• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
That's what Jeff was referring to when he was calling the phone thing the second biggest GB livestream trainwreck. We know that Lang got a "handler" because of it, and it's probably those consequences that makes it worse.

i didn't know that. dave's basically his own boss, right? so that chaperon would be self-assigned?

def sim

I remember around the launch everything in the game was broken in some way, sounds like that isn't really the case now? I'm personally mainly interested in the campaign so if that works well then that should be fine.

At launch, single player campaign worked fine and so did co-op. Versus multiplayer was an absolute no go and was the primary reason why my friends and I bought it. That sure was a bummer.

For you, though, you should be a-ok.

I remember around the launch everything in the game was broken in some way, sounds like that isn't really the case now? I'm personally mainly interested in the campaign so if that works well then that should be fine.

So far, i've played through Halo 1 and 2 Anniversary Editions and besides that achievement issue the only other issue i've had is that, strangely enough, halo 1 has some moments where the framerate takes a hit. Maybe 3-4 times during the campaign but it's sorta jarring especially now that I've played H2A and it basically runs at a constant 60 without any bumps.

Also, i hear that playing campaign playlists is still buggy so maybe dont bother with those. You can just play the campaigns normally and not have any issues regarding that though.

and lastly, yeah the MP seems to be okay these days. the game has been solid for months it seems and while it's not perfect it is safe to pick up now.

it's funny and the West coast crew is doing it as well. "Drew Scanlon! Dan...Ryckert!"

your 400th QL might be someone else first. it's a common practice to introduce yourself every time

Patryn

people get very upset if you say the witcher 3 is better than mgsv, is what gaming side is teaching me

Well, the Witcher series is a sacred cow on GAF.

Metal Gear Solid is the latest hotness.

MGSV will soon have the same backlash as MGS4. If you recall, that game was also super popular and then super hated and yet still won GOTY on GAF twice (the second time because a couple years later people were convinced it didn't deserve the award the first time).

Jeff likes Super Mario Maker. Like.... really likes it. Like GOTY likes it.

There's a reason I've been saying that Mario Maker is probably MGSV's biggest threat to GOTY for GB.

i'd like to discover disappointment on my own thank you very much

in other words: god damnit can't peeps stop talking about the damn MGSV ending in unrelated threads

Don't worry. Myggen assured us that people wouldn't talk about Metal Gear in this thread because there's enough MGS threads already.

Sorry Mygs. This whole thing cracks me up.

hamchan

MGSV already has a massive backlash from a large number of people who have finished it. Still confident it can win GOTY here since MGS4 did too.

MGS1 and 3 are the only games in the series free from backlash (here at least. Because we all know what Jeff thinks of 1 and 3)

LiK

Super Mario Maker won't make number 1 unless everyone else likes it. I think Jeff can push for it to be in the top 5 tho. he managed to put CoD: AW on the list all on his own.

Patryn

I'd love to love these Shadowrun games, but I played Shadowrun Returns on my tablet and it never really grabbed me. I should give it another go at some point.

Really I just want to buy a Renraku Kraftwerk-1 deck.

Returns is not as good as Dragonfall, which is also on the iPad. In fact, I literally just beat Dragonfall this weekend (it was my PAX line game).

It's really, really good.

Part of your problem is that they kind of fucked up and Decker is the worst class to be in Returns, because there's very little point to the Matrix parts of the game. However, Decker is arguably one of the best classes in Dragonfall because there's a lot of it that's very important.

IG probably has a board of directors or something similar?

IG is private. It's entirely possible that Dave owns 51 percent of it, which means that the Board can't really do jack shit to him.

At launch, single player campaign worked fine and so did co-op. Versus multiplayer was an absolute no go and was the primary reason why my friends and I bought it. That sure was a bummer.

For you, though, you should be a-ok.

and lastly, yeah the MP seems to be okay these days. the game has been solid for months it seems and while it's not perfect it is safe to pick up now.
I'm not sure if this is the answer that I wanted but I guess it means that I'm getting an Xbox One sometime this week.

Xater

MGSV already has a massive backlash from a large number of people who have finished it. Still confident it can win GOTY here since MGS4 did too.

MGS1 and 3 are the only games in the series free from backlash (here at least. Because we all know what Jeff thinks of 1 and 3)

MGSV is a great game from a gameplay perspective and to me that's still the most important thing with video games. So yeah it can still win GOTY, but it has strong competition. It floundered when it comes to story, ending and well kinda completion.

kiyomi

Sorry if this is unknown/been talked about a lot already, but do we know if Drew and Dan are doing Metal Gear Scanlon for MGSV? Or is he just gonna play it on his own time?

hamchan

Super Mario Maker won't make number 1 unless everyone else likes it. I think Jeff can push for it to be in the top 5 tho. he managed to put CoD: AW on the list all on his own.

I think everyone has a good chance of liking Mario Maker except maybe Drew.

MGSV is a great game from a gameplay perspective and to me that's still the most important thing with video games. So yeah it can still win GOTY, but it has strong competition. It floundered when it comes to story, ending and well kinda completion.

True. I can see Witcher 3 winning it since there's pretty much no backlash to that game besides technical problems on console.

MGSV plays so damn well that it could just have storyboard unvoiced cutscenes and the ending could just be a title card that reads "Note: Punished 'Venom' Snake died on his way back to his home planet" and i'd still say it's one of the best games i've played in years.

And I came off of Ground Zeroes not sure what to make of TPP, too.

I'd love to love these Shadowrun games, but I played Shadowrun Returns on my tablet and it never really grabbed me. I should give it another go at some point.

Really I just want to buy a Renraku Kraftwerk-1 deck.
Just play Dragonfall, it's better than Returns in every single way and there's no narrative connection between them.

Xater

MGSV plays so damn well that it could just have storyboard unvoiced cutscenes and the ending could just be a title card that reads "Note: Punished 'Venom' Snake died on his way back to his home planet" and i'd still say it's one of the best games i've played in years.

Exactly. I have already put 80 hours into that game and finished everything story relevant. I am still playing it doing all the side ops and remaining difficult missions. Also already looking forward to MGO now. With mechanics like these it could end up being super interesting and fun.

Returns is not as good as Dragonfall, which is also on the iPad. In fact, I literally just beat Dragonfall this weekend (it was my PAX line game).

It's really, really good.

Part of your problem is that they kind of fucked up and Decker is the worst class to be in Returns, because there's very little point to the Matrix parts of the game. However, Decker is arguably one of the best classes in Dragonfall because there's a lot of it that's very important.
Just play Dragonfall, it's better than Returns in every single way and there's no narrative connection between them.

I have an Android tablet but Dragonfall seems to be available for that too. Doesn't seem to be that expensive either, so maybe I'll give it a go instead to see if it grabs me better.

I'd agree with this, and I have pretty much only liked MGS games for their stories(How crazy they are, since I probably couldn't tell you a damn thing about them). MGSV is just a good damn fun game. I don't really even think about the story aspect while playing. I actually enjoy most of the side ops stuff over the main line missions because they seem a little less restrictive most of the time.

Xater

I'd agree with this, and I have pretty much only liked MGS games for their stories. MGSV is just a good damn fun game. I don't really even think about the story aspect while playing. I actually enjoy most of the side ops stuff over the main line missions because they seem a little less restrictive most of the time.

I would have liked a couple more side ops activities. Like for example destroying specific parts of compounds, something that actually happens in the main missions.

I'm 40 hours in and I'm only at 24% in the game. I'm just having too much fun to care about what I'm doing most the time. I enjoy just experimenting and fucking shit up.

Xater

I'm 40 hours in and I'm only at 24% in the game. I'm just having too much fun to care about what I'm doing most the time. I enjoy just experimenting and fucking shit up.

I didn't say I am not having fun, just saying there is some untapped potential. Like I said I am at like 80 hours and 69%.

I didn't say I am not having fun, just saying there is some untapped potential. Like I said I am at like 80 hours and 69%.

Wasn't necessarily in reply to you, was just sort of a continuation of my thoughts. Some more variance could have definitely been great, but I also haven't hit any sort of wall yet of stuff getting too similar or anything like that.

Zaph

i didn't know that. dave's basically his own boss, right? so that chaperon would be self-assigned?

I think it was more along the lines of realising 'oh shit this might actually be damaging to my professional relationships' rather than any individual/board forcing a handler on him.

And I'm pretty sure Jeff mentioned Boon won't come back on those streams, so yeah, it was probably the biggest trainwreck in the sense that it had lasting effects.

You can kinda tell Lang's changed too - during the Rumble, Greg brought up Borderlands Vita and Lang took the L and walked away rather than coming back at him.

Bacon

Yep I hate this term but the gameplay loop of mgsV is just so satisfying. Doing a mission then coming back to motherbase to do upgrades and listen to cassettes to decompress has been a joy for me so far. The gameplay is just so solid that I'm not bothered by some of the negatives that other people are bringing to the table.

LiK

Yep I hate this term but the gameplay loop of mgsV is just so satisfying. Doing a mission then coming back to motherbase to do upgrades and listen to cassettes to decompress has been a joy for me so far. The gameplay is just so solid that I'm not bothered by some of the negatives that other people are bringing to the table.

people have compared the loop to Destiny and I totally see where they're coming from. Grinding for mats really felt like it too lol

people have compared the loop to Destiny and I totally see where they're coming from. Grinding for mats really felt like it too lol

heart-attack.jpg

popo

Why do Beast QLs ALWAYS start with them calling their names first come on it's really annoying and why do I care so much.

They post to youtube. If you assume you are only speaking to your existing fans, who already know who you are, then you will never convert new fans. Please Like, Subscribe and post in the comments!

people get very upset if you say the witcher 3 is better than mgsv, is what gaming side is teaching me

Welcome to forum wars. You can't have two good games. One must be the best and - by the rules of internet physics - the other must be complete shit.

IG probably has a board of directors or something similar?

I would imagine there is a board and investors. Also, don't assume a "handler" was forced on Lang - like the way a big publisher does. Could well have been Lang's own idea to bring a PR guy along with him to make sure he gets the best out of promotional opportunities and doesn't go off the rails too much. Getting drunk on a stream is always pretty embarrassing - but I would bet Dave was a lot more bothered with his own actions than the company was.

The Arkham Knight port - regardless of how much input IG actually had - was a much worse PR disaster then years of Lang acting the goofball.

And I'm pretty sure Jeff mentioned Boon won't come back on those streams, so yeah, it was probably the biggest trainwreck in the sense that it had lasting effects.

I think that was a joke. You never can tell with Jeff though.

Xater

But MGSV doesn't involve much grind to get anywhere. Destiny sometimes involved hours upon hours of repeating stuff just to see a little bit of new content (the raid). Way worse design.

LiK

But MGSV doesn't involve much grind to get anywhere. Destiny sometimes involved hours upon hours of repeating stuff just to see a little bit of new content (the raid). Way worse design.

not 1:1 ratio obviously, but they have a lot in common. Destiny mainly suffered from lack of content which is the opposite of MGSV. if Destiny had just as many missions and side content as MGSV, the grinding wouldn't even be an issue cuz people wouldn't be doing the same missions over and over.

daydream

Banned
I think it was more along the lines of realising 'oh shit this might actually be damaging to my professional relationships' rather than any individual/board forcing a handler on him.

You can kinda tell Lang's changed too - during the Rumble, Greg brought up Borderlands Vita and Lang took the L and walked away rather than coming back at him.

yeah, that makes sense. having boon sit in with inebriated lang/vignocchi was a recipe for disaster from the very start, jeff knew exactly what he was doing, wasn't he

DamnBoxes

yeah, that makes sense. having boon sit in with inebriated lang/vignocchi was a recipe for disaster from the very start, jeff knew exactly what he was doing, wasn't he

There were... so many good moments during that bit. Such a joy to watch it over again.

Frith

That's what Jeff was referring to when he was calling the phone thing the second biggest GB livestream trainwreck. We know that Lang got a "handler" because of it, and it's probably those consequences that makes it worse.

what?!?

that knowing chuckle wasn't one of shame from lang from the podcast he seems very embarrassed about that drunken mess.

I would have said it was she who shall no be named if anything, that was drama like no other and it took years to go away (and keeps coming back).

Zaph

what?!?

that knowing chuckle wasn't one of shame from lang from the podcast he seems very embarrassed about that drunken mess.

I would have said it was she who shall no be named if anything, that was drama like no other and it took years to go away (and keeps coming back).

Jeff said it was the Lang/Boon/JV/Max stream.

What happened with Leigh was just her embarrassing herself, not actually a live stream trainwreck. That stream was otherwise fairly tame, most of the nonsense came afterwards online.

Myggen

what?!?

Nah, it was clearly referring to the GDC thing. The Leigh Alexander thing was probably a much bigger deal for assholes in the community than it ever was for them. As I said, Lang has mentioned getting a handler after that and Jeff was clearly referring to something Lang was involved in,probably half-jokingly.

Wunder

Nah, it was clearly referring to the GDC thing. The Leigh Alexander thing was probably a much bigger deal for assholes in the community than it ever was for them. As I said, Lang has mentioned getting a handler after that and Jeff was clearly referring to something Lang was involved in,probably half-jokingly.

<>

popo

Witcher 3 DLC comes with physical Gwent cards, the collectors edition anyway, and is called Hearts of Stone. Perfect. Poles don't give a fuck about you big yankee publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom