• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Saints Row 3 was an empty shell of a game that was inferior to the second game in almost every single way(the new car animations were fun) so I'm glad it didn't win.

I agree, but SR2 was bad too. The story and cut scenes were much better in Saints Row 3, but it was still in a mediocre to poor game for the majority of the time playing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I agree, but SR2 was bad too. The story and cut scenes were much better in Saints Row 3, but it was still in a mediocre to poor game for the majority of the time playing.

The characters in Saints Row 2 were a million times better than their Saints Row 3 counterparts, and I'd say that's a heavy part of the story. Your character was actually fairly unique as far as playable protagonists went in SR2 because you were kind of a scummy asshole gang leader and in 3 you just became ~lol goofball~

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The characters in Saints Row 2 were a million times better than their Saints Row 3 counterparts, and I'd say that's a heavy part of the story. Your character was actually fairly unique as far as playable protagonists went in SR2 because you were kind of a scummy asshole gang leader and in 3 you just became ~lol goofball~

They were all boring stereotypes in 2. They were stupid stereotypes in 3. At least with stupid I got to laugh a few times instead of wondering for 20 straight hours how Saints Row ever got a sequel in the first place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They were all boring stereotypes in 2. They were stupid stereotypes in 3. At least with stupid I got to laugh a few times instead of wondering for 20 straight hours how Saints Row ever got a sequel in the first place.

Saints Row 2 was The Room and Saints Row 3 was Sharknado. 'Yeah ok I get it wink wink nudge nudge'

Metal Gear games on sale on PSN right now. You can pick up MGS3 HD for under $5 for example. That game features 2 games not played through by the crew, MG1 and MG2:SS

Might pick up PW for PSP just to have a portable version of that game myself. MGSV has given me a newfound respect for that grindy clunky game

also, Dan's favorite FPSes, Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light
both legit damn good game, Dan be damned
can be had for $7.50 each. you guys gotta try them

DamnBoxes

DaLa_Modok_02-e1440899546901-825x509.png

After just ordering an Xbox One I've come to realise that I've bought two new consoles because of Platinum and I've yet to buy a PS4 despite that being the console that I've leant towards since it's announcement. Clearly Sony needs to get Platinum working on something.

people have already forgotten about Nier 2 :(

jaina

WB published it
... in the US. Bamco in PAL. But CPR published on all digital stores. But still not Ubi :)

Saints Row 2 was The Room and Saints Row 3 was Sharknado. 'Yeah ok I get it wink wink nudge nudge'
Are you trying to wipe SR3 from my backlog? :(

I recommend people go visit that mgsv spoiler thread at some point in their lives. emcee's in there writing fanfic again and it's great
Thanks! Love his prose, gonna bookmark it for Christmas.

I recommend people go visit that mgsv spoiler thread at some point in their lives. emcee's in there writing fanfic again and it's great

Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games, amazing combat and it's so fucking weird which adds a lot of personality to the game which the setting lacks. The end game is so unexpected and crazy.

Game is filled with all kinds of little details as well. If you make your character short your lantern can dip into the water and extinguish and if you're too skinny flying enemies can grab you and fly away. If you're fat you'll weigh them down and force them to drop you but your stamina is lower. Incredibly underrated game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This sounds like someone who didn't play as Female Voice #1

I don't remember what voice I used. I don't remember much about the game, other than deciding I was going to finish it before sending it back to Gamefly and then getting within two missions from the end before I stopped giving a damn at all and put it in the envelope.

I still need to play Nier 1 before I can think about Nier 2.

Taro's games are usually self contained stories that share the same universe and connections, but Nier 1 is still worth playing because its great.

Not much to talk about with it. Ain't shown shit of it.

True enough, but most of us bought an xbone for Scalebound way before we even saw any gameplay because of the Platinum/Kamiya name on it.

justjim89

I could never get into Saints Row. I keep hearing how good the games are but I've tried getting into 3 multiple times. I've probably put 15 hours in and I still just don't see it. Dull open world stuff full of checkbox side mission types, awful shooting and combat and painfully tryhard humor.

Do folks only like it for the humor?

I like Saints Row for the humor. I think a lot of it is pretty lame; I never thought that the glamorous urban gang hook was very cool. But a gang of luchadors? That's so stupid it works. Unfortunately they didn't go very far with it, instead of them attacking with wrestling moves and stuff they just shoot at you like everybody else. But it still is a fresh coat of paint on a very worn down idea.

I could never get into Saints Row. I keep hearing how good the games are but I've tried getting into 3 multiple times. I've probably put 15 hours in and I still just don't see it. Dull open world stuff full of checkbox side mission types, awful shooting and combat and painfully tryhard humor.

I couldn't get into it either. I think it had some very clever ideas and was certainly over the top, but playing as a toilet just didn't tickle me the way it did some.

FStop7

Banned
Shadow of Mordor, while a great game, might not even make the top 5 open world game in 2015, let alone top 10 overall. I still think it is deserving of GOTY but that speaks less about SoM and more about what a shit year last year was

And that comes from someone who really liked the game and thinks that the nemesis system needs to be lifted by almost every open world game just like how batman's combat is in everything now.

In fairness, 2014 was a pretty shit year for games.

We're 3/4 into 2015 and it's already destroyed the last couple of years.

The humour in three didn't really do much for me, I felt that 2's humour hit harder because that game would at times take itself seriously which meant that when the game decided to be dumb it would hit harder because you had breaks between the stupidity,

ArjanN

Oh I made a lengthy post during the GOTY discussions on gaf as to why SR 3 was worse than SR 2 in nearly every way. But even with all that, I still think 3 is a decent but disappointing game.

4 is terrible and anyone who likes it is terrible.

SR3 is funnier than SR2, looks better and controls way better. Pretty much the only reason to prefer 2 over 3 is if you prefer a more serious tone.

I'll agree 4 was pretty much just a weaker retread of 3 though.

Sulik2

I like Saints Row for the humor. I think a lot of it is pretty lame; I never thought that the glamorous urban gang hook was very cool. But a gang of luchadors? That's so stupid it works. Unfortunately they didn't go very far with it, instead of them attacking with wrestling moves and stuff they just shoot at you like everybody else. But it still is a fresh coat of paint on a very worn down idea.

There was a wrestling match mission!

All this SR3 talk is making me want to reinstall and try playing as a Zombie. It will be so weird not being a Russian ex-patriot in SR3 though. SR3 will always be the GOTY in my heart from that year.

SR3 is a game with about 5 amazing missions and the rest feel like side missions / mini games from a GTA game.

That was so dumb, I don't get why they went with that over what they did in SR2. I understand that locking main story missions off until you've completed a certain number of side missions can suck, but using side missions in the place of main story missions while also cutting back on the number of unique main missions is also terrible.

that moment where you buy Peace Walker PSP for the Vita because you've got the MGSV itch so bad you want to take MGSV-lite around with you just to keep you cool

It seems they very much intentionally put the Big Boss MGS games on sale on PSN. They're going for that MGSV synergy.

Also note that Portable Ops is not only not on sale but they still haven't even bothered to make it officially Vita compatible. Kinda telling about how they feel about it lol

Tearaway Unfolded seems to be a completely new game, just played the prologue and it was completely different than the vita version. Please, please pick up this wonderful game! It's cheap and even if you dislike how Littlebigplanet controls you can take comfort in the fact that Tearaway is very tight and fluid.

Jeff using "lingua franca" in his review of Super Mario Maker is something only a person playing a shitload of Metal Gear right now would do.

Saints Row 2 > 4 > 3 = 1

Fevaweva

To me, Saints Row 3 is Fast Five whilst Saints Row 4 is Fast & Furious 6. The former is some kind of lightening in a bottle whilst the former tries to top it but something is lacking and it isn't as good.

jgminto

Saints Row 3 played and had a lot better writing than 2. But 2 had a much more interesting open world structure. Steelport is one of the most empty open world cities I have played in. Basically the entire map is generic and ugly too. With Stillwater, the districts were unique and after a while you could tell where you were almost instantly.

SR3 is a game with about 5 amazing missions and the rest feel like side missions / mini games from a GTA game.

SR2 is a game with 0 amazing missions with the need to play 10 shitty minigames to get to one of its many shitty ones. Also going from toxic waste tattoos to mercy killing gang members to locking a bosses' girlfriend in a trunk so he would accidental crush her was some serious bullshit in tone shift. Going from zany comic hijinks to some serious mob shit doesn't make a good character, especially if they go back to the zany shit when you start off the next enemy gangs missions.

I think SR3 was much funnier and far better written throughout. Maybe I need to replay it though because I don't remember the good parts of the humour being "lol random reference to pop culture" but more about jokes that were built up throughout the game. At the same time I thought GTA5 was a shit game with one amazing mission (the first heist) so maybe I just have terrible taste in open world games.

Whoa when did people flip on Saints Row 3?

Stating Saints Row 3 is better than 2 or that 2 is better than 3 is like the Gaf Bat-Signal for Datazord to show up and tell people how much better 2 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom