• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for me it failed narratively because it did not make me reflect on what it meant for the characters or what it meant for the story but sort of took me out and question why it was put in (and the answer I suspect is its the most fucked up thing Kojima could think of).

And when I'm having those sorts of thoughts it's kind of failed it's job as a piece of plot for me.

Eh, for Chico it meant what being a 'man' was. Skull Face was mocking Chico for trying to save Paz from himself. And what is being a man? Being a tough man, being able to sleep with woman, etc...I saw it as Skull Face using it as a tool to mock and humiliate Chico and Paz.

yami4ct

I think for me it failed narratively because it did not make me reflect on what it meant for the characters or what it meant for the story but sort of took me out and question why it was put in (and the answer I suspect is its the most fucked up thing Kojima could think of).

And when I'm having those sorts of thoughts it's kind of failed it's job as a piece of plot for me.

And this is my other big problem with it. The only reason rape is in there is because Kojima thought "What's the most fucked up thing I could do to this lady?" It both doesn't work narratively and has awful extra societal implications of treating rape as something purely for shock value, a problem in media in general.

yami4ct

Video games would be preferable, but I wouldn't mind listening to other stuff.

Ehhhh but thanks! :)

Most of the decent video game podcasts you've already named. Honestly, game podcasts are usually dedicated to a specific game or just bad. If you're into old stuff, maybe check out Retronauts. It's a pretty awesome look back at old stuff and their place in history.

In non-game stuff I have a pretty long list of stuff I listen to. Adventure Zone, Sawbones, This American Life, The Moth, Oh No Ross and Carrie, The /Filmcast, Hardcore History, We Have Concerns and Planet Money are all favorites of mine.

Noaloha

I was playing the witcher 3 during that episode and i distinctly remember having to pause because I was laughing too hard.
I was on a bus, jiggling with tears streaming down my face as i attempted to muffle myself. Stopped it for five minutes to calm down and it just got worse the second attempt.

edit: forgot quote sorry

danm999

Eh, for Chico it meant what being a 'man' was. Skull Face was mocking Chico for trying to save Paz from himself. And what is being a man? Being a tough man, being able to sleep with woman, etc...I saw it as Skull Face using it as a tool to mock and humiliate Chico and Paz.

Yes I got the sense that it was about telling us who Skull Face is and the sort of things he might do, but I don't necessarily think that's an effective way to develop an antagonist, at least for me.

However I really will have to wait until I finish Phantom Pain before I feel like I can say whether Skull Face works or not as a Metal Gear antagonist.

Completely forgot about this one! Thanks

Most of the decent video game podcasts you've already named. Honestly, game podcasts are usually dedicated to a specific game or just bad. If you're into old stuff, maybe check out Retronauts. It's a pretty awesome look back at old stuff and their place in history.

In non-game stuff I have a pretty long list of stuff I listen to. Adventure Zone, Sawbones, This American Life, The Moth, Oh No Ross and Carrie, The /Filmcast, Hardcore History, We Have Concerns and Planet Money are all favorites of mine.

Thanks! Will definitely check them out.

Jintor

I was on a bus, jiggling with tears streaming down my face as i attempted to muffle myself. Stopped it for five minutes to calm down and it just got worse the second attempt.

edit: forgot quote sorry

last week's liveshow they recorded from... seattle I think? Had some absolutely astounding audience questions

Noaloha

last week's liveshow they recorded from... seattle I think? Had some absolutely astounding audience questions

During the ad section of the latest episode, Griffin's searching the internet for Jeff Probst dick pics and interjects during the Harrysdotcom portion with a wonderfully sincere "W.. wow! That's a lotta dicks!"

Had me rolling.

fleck0

Nice! Actually a decent email unlike that creeper email asking about their office change.

I thought it was a bit weird Jeff called that out as creepy. The only reason we all knew about the move was because they tweeted about it and (I think) mentioned it on a podcast.

Lelcar

I thought it was a bit weird Jeff called that out as creepy. The only reason we all knew about the move was because they tweeted about it and (I think) mentioned it on a podcast.

Another reason I thought Jeff's reaction was weird is because they're kind of famous, everything they say is going to be part of the fandom. I guess Jeff took it as a personal question though.

Myggen

Yeah, I didn't really see that as creepy at all. Danny has talked about it several times, and they've talked about it on the Bombcast. I think the question was a genuine one out of curiosity more than anything else. We've speculated about it in this very thread, mainly because we expect a bit of a content drought from GBWest around that time.

Yeah, I didn't really see that as creepy at all. Danny has talked about it several times, and they've talked about it on the Bombcast. I think the question was a genuine one out of curiosity more than anything else. We've speculated about it in this very thread, mainly because we expect a bit of a content drought from GBWest around that time.
I don't think Jeff has ever been around when it's been mentioned so it makes plenty of sense that he would find it creepy.

Lelcar

Brad somehow has a level of love and excitement for MGSV that surpasses even Dan. Brad's totally going to fight harder than anyone for MGSV during GOTY. crazy world.

Myggen

I don't think Jeff has ever been around when it's been mentioned so it makes plenty of sense that he would find it creepy.

I'm pretty sure he was on the Bombcast a while back where they talked about getting a new podcast studio because they were moving. He might not remember it though.

Heimbeck

Banned
Brad somehow has a level of love and excitement for MGSV that surpasses even Dan. Brad's totally going to fight harder than anyone for MGSV during GOTY. crazy world.

Hearing the bombcast I think MGS V is definitely going to be number 1, unless something else comes out to take it's place.

I don't think there's going to be any fight. Motherfucker's game of the year by the sound of things this week.

also what's so cool about just cause 3

doesn't seem like anything more than more just cause

oti

Banned
I don't think there's going to be any fight. Motherfucker's game of the year by the sound of things this week.

Nein.
Super Mario Maker #1.
Splatoon close second.

B E L I E V E
I N
D A
H O O P G A W D

Great MGSV discussion on the podcast this week. It definitely sounds like a lock for GOTY at this point, the amount of praise that they were heaping on it makes it sound like it will be incredibly hard to top.

Heimbeck

Banned
Great MGSV discussion on the podcast this week. It definitely sounds like a lock for GOTY at this point, the amount of praise that they were heaping on it makes it sound like it will be incredibly hard to top.

Well Jeff did give GTA V 5 stars but then didn't lift a finger to keep it in the top 10.

It's unlikely that everyone will go cold on MGS though.

Myggen

JC3 is close to the GOTY stuff which is always a plus, and by all accounts it sounds like an incredible version of JC2. Jeff has been raving about the demo he got to play, and the game sounds like it's made for Vinny and Dan. Brad was a big fan of JC2. If anything's gonna top MGSV for them I think it's gonna be JC3.

Waterpiks/Waterflossers are hilarious. I bought one today and it is shooting water into my mouth like a maniac.

I just thought I would share.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You know what would be really interesting, and there's enough people for it now: a separate goty for each coast

I think it would be great to see the conclusions the two crews come to, and the differences there might be.

strafer

You know what would be really interesting, and there's enough people for it now: a separate goty for each coast

I think it would be great to see the conclusions the two crews come to, and the differences there might be.

but has vinny played enough games?

Myggen

I much prefer a single GOTY list and podcast. It would also mean that we probably get the East crew in SF for a week, which is always a good thing.

Zaph

Waterpiks/Waterflossers are hilarious. I bought one today and it is shooting water into my mouth like a maniac.

I just thought I would share.

They're great until the spray accidentally hits the back of your throat. You gag, briefly feel bad for your ex-partners, then get back to futuristic dental hygiene.

I can't believe I haven't even finished 15 episodes in mgsv and I'm nearly 30 hours in.

This game is gonna take drew half a year to finish

Also, I need a play date where vinny tries to capture the legendary bear.

oti

Banned

No. Brad pissing off everyone with Dota/Destiny talk is one of the best parts of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom