• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamnBoxes

Man I HATE the Disney Infinity art style. Every character just looks so ugly.

What's your phone number?

TH0hHwM.png

AcridMeat

Banned
I hope Rocket League gets a fair shake for GOTY. I don't think it's going to win at this point with MGS5 being so hot for them and things like Fallout/Tomb Raider/Just Cause 3 coming out.

I also wonder if Black Ops 3 will be a dark horse for Jeff. Or someone gets really into Battlefront. Wow this year is a banger just talking about it.
Anyone else got CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER in their personal top 10 right now? Anyone? Bueller?
I wanted to love it after the quick look. I loved the style, I loved the music, I especially loved the singing merchant. I just didn't think it was fun to play at all. Which is weird because I like music games.
And refunded it :(

So we're a little while in on MGSV being out. Anyone discovered the disgusting free to play gimmick ruining the single player side of things or is it a genuinely good game?

Jintor

So we're a little while in on MGSV being out. Anyone discovered the disgusting free to play gimmick ruining the single player side of things or is it a genuinely good game?

Nah the servers have been completely out of whack for the last week anyway and it hasn't had a noticeable effect. The free FOB you start with is sufficient to get your staff running acceptably anyway.

Anyway, MGSV ending talk: lol I'll be in the spoiler threads of anybody wants to chat because yo, kojimaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There's free to play stuff? I thought the extent of the online functionality was providing 5 screens I have to click through every time I boot up the game.

I believe that it wouldn't have any impact because you're only allowed one base and I think you get that for free. That's what I took from another thread on it so that could be wrong. The game also hasn't been especially grindy in my nearly 50 hours.

I played in offline mode for the entire playthrough and never noticed any of the microtransactions. You get one MASSIVE SPOILERS OF DOOM
FOB for free
which is more than enough for natural base building progression although it's certainly gross that the stuff is there at all.

The amount of time weapons take to develop is similar to Peace Walker as well.

newjeruse

Just Cause 3 comes out this year, doesn't it? I'd say that has the inside line for Jeff's vote unless they somehow screw it up.
Tomb Raider seems like it will garner some favor from Brad and Dan.

It's a very strong year. Hard to believe Shadow of Mordor won GOTY last year. It wouldn't be a blip on the radar this year.

killroy87

Tomb Raider seems like it will garner some favor from Brad and Dan.

It's a very strong year. Hard to believe Shadow of Mordor won GOTY last year. It wouldn't be a blip on the radar this year.

Even looking back at last year, it was a poor decision. There were much stronger games. Giving a decent game GOTY because of one standout mechanic was crazy.

tuxfool

Banned
There's free to play stuff? I thought the extent of the online functionality was providing 5 screens I have to click through every time I boot up the game.

Yeah. If you keep on sending people on combat ops, you'll find decreasing returns on the non-online ops. Also the online ops take forever, but Konami gracefully allow you to speed up that process with MBCoins.

Shadow of Mordor, while a great game, might not even make the top 5 open world game in 2015, let alone top 10 overall. I still think it is deserving of GOTY but that speaks less about SoM and more about what a shit year last year was

And that comes from someone who really liked the game and thinks that the nemesis system needs to be lifted by almost every open world game just like how batman's combat is in everything now.

Patryn

It's funny how Giant Bomb seems to often fall back to a "safer" GOTY choice as opposed to going with the game that they seem more passionate about.

See also: Skyrim over Saint's Row 3.

Brashnir

Shadow of Mordor, while a great game, might not even make the top 5 open world game in 2015, let alone top 10 overall. I still think it is deserving of GOTY but that speaks less about SoM and more about what a shit year last year was

And that comes from someone who really liked the game and thinks that the nemesis system needs to be lifted by almost every open world game just like how batman's combat is in everything now

I don't think it needs to be in everything, but I'm not opposed to seeing other games iterate and improve upon it. The new Crackdown seems like the perfect game to do something similar with.

Heimbeck

Banned

And that comes from someone who really liked the game and thinks that the nemesis system needs to be lifted by almost every open world game just like how batman's combat is in everything now.

It got a lot of positive press, but if a game was going to copy it they probably only started making the game last year.
Maybe next year there will be some games that use it.

Saints Row 3 was an empty shell of a game that was inferior to the second game in almost every single way(the new car animations were fun) so I'm glad it didn't win.

This year has been ridiculous. It's like last year was sacrificed so this year could happen. I'm so overwhelmed by the games I have to play right now and I only play on a single platform.

only AAA game i would say holds well from 2013 was TLOU but I haven't played GTAV yet so maybe that does, too. Otherwise, that was kind of a bust year too. Infinite especially was, for me, the biggest at launch letdown since MGS4.

MGS4 i can now appreciate with a bit of distance and with the hype having died down over the years but BI's poor pacing and more-annoying-and-prevalent-as-you-play arena combat setpieces really watered down the whole thing to the point where i have to force myself to remember how much i loved those first 5-6 hours of the game and not let the last 10 hours take that away from me

Brashnir

It's funny that I never specifically waited for the game to come to PC, it's just been on my backlog for 3 years and I never got around to playing it.

Same. I think I may even have two copies of it in my backlog. (Physical for 360 and a PS+ freebie on PS3)

Anjin M

Witcher 3 DLC comes with physical Gwent cards, the collectors edition anyway, and is called Hearts of Stone. Perfect. Poles don't give a fuck about you big yankee publishers.

Really? I'm going to buy my first collector's edition in years, aren't I?

After just ordering an Xbox One I've come to realise that I've bought two new consoles because of Platinum and I've yet to buy a PS4 despite that being the console that I've leant towards since it's announcement. Clearly Sony needs to get Platinum working on something.

Saints Row 3 was an empty shell of a game that was inferior to the second game in almost every single way(the new car animations were fun) so I'm glad it didn't win.

ditto. Series gets worse and worse with every sequel after 2

It always makes me happy to see that people like Saints Row 2, Saints Row 3 might be one of the most disappointing games of last gen for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It always makes me happy to see that people like Saints Row 2, Saints Row 3 might be one of the most disappointing games of last gen for me.

Oh I made a lengthy post during the GOTY discussions on gaf as to why SR 3 was worse than SR 2 in nearly every way. But even with all that, I still think 3 is a decent but disappointing game.

4 is terrible and anyone who likes it is terrible.

LiK

Danny got pissed that Polygon put MGSV spoilers in their twitter feed. I unfollowed Polygon for spoiling something else awhile ago. so lame.

Danny got pissed that Polygon put MGSV spoilers in their twitter feed. I unfollowed Polygon for spoiling something else awhile ago. so lame.

If it's their most recent tweet then it's barely a spoiler, it's a gameplay feature that you unlock pretty early on.

Heimbeck

Banned
After just ordering an Xbox One I've come to realise that I've bought two new consoles because of Platinum and I've yet to buy a PS4 despite that being the console that I've leant towards since it's announcement. Clearly Sony needs to get Platinum working on something.

Why did you buy it so early?

I'm going to get one anyway so I might as well pick one up now to play Halo 5.

Oh I made a lengthy post during the GOTY discussions on gaf as to why SR 3 was worse than SR 2 in nearly every way. But even with all that, I still think 3 is a decent but disappointing game.

4 is terrible and anyone who likes it is terrible.

I certainly didn't hate 3 and did enjoy my time with it, but it felt really lacking coming off of SR2.

I bought it myself recently because it came with TMCC, a free controller, and another game for $350. Quickly returned the game for $15 credit so it really was a decent deal. Backwards compatibility was a big reason to pick it up because i missed Geowars 1 that much.

Whoa when did people flip on Saints Row 3?

the people who really, really love SR2 never got on the SR3 train.

If it's their most recent tweet then it's barely a spoiler, it's a gameplay feature that you unlock pretty early on.

I chuckled when I saw who wrote the article. someone not exactly known for tact.

e: though to be fair it's an opinion piece and she's probably not the one who put it on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom