• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Rorie played enough of it to be annoyed by the party system. I don't remember how far in he actually got though.

Also a lazy google search suggests Austin has been a guest on two podcasts I've never heard of which talk about the game, but the synopses do not suggest he was part of those discussions.

justjim89

Pillars is so good. I'm probably not gonna beat but I'm between 15-20 hours in and I love it. I could never get into ID or BG2 because they're just so old and clunky, but PoE is superb.

Glad to see the guys aren't ignoring the many flaws in MGSV. That game is lucky the core gameplay loop is so good because the rest is incomplete, imbalanced, tone deaf bullshit.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What didn't he like about the party system?

And RIP Patrick, at least he tried new things. Although Austin fills that gap a bit now.

If I am remembering correctly, it was something about finding a companion that was the same class as he chose and not being able to customize the party members? Real fuzzy on it, it might have been a UPF conversation I was half-listening to.

Megasoum

Banned
I just realized that Google Music mixed up all my Led Zeppelin songs for some reason and this is pissing me off (for example when I want to listen to Black Dog I get No Quarter instead, etc)....

All the files on my PC are ok but Google fuck them up during the upload apparently. No idea how I could fix that...arghh

daydream

Banned
I'm not sure how the servers work in hots, I think there's a separate EU server and I'm in US. I don't believe you can play across regions.

You should try all of the free characters at least once to get a feel for them. There are enough heroes now that the rotation can be a while (and some like Lost Vikings aren't free as often as others...in fact I just looked it up and they have only been free once) and even if it's an AI game it is a lot different than the try mode.

I'd be down, battle net ID is sproutella #1947.

And I think you can change your server at launch or in the client settings somewhere - its an option right above the play button

yeah, you can switch servers. my valla progress on both is about the same so i don't mind joining you guys on the us server

daydream#2224 is mine

danm999

If I am remembering correctly, it was something about finding a companion that was the same class as he chose and not being able to customize the party members? Real fuzzy on it, it might have been a UPF conversation I was half-listening to.

From memory the game can make it a tad difficult early on depending on what class you pick since party members are preset.

However, you can totally hire customisable companions to fill any party gaps, and you also get plenty of companions pretty quickly to bridge that gap I felt.

Not gonna lie, it bugs me to no end that Jeff seems to fault MGS3 for Huey being a dumb contrivance. Huey isn't in MGS3.

Well... he sorta is. In MGS1 and MGS2, all we know about Otacon's dad is that he was born on the same day as Hiroshima and that he drowned in the family pool.

In MGS3, Granin is explaining his ideas about a "Metal Gear" and how because nobody in Russia will pay attention to them, he's going to send his papers to a friend of his in America, and the camera pans over a picture of Granin and a guy who looks similar to Otacon.

And if you call Sigint afterward, he'll first dismiss the idea of a walking tank as impractical, but then remember that there was at least one American scientist who proposed such an idea... and that said scientist was named "Emerson, or Heinrich, or something like that." (ie, Emmerich)

I remember even at the time MGS3 came out, the idea that Metal Gears were thought up and invented by someone else decades before the ones in the MSX games, and that Otacon's family was involved from the start, always felt like the worst kind of prequel "everybody has always been connected for decades" stuff.

Teddified

Witcher 3 is my GOTY right now, but It's the only game besides Gat out of hell I've played that came out this year.

Maybe before the year ends I'll be able to play the PC ver of Batman.

At this point I don't even care much about what they pick for GOTY. What makes it in the top 10 as a whole is more interesting. Bloodborne has a decent shot, but will Witcher 3 even rank? What sort of reasoning will they come up with to drop it? Stuff like that.

justjim89

Well... he sorta is. In MGS1 and MGS2, all we know about Otacon's dad is that he was born on the same day as Hiroshima and that he drowned in the family pool.

In MGS3, Granin is explaining his ideas about a "Metal Gear" and how because nobody in Russia will pay attention to them, he's going to send his papers to a friend of his in America, and the camera pans over a picture of Granin and a guy who looks similar to Otacon.

And if you call Sigint afterward, he'll first dismiss the idea of a walking tank as impractical, but then remember that there was at least one American scientist who proposed such an idea... and that said scientist was named "Emerson, or Heinrich, or something like that." (ie, Emmerich)

I remember even at the time MGS3 came out, the idea that Metal Gears were thought up and invented by someone else decades before the ones in the MSX games, and that Otacon's family was involved from the start, always felt like the worst kind of prequel "everybody has always been connected for decades" stuff.

I've played MGS3 like 15 times, and I've never really noticed that. Huh.

In my defense, I don't think Jeff knows that either.

justjim89

Ummmm... context?

tumblr_nudqh4691z1tqzn8go1_500.jpg

Witcher 3 is my GOTY right now, but It's the only game besides Gat out of hell I've played that came out this year.

Maybe before the year ends I'll be able to play the PC ver of Batman.

I think once I finish MGSV I'll try to hop into Arkham Knight. Didn't they already release the patch that fixed the framerate lock? That was my only real concern, although I haven't actually tried to run the game yet.

What I've played of MGSV, though, Witcher 3 is definitely still my GOTY.

Edit: I love that Jeff and Austin seem to get along so well.

Mind telling what is "otherwise?"

I'll put it behind a spoiler, no story spoilers but it's about structure of the missions-
Basically after finishing mission 31, you unlock a few repeats of missions on higher difficulties. Gamespot complained and said 'Oh you have to do these to unlock the important story missions in Chapter 2'(sic), but you can actually do the side ops and they'll pop. I think it's unknown whether it's time spent in a mission, whether you can repeat missions(I don't know atleast on the latter), or free roam(Unlikely for roaming).

I'll put it behind a spoiler, no story spoilers but it's about structure of the missions-
Basically after finishing mission 31, you unlock a few repeats of missions on higher difficulties. Gamespot complained and said 'Oh you have to do these to unlock the important story missions in Chapter 2'(sic), but you can actually do the side ops and they'll pop. I think it's unknown whether it's time spent in a mission, whether you can repeat missions(I don't know atleast on the latter), or free roam(Unlikely for roaming).

Good to know, thanks.

Teddified

I think once I finish MGSV I'll try to hop into Arkham Knight. Didn't they already release the patch that fixed the framerate lock? That was my only real concern, although I haven't actually tried to run the game yet.

Maybe I'm not too sure, but I wont touch it until they start selling it again and actually work to get the DLC out too.

I enjoyed Arkham Knight but now that the new game rush is over it's become apparent that the game had less than five real missions, almost all open world bullshit. Which is still fun given the combat and maneuverability but disappointing otherwise.

Beat it on the PC at 4K at launch though.

I enjoyed Arkham Knight but now that the new game rush is over it's become apparent that the game had less than five real missions, almost all open world bullshit. Which is still fun given the combat and maneuverability but disappointing otherwise.

Beat it on the PC at 4K at launch though.

Yeah, there's very little motivation for me to play through it besides "oh it might come up in GOTY stuff."

Looking forward, I can't think of much else that I'm really excited to play other than Fallout 4. Just Cause 3 maybe? I forget what else is coming out this year, MGSV dominated my brain for so long.

Unrelated: say what you want about Riot games and League of Legends, but they consistently put out some pretty sweet cinematics.

Edit: Just saw that the Marty O'Donnel news got touched on a little bit in the podcast. I'll have to give it a listen, but man, that was a pretty massive reveal about the sort of stuff that's going on at Bungie post Activision.

justjim89

GBWest might be the great contender, though. Depends how Vinny feels on it and if Austin/Alex play it.

I think Austin and Alex in particular might be less willing to overlook the gross sexist nonsense in terms of GOTY talk.

It should be Witcher and it won't be Witcher because only Dan has finished The Witcher.

I think Austin and Alex in particular might be less willing to overlook the gross sexist nonsense in terms of GOTY talk.

It should be Witcher and it won't be Witcher because only Dan has finished The Witcher.

It's hard to say that it should be the Witcher, but it's kind of disappointing that there is a likelihood that the discussion won't be a heated debate between MGSV and Witcher for GOTY. MGSV will get it in a landslide and Witcher might in the 5-10 spot.

Edit: Oh my god I missed the news but the binding of isaac afterbirth got a release date. hell yeah.

never forget the injustice rebirth faced in the GOTY proceedings.

Patryn

I've thought about it more, and I honestly think the only challengers to MGSV will be Rocket League and Mario Maker.

But is Quiet really a big enough 'problem' that would negate the rest of the game and how much fun it is?

daydream

Banned
I've thought about it more, and I honestly think the only challengers to MGSV will be Rocket League and Mario Maker.

doubt it, jeff wasn't super hot on rocket league and the mgsv proponents will shoot down mario maker as "ultimately just a level maker"

heck, i don't even know who those mario maker proponents will be in that debate, jeff could go either way, austin maybe? dan's clearly siding with metal gear, kojima could package bubsy 3d in a box that said metal gear 6 (a mainline title, anyway) and count on dan to praise it to high heavens

i feel like the vague reverence that brad and jeff have for the mgs series combined with an xcom-like base-building aspect (which, without having listened to the podcast, is generally a type of progress structure they enjoy, i think) and dan's enthusiasm give that game very good chances to land on top. beast is really the wildcard that could bring about some surprises but yeah, i dunno. alex is a bit of a house of cards, austin probably doesn't care that much to dwell on details and vinny hasn't had that much time to really dive into a lot of games.

anyway, that's my prognosis at the moment. as always, i don't really care what the result will be. i just wanna win my avatar bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom