• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Saints Row 3 played and had a lot better writing than 2.

I disagree with this. Perhaps SR3 had much better "comedy" writing (which I don't know if I'm personally with that, since it mostly wasn't for me), but SR2 had a better balance between serious and silliness. SR2 had more compelling characters, and the Boss wasn't the diluted clown he became afterwards. Same goes for Shaundi, who completely changed for the worst.

Mission structure was better in SR2, the open world itself was better in SR2, and I remember driving felt more satisfying, too.

okay just ignore the much better character customization, the more lively city, and the excised activities and weapons because the fucking tow truck diversion is bad

saints row the third is a fucking shell of the previous game, only with better graphics and story missions

Patryn

You want this to go back to MGS V talk? No you don't.

So about that SR3, right guys? Like totally. Right? And the sex scenes. Like totally, guys. But which SR is better?

You have a point.

So.......

I'm one of the few whose favorite is Saint's Row 4, just because it's the one I have the most fun playing. Getting around in that game is a blast, and I love doing super beatdowns on everyone.

Sure, it's not difficult in the least, but then you have activities like Insurance Fraud, where they just exploit the broken physics so hard that I love just flying around the city for like 5 minutes without stopping and racking up millions more than you're required to get.

only AAA game i would say holds well from 2013 was TLOU but I haven't played GTAV yet so maybe that does, too. Otherwise, that was kind of a bust year too. Infinite especially was, for me, the biggest at launch letdown since MGS4.

MGS4 i can now appreciate with a bit of distance and with the hype having died down over the years but BI's poor pacing and more-annoying-and-prevalent-as-you-play arena combat setpieces really watered down the whole thing to the point where i have to force myself to remember how much i loved those first 5-6 hours of the game and not let the last 10 hours take that away from me

Infinite was my favorite game of the generation! I just fucking adored the setting and how crazy sci-fi it got at the end. I liked the combat a lot too, but I can see why someone wouldn't

okay just ignore the much better character customization, the more lively city, and the excised activities and weapons because the fucking tow truck diversion is bad

saints row the third is a fucking shell of the previous game, only with better graphics and story missions

It was a light-hearted jab friend. Anyway I'd say that the clothes in 3 looked better, the weapons were more fun to use and the sidemissions as a whole were more fun to play and you had to go through less of them to progress in the story (though Guardian Angel was shit.) On top of that SR3 had better shooting, driving, melee combat and story. SR2 had more features, but they were largely so small or so crap to play that I didn't miss them.

Also Crackdown 2 was the best crackdown due to wingsuits and the mag grenades even though the rest of the game was ass.

Infinite was my favorite game of the generation! I just fucking adored the setting and how crazy sci-fi it got at the end. I liked the combat a lot too, but I can see why someone wouldn't

This man knows where it's at. Fuck the post credit scene and the story expansions that ruined the games conclusion though.

Teddified

My only real problem with Saints Row 4 is when you get max wanted level the big guy comes who you have to beat by mashing a button. I wish you could just win by continuing to shoot him.

After just ordering an Xbox One I've come to realise that I've bought two new consoles because of Platinum and I've yet to buy a PS4 despite that being the console that I've leant towards since it's announcement. Clearly Sony needs to get Platinum working on.
I wish I could go back in time and not buy it at launch and get the crazy bundle with the super controller.

It was a light-hearted jab friend. Anyway I'd say that the clothes in 3 looked better, the weapons were more fun to use and the sidemissions as a whole were more fun to play and you had to go through less of them to progress in the story (though Guardian Angel was shit.) On top of that SR3 had better shooting, driving, melee combat and story. SR2 had more features, but they were largely so small or so crap to play that I didn't miss them.

Also Crackdown 2 was the best crackdown due to wingsuits and the mag grenades even though the rest of the game was ass.

The clothes look better, as does the rest of the game, but you have so little choice compared to 2. Most of the characters I made in 2 weren't possible in the Third, or were really watered down versions.

Also, to be honest, I think SR2's handling of activities is better simply because you have a whole lot more choice in the matter. You can just do the activities you want to do and avoid the booty ones, whereas the Third forces you to do every one (even pure garbage like Snatch which they made no improvements to in the course of three games) at least once to pad out the story. What's more, completing those activities would give you meaningful stuff like infinite sprint and great weapons instead of paltry cash and respect rewards. You'd want to play the activities because even if it was a lousy one, you'd at least get something decent out of completing all of its levels.

Crackdown 2 was good, but only because I played like like 7 years after playing the first one. I'd probably be pissed if I played it at launch.

Are we really starting up the Retroactive Hipster Backlash Machine and aiming it toward Saints Row 3? Come on.

For what it's worth, I think SRTT is fantastic, but not for the reasons I absolutely adore 2.

Are we really starting up the Retroactive Hipster Backlash Machine and aiming it toward Saints Row 3? Come on.

It's not retroactive at all, it's been happening since the release. Generally they'll be more positive impressions at launch as people who expect to like it will by it but (if it's generally perceived to be good by most) you'll get a minority who really dislike it. As the price reduces more people who weren't too sold on it will pick it up and they'll be more likely to be negative towards it. Same thing happens with just about every perceived backlash on here.

Living on the east coast now makes the Tuesday wait for the Bombcast even more unbearable. I feel like the second class Eastern Time citizen that I am.

This man knows where it's at. Fuck the post credit scene and the story expansions that ruined the games conclusion though.

Yeah, the DLC really soured me on the story. It tried way too hard to connect everything to Bioshock and was just kinda lame instead of Infinite's ridiculously fun crazy sensibility. I just don't count it.

Sulik2

This thread just makes me want a game of the generation cast even more. I want to hear Jeff argue for SR3 over Red Dead Redemption. The black horse Mass Effect 2 push from Vinny, Dan's Mario Galaxy craziness, the Burnout Paradise argument. Modern Warfare 1 or Modern Warfare 2. It would be glorious.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Since it was a holiday in the US yesterday they would have recorded it today, so it will be late.

Maybe they are doing it right now...

Good to know. Thanks.

Nah I've been too busy recently. Once I get some free time I plan to work on something super dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom