• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

You really need to complete the game before you talk like that. Seriously.

I don't think the bad or incomplete ending will hurt it that much. Brad has already put in 70+ hours while thinking it's amazing. The ending is just a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Story wise no one except Dan gives a damn about that nonsense.

hamchan

There's also the part where the game is literally incomplete and leaves major plot threads unresolved. Plus grinding for resources.

I went through the whole game without having to grind for anything. You only have to do it if you want to max your base and get trophies.

justjim89

I went through the whole game without having to grind for anything. You only have to do it if you want to max your base and get trophies.

I'm currently in the mid 20's scouring every area for fuel because there's not enough to expand my base, FOB, or a lot of research items. But even after I find big containers of fuel I have to wait for it to process and refine, which would go faster if I could upgrade my base more.

Journalists unload full clip into Kojima's importance in Metal Gear.

And yeah, resources will definitely hold back your base expansion, and thus your department levels, research, and developments.

hamchan

I'm currently in the mid 20's scouring every area for fuel because there's not enough to expand my base, FOB, or a lot of research items. But even after I find big containers of fuel I have to wait for it to process and refine, which would go faster if I could upgrade my base more.

Why? It's not stopping you from doing more missions or sideops. Just leave it maxed for now.

Jintor

yeah you can grind if you want but there's not much point if the draw is the story for you, since that stuff will unlock based on sideops (probably) in chapter 2

jgminto

There's no need to grind throughout the story of MGSV, you'll end up with basically everything you'd want by that point if you're fultoning guys/resources in missions and side ops. It would be like grinding in an RPG that's designed to ramp up naturally with your predicted level.

daydream

Banned
boy, that hero debate in the bombcast thread sure is something, huh

aaanyway, there's a mega man ql coming up so if we're lucky, we're gonna get about half a page of discussion about a series that actually mattered out of that

super fighting robot mega man after beating the apocryphal cqc man, taking it to volgin:

tumblr_m8kazo9XZ31qhzy1mo1_400.gif

Gameplay is king unless you're doing super indepth art critique, which Giant Bomb clearly is not, so MGSV, Bloodborne, or something like that should win.

Just like Bayonetta 2 should have won last year.

BigBoss

You really need to complete the game before you talk like that. Seriously.

Yup, the ending killed any interest I had of ever revisiting MGSV even though I put in over 70 hours of incredible gameplay. The ending is simply atrocious and ruined the rest of the game for me.

Jintor

Gameplay is king unless you're doing super indepth art critique, which Giant Bomb clearly is not, so MGSV, Bloodborne, or something like that should win.

Just like Bayonetta 2 should have won last year.

i can't think of a better playing game last year off the top of my head, but Bayo 2 was a gameplay disappointment compared to Bayo. (Nerfed weaves mainly because of the way umbran climax operated)

i can't think of a better playing game last year off the top of my head, but Bayo 2 was a gameplay disappointment compared to Bayo. (Nerfed weaves mainly because of the way umbran climax operated)

I'll take nerfed weaves over instant fail qtes, bizarre backtracking to get medals, and endless vehicle levels.

Witcher 3 is still my game of the year but I am having a ton of fun with MGS V so far. I've been really taking my time, doing all the side ops and what not just because the stealth is really really satisfying. It's disappointing to hear that it apparently goes down hill in the second half. So far, storywise not a whole lot has happened for me.
Nabbing Huey was the most significant event so far. Quiet is still locked in the brig and I just finished my first Africa mission.
At least my expectations should be in the right place. Rocket League and Pillars of Eternity would be the other stand out games for me this year but I stopped playing Pillars about 20 hours in due to some bugs that needed patched and right when I got back to it, MGS V came out, which I didn't expect to spend so much time playing.

killroy87

I bet it's Just Cause 3

Nah, I can't believe that after hearing them on this Bombcast. MGSV does way too much right. It refines open world tropes that other games could only dream to do, manages to uphold the tradition of Kokima batshit insanity, AND is the end of one of gaming;s greatest legacies, which counts for something.

The the utter insanity of Just Cause will be a big hit, but MGS has just as much utter insanity, and a more interesting brand of it to boot.

Betting against MGSV for GOTY at this point is a very risky wager. Witcher is definitely second, and Fallout almost has no chance.

kai3345

Banned
Did Brad Spoilermaker strike?

YEP

Brad said "hey we aren't going to talk about story spoilers" like 4 times before dropping a pretty big story spoiler.

But to be fair Jeff did say just as many times "Yo, we are going to talk about the game" so I probably should have listened.

koshiro's cool and all, but his stuff was never quite the same after the Genesis

if you want someone who had dope shit all throughout the generations, you want some of that jun chikuma

that's all not core combat

CORE COMBAT IS ALL

mind you I spent probably like 50 hours in Bayo 1 just playing Angel Slayer OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN

It stops me from core combating. Because a lava wave qte got me and then a rocket went forever so I never want to refight Jeanne.

But both games are great, so it's like not a big deal, I guess.

Bacon

Quick someone do a count of how many times the word 'spoiler' has been used in this thread. My bet is its in the thousands by now

danm999

Only just recovered the
Honey Bee
in MGSV so all this talk of the ending (which I'm guessing I'm light years away from) being super polarising is very interesting.

I'm liking it a lot so far but it's going to be hard for it to knock Witcher 3, Cities Skylines or Life is Strange off the top of my imagined GOTY list.

Only just recovered the
Honey Bee
in MGSV so all this talk of the ending (which I'm guessing I'm light years away from) being super polarising is very interesting.

I'm liking it a lot so far but it's going to be hard for it to knock Witcher 3, Cities Skylines or Life is Strange off the top of my imagined GOTY list.

LiS is gonna fly super hard under the radar for the GB list when its such an awesome game. At least deserves a nomination or spot on best story.

Phediuk

Any good contenders for Most Disappointing Game so far this year?

I suspect Arkham Knight will be nominated, but I don't think it's disappointing enough to win the category.

There's been some obvious AAA stinkers like The Order but everyone saw that coming from a mile away.

justjim89

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize if it seems like I'm being overly hard on MGSV. I'm having a hell of a time playing it. But just before release I was spoiled on the big twist and since then I've intermittently gone back in and spoiled myself on more. Some I look forward to seeing, some I don't. But overall I'm just more frustrated and disappointed that I got spoiled and the nature of the spoilers themselves, and finding out what was cut from the game. So now I'm taking it out unduly on the game itself. Which is kinda fucked up and stupid, I guess.

Working all this out in my head. Typing helped.

yami4ct

I suspect Arkham Knight will be nominated, but I don't think it's disappointing enough to win the category.

Gat outta Hell, Hotline Miami 2 and The Order are all contenders that I've seen mentioned. I don't think people had expectations for either The Order or GoH, so Hotline seems like the better bet.

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize if it seems like I'm being overly hard on MGSV. I'm having a hell of a time playing it. But just before release I was spoiled on the big twist and since then I've intermittently gone back in and spoiled myself on more. Some I look forward to seeing, some I don't. But overall I'm just more frustrated and disappointed that I got spoiled and the nature of the spoilers themselves, and finding out what was cut from the game. So now I'm taking it out unduly on the game itself. Which is kinda fucked up and stupid, I guess.

Working all this out in my head. Typing helped.

Its all cool, spoilers really suck, especially for something like Metal Gear where the nonsensical crazy shit is the best part. I'd also be really frustrated if that happened to me as well.

There's been some obvious AAA stinkers like The Order but everyone saw that coming from a mile away.

Since SotFS is out I have an excuse put Dark Souls 2 in my "fuck this game is so disappointing but I can't stop playing it" category for two years in a row.

Phediuk

Gat outta Hell, Hotline Miami 2 and The Order are all contenders that I've seen mentioned. I don't think people had expectations for either The Order or GoH, so Hotline seems like the better bet.

I literally forgot Gat Out of Hell and HM2 came out this year, holy shit. Those fell off the radar reeeeeaally fast.

Lunar FC

I was planning on picking up Hotline during the winter sale. What are peoples issues with it?

Phediuk

And speaking of "games I forgot came out this year", remember Evolve? I recall hat getting some "Best of E3" awards in 2014, but I don't think the GB crew ever cared much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom