritic if I ever need to make sure a game I'm interested in isn't completely broken. However where Tycho goes off the deep end is the insinuation outlier reviews are inherently disingenuous - which is hilarious considering the very editor he previously praised has occasionally been that outlier and has had to deal with the fallout of readers questioning his motivations in a very similar way (although with a lot more vitriol).

the world would be a better place if we didn't assign numerical values to video game reviews.

at this point all the bitching and whining about when they're too high or not high enough or collusion or money hats or people not understanding the concept that objectivity is literally antithetical to criticism... isn't worth it

oti

Banned
the world would be a better place if we didn't assign numerical values to video game reviews.

at this point all the bitching and whining about when they're too high or not high enough or collusion or money hats or people not understanding the concept that objectivity is literally antithetical to criticism... isn't worth it

I feel like the majority of people who still read reviews really care about the scores.

I've been watching the Wii U launch stream and holy crap the Wii U had a bad launch lineup.

So that thing I noticed in mgsv yesterday that I thought might be a clue to what might be going on in the story, might actually not be what I thought it was. I haven't read anything about it, but just thinking more about it I'm starting to wonder if it's actually just a minor easter egg/ clever visual thing that everyone notices and people just aren't mentioning it here because it's either a) potentially spoilery b) not a big deal at all

Huh, you wouldn't mind pming me the possible clue would you? I spoiled myself on the story before release so I'd be interested to see if it is linked in anyway.

I think Danny always tries to approach these things as earnestly as possible, to a fault really, like here and when he ending up on TB's show.

While I don't really follow Penny Arcade, the article which kicked this all off I kind of agree with. I never pay attention nor put any value in individual reviews (unless it's from Jeff who's weird taste often aligns my own, which coincidently is the same editor Tycho praised) and instead rely on the consensus from places like Metacritic if I ever need to make sure a game I'm interested in isn't completely broken. However where Tycho goes off the deep end is the insinuation outlier reviews are inherently disingenuous - which is hilarious considering the very editor he previously praised has occasionally been that outlier and has had to deal with the fallout of readers questioning his motivations in a very similar way (although with a lot more vitriol).

I read said article. It is profoundly stupid. Tycho spends a lot of big words saying Phil Kollar is an idiot because he gave Mad Max a 5. Allow me to channel Tycho in my rebuttal: Egghead can't come to terms with the fact he likes dumb trash entertainment because it puts him on the same level as the idiot masses he differentiates himself from with his absurd verbosity.

While I don't really follow Penny Arcade, the article which kicked this all off I kind of agree with..

I never even knew there was a "thing" happening about reviews, I guess I am out of the loop with that one. As someone who writes a few reviews, and assigns scores to some things I guess I should know what is happening.

The two times people bothered to shout at me for a review was the original Gears of War and The Order. I am pretty happy my opinion is on a vastly lower scale than others

komplanen

Want to know what pure disappointment feels like? Well...

a) Take one of the coolest NeoGAF (or any forum) usernames
b) Maybe the poster is okay, but the username is fucking epic and the avatar is funny too
c) Time passes on and you see the username a bunch, making it a common sight comforting you and making you smile
d) You watch Peace Walker cinematics on Giant Bomb and find out the username is actually just a character from a 5 year old game.

That's what disappointment feels like. Now I bet next I'm gonna find out Übermatik isn't an actual raccoon...

tuxfool

Banned
We're now in that nebulous territory where many people have finished mgsv and are desperate to discuss it and in their poor attempts to be vague they're giving up themes and plot points that I can now telegraph well in advance. And while it's not actual spoilers in the direct sense it's definitely revealing for those in the middle of a play through and are capable of rubbing two brain cells together.

Meh.

This game suffers from the fact that there aren't a lot of meaningful story beats to discuss.
The trailers have tackled nearly everything of the major plot points that the game offers.

hey keyser how's that pc version of mgsv

My opinion on this has always been to be careful about all upcoming releases on all platforms. I am glad the PC release of MGS V is great, but that still does no mean people should blindly pre-order games on all platform going forward. Dishonored: Definitive Edition is a decent example of a release not living up to hype, although it was not catastrophic.

We will not make it out of 2015 without another shitstorm. A shitstorm is coming!

Myggen

What PA article are you referring? Can't find it on their site.

edit: Oh, it's this.

Volotaire

b) Maybe the poster is okay, but the username is fucking epic and the avatar is funny too
c) Time passes on and you see the username a bunch, making it a common sight comforting you and making you smile
d) You watch Peace Walker cinematics on Giant Bomb and find out the username is actually just a character from a 5 year old game.

That's what disappointment feels like. Now I bet next I'm gonna find out Übermatik isn't an actual raccoon...

Haha.

jaina

Yeah, I was tipped off about Coldman after a while. But still jarring to see that name in the Peace Walker video.

I'm finally listening to the official PAX panel, and Austin knows about Jeff's Alberto del Rio. He really is an avid Bombcast listener :)

Paid reviews are completely idiotic, the conversation is unnecessary. and the debate is unneeded. A publisher may be able to influence a small site to give a slightly better score with the draw of "OMG FREE GAMES," but a site that actually matters (which are very few), and may be influential to the masses (even less) are never going to fall for that.

Why would a publisher even try this? If a publisher tried, would the site involved not just run it as news? it would be more beneficial to report on something like this, with hard facts, than to accept a silly offer.

If publishers crave good feedback, it is obviously much easier to work with Youtube "influencers," and such efforts would not be seen as horrible once content is labeled correctly.

Great, now I am annoyed about something. Day ruined.

quit komplanen

get it

My opinion on this has always been to be careful about all upcoming releases on all platforms. I am glad the PC release of MGS V is great, but that still does no mean people should blindly pre-order games on all platform going forward. Dishonored: Definitive Edition is a decent example of a release not living up to hype, although it was not catastrophic.

We will not make it out of 2015 without another shitstorm. A shitstorm is coming!

I know and mostly agree, but you were so adament that it became hilarious.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The r&d one is definitely the toughest, but I finally got it this morning. You have to do it a few times to get the hang of where things are, and if you run out of time, you can look around for the ghosts of ones you missed.

Make sure you get the 3 over the railing at the start, and a good place to go then is to the stairs by the helipad and try taking a clockwise route down around the outside of the building to the bottom, looking everywhere along the way.

Yeah! When they introduced Hotcoldman I was really freaked out because I knew that name from GBGAF

I'm a little ways into MGSV (11ish missions, 10ish side ops) and man, I wish I hadn't watched any trailers. Practically every single cutscene I've encountered so far has already been shown to an extent, even a couple "surprise" ones (thinking specifically of the medical platform thing). Trailers for previous games would give away some stuff, but not everything (well, except GZ, which did literally show everything ahead of time). Hopefully there's a lot of insanity later on in the game.

Kind of a bummer that Drew said he wasn't planning on watching trailers before they sat down and watched all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom