• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on picking up Hotline during the winter sale. What are peoples issues with it?

I still really like it but not as much as 1. It feels like there are way cheaper level designs and deaths, and personally I didn't think the soundtrack was as good. Still worth checking out if you liked the first though.

Arkham Knight is up there with MGS5 for my favorite game of the year so far, surprised people were disappointed by it.

Then again I liked Hotline Miami 2 and didn't care about The Witcher 3, so I'm just weird I guess.

killroy87

Any good contenders for Most Disappointing Game so far this year?

I suspect Arkham Knight will be nominated, but I don't think it's disappointing enough to win the category.

There's been some obvious AAA stinkers like The Order but everyone saw that coming from a mile away.

I can't imagine Arkham being nominated for that, let alone winning (unless they refer specifically to the PC version).

The Order seems like a definite nominee. Evolve could get on there too.

yami4ct

I was planning on picking up Hotline during the winter sale. What are peoples issues with it?

Basically that the level designs are way too big and the encounters really incentive gunplay, an aspect most people really didn't like as much as the melee stuff in the first. It loses the bite sized, easy retry feel of the first. It crosses the line from being fun punishing like the first to just feeling kind of unfair.

And speaking of "games I forgot came out this year", remember Evolve? I recall hat getting some "Best of E3" awards in 2014, but I don't think the GB crew ever cared much about it.

Evolve is such a cool concept. It could've been awesome. I don't think it's even the microtransaction stuff that people like to lament that killed it. The game just wasn't meaty enough to hold an audience. I hope that kind of asymmetrical multiplayer does catch on in some form someday.

Lunar FC

I still really like it but not as much as 1. It feels like there are way cheaper level designs and deaths, and personally I didn't think the soundtrack was as good. Still worth checking out if you liked the first though.

Haven't played it, but people I talk to say the level design is worse than 1 and mixed things on the story. Soundtrack is fucking amazing though apparently.

Basically that the level designs are way too big and the encounters really incentive gunplay, an aspect most people really didn't like as much as the melee stuff in the first. It loses the bite sized, easy retry feel of the first. It crosses the line from being fun punishing like the first to just feeling kind of unfair.

Heard about the larger levels which does kind of worry me. But I have no interest in actually following the story and the soundtrack being at least comparable to the first game means I'm still in.

yami4ct

I can't imagine Arkham being nominated for that, let alone winning (unless they refer specifically to the PC version).

The Order seems like a definite nominee. Evolve could get on there too.

It's a weird year for most disappointing as games pretty much met expectations. The crew never expected The Order to be good, so I doubt that'll make the list. Evolve could, but once again I don't think the crew cared that much. Arkham Knight is one of the games that they were actually hyped for that they didn't super dig, and it's got all the PC problems. I could easily see it make the list.

The other game I can definitely see is Broken Age. Expectations were really high after the KS and people liked Act 1. From what little Brad talked about it, and my and general reactions, Act 2 was a definite let down. Could definitely see it making the list.

If we're saying The Order could make Most Disappointing, so could Mad Max. I think that has the same problems in terms of the list. No one really expected it to be great, so now that it's just OK, it's not really a disappointment.

killroy87

It's a weird year for most disappointing as games pretty much met expectations. The crew never expected The Order to be good, so I doubt that'll make the list. Evolve could, but once again I don't think the crew cared that much. Arkham Knight is one of the games that they were actually hyped for that they didn't super dig, and it's got all the PC problems. I could easily see it make the list.

The other game I can definitely see is Broken Age. Expectations were really high after the KS and people liked Act 1. From what little Brad talked about it, and my and general reactions, Act 2 was a definite let down. Could definitely see it making the list.

If we're saying The Order could make Most Disappointing, so could Mad Max. I think that has the same problems in terms of the list. No one really expected it to be great, so now that it's just OK, it's not really a disappointment.

Kirby Rainbow Curse is a good one, too. The crew loved Canvas Curse.

yami4ct

Kirby Rainbow Curse is a good one, too. The crew loved Canvas Curse.

Oh shit, that did come this year. Would definitely make my list. Canvas Curse was so good and Rainbow's artstyle was amazing. Too bad the game turned out crap.

For me, Rainbow Curse (Win), Hotline Miami 2 and Broken Age looks like a good list.

danm999

Broken Age and Arkham Knight seem likely at this point.

Though if Just Cause 3 or Fallout 4 end up being shitshows they might fly through given how late they're coming.

KingKong

I dont see how Hotline Miami 2 is that disappointing, to me its like Dark Souls 2 where it does some things better, some things worse but just isnt as great as the original

Yknow, I just realized, ever since Vice City I always shoot the moon in games where I can do such a thing just because shooting it in vice city with a sniper rifle changed the size.

yami4ct

The Mario puzzle and dragon game has to be a contender for some handheld/mobile category.

As a huge mobile PAD game, I can't get into the handheld version as much as I'd like. They did a pretty fantastic job translating the game from F2P to a traditional structure while keeping a lot of what's great, but the game just lacks the depth of the mobile version. PAD is amazing wherever you can get it, but I just kept going back to the phone version instead.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, though. That's a hell of a game.

I'm curious if the Pacman game will last long enough to be a contender. I could see fatigue setting in to the point it gets ruled out, even if they really enjoyed the time they spent with it.

Teddified

I'm curious if the Pacman game will last long enough to be a contender. I could see fatigue setting in to the point it gets ruled out, even if they really enjoyed the time they spent with it.

Yeah Crossy Road Fever was going strong during last years GOTY podcast I do wonder if Pacman will be the same way or if another game will come out and cause a fervor. Or maybe no mobile game will hit like that did.

Edit: I thought Crossy Road won something, maybe I was mistaken. Maybe I just remember all the talk about it.

yami4ct

The "Only handheld game we've played because we don't actually pay attention to handheld games" award is surely in the bag for that game.

As a massive handheld game fan, this year has been pretty sparse. There's been some really great stuff (Monster Hunter 4 U, Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon and Untold 2, Majora's Mask, Danganronpa). It's just not been as nearly as good as the past 2-3 years.

The "Only handheld game we've played because we don't actually pay attention to handheld games" award is surely in the bag for that game.

If there's one game Jason will fall on the sword for, its Monster Hunter. At least until next year when SFV drops and he pushes like no other for that to be GOTY.

As a massive handheld game fan, this year has been pretty sparse. There's been some really great stuff (Monster Hunter 4 U, Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon and Untold 2, Majora's Mask, Danganronpa). It's just not been as nearly as good as the past 2-3 years.

Sadly its been pretty slow, but hopefully Fire Emblem Fates, Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Zero Escape 3 bring it back next year.

Quentyn

I wonder if Tony Hawk 5 is a candidate for Most Disappointing. I remember early on they were very excited for the idea of a new Tony Hawk on new consoles, but after that the first screenshots came out and it didn't really looked that great.They probably don't have that high expectations for that anymore. Also it isn't out yet, so who knows maybe it will be good after all.

I also wonder where Mortal Kombat X will end up. Earlier this year I was sure that it would make the Top 5, just because they all love Mortal Kombat so much. Now I am not even sure if it will make the Top 10.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's the #yearofthevitarhythmgames if you don't mind importing.

My favorite category of the year is always best moment and I can't think of many that I would personally have on my list aside from simply getting to skellige in Witcher 3. MGSV doesn't seem super heavy on best moments except for maybe "first time you do x thing" sort of stuff.

yami4ct

If there's one game Jason will fall on the sword for, its Monster Hunter. At least until next year when SFV drops and he pushes like no other for that to be GOTY.

Sadly its been pretty slow, but hopefully Fire Emblem Fates, Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Zero Escape 3 bring it back next year.

We're also probably get AA6, a new mainline Pokemon, Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter X, and maybe (hopefully) Etrian Odyssey V by the end of next year, so it's shaping up well so far.

If the handheld game fight winds up being Dan and Majora's Mask vs Jason and Monster Hunter, we could get a real fun one. Think Dan will save all the fight he has for Metal Gear, though.

It's the #yearofthevitarhythmgames if you don't mind importing.

I'm actually not a big rhythm game guy, so not even that has really appealed to me. At least the games we did get were really long.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love rhythm games and goddamn I'm drowning at the amount coming this year. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Also if you love romancing hot anime dudes the vita is the place to be!

Jintor

i see you a lot in the mgsv thread so this was a very risky click

that ending remains one of my favorite things but not for that reason

aha, sorry, but I couldn't figure out a way to indicate what the spoiler was about without totally giving away the spoiler. lol.

it's not MGS related friends

My favorite category of the year is always best moment and I can't think of many that I would personally have on my list aside from simply getting to skellige in Witcher 3. MGSV doesn't seem super heavy on best moments except for maybe "first time you do x thing" sort of stuff.

there's been some good emergent moments in MGSV for me. Probably chief among them rocketing around a map trying to take out convoys of armoured vehicles in a walker

convo

I do wonder if Klepek will make his return on the game-of-the-year-cast, like they predicted.Would even find just an article from him on the site great for old times sake.

I do wonder if Klepek will make his return on the game-of-the-year-cast, like they predicted.Would even find just an article from him on the site great for old times sake.

I don't think I'd be able to bear him talking about Vagina Bombs and how Quiet dresses. It's like....he likes to discount a game because of minor shit like that. Shits petty.

Jintor

I don't think I'd be able to bear him talking about Vagina Bombs and how Quiet dresses. It's like....he likes to discount a game because of minor shit like that. Shits petty.

People ascribe differing levels of important to different things. It's not petty for him. (It does jive weirdly with his love of horror exploitation tho)

Noaloha

I pretty much expect Mario Maker to win GOTY. It's already a love-in at this early stage, and I have no doubt that the game will provide a steady trickle of fantastic levels once the internet at large gets its hand on it. Assuming the game doesn't completely shit the bed with regards to user content discovery, I imagine it's a game that the crew will dip into more or less daily in their personal time for the rest of the year.

yami4ct

Discounting MGSV because of Quiet would definitely be silly. It's a problem that should be discussed, but it doesn't kill the game.

I don't think not liking Ground Zeroes because of the gross story parts of it is petty, though. Shit is really, really bad. It definitely actively ruined the game for me, particularly because the game is so sleight. I'm glad that The Phantom Pain didn't turn out to be super heavy on that stuff, at least not where I'm at.

People ascribe differing levels of important to different things. It's not petty for him. (It does jive weirdly with his love of horror exploitation tho)

Yeah...he likes horror but it does contrast with him hating other violence against women in media.

Discounting MGSV because of Quiet would definitely be silly. It's a problem that should be discussed, but it doesn't kill the game.

I don't think not liking Ground Zeroes because of the gross story parts of it is petty, though. Shit is really, really bad. It definitely actively ruined the game for me, particularly because the game is so sleight. I'm glad that The Phantom Pain didn't turn out to be super heavy on that stuff, at least not where I'm at.

Eh, GZ showed what it needed to show. It needed to show a villain that tortured people, and it did just that.

yami4ct

Yeah...he likes horror but it does contrast with him hating other violence against women in media.

Eh, GZ showed what it needed to show. It needed to show a villain that tortured people, and it did just that.

I'm not sure I want to get in this argument, but you can do that without dehumanizing Paz. They tear her down as a character for nothing but progressing a (male) protagonist and antagonist. I get what it's trying to do, but the way it does it is just wrongheaded and gross.

Lijik

Heard about the larger levels which does kind of worry me. But I have no interest in actually following the story and the soundtrack being at least comparable to the first game means I'm still in.

Its something you gotta get used to, but once it clicks it winds up making it feel like the original on overdrive. The only level I dont like all that much is an early one thats all glass walls

I'm not sure I want to get in this argument, but you can do that without dehumanizing Paz. They tear her down as a character for nothing but progressing a (male) protagonist and antagonist. I get what it's trying to do, but the way it does it is just wrongheaded and gross.

I mean, it showed Chico pretty fucked up as well. It straight up kills Chico with no chance of redemption, since he's the one who got BB into a mess.

And that's what torture does, it tears down a person until they break. In this case, it broke her down so much that not only did she break, but she was used to try and kill Big Boss. I mean, sure, she could've ended up frolicking with butterflies, but that wouldn't progress the story. Someone had to have an unhappy ending. And for that..it was everyone involved.

yami4ct

I mean, it showed Chico pretty fucked up as well. It straight up kills Chico with no chance of redemption, since he's the one who got BB into a mess.

And that's what torture does, it tears down a person until they break. In this case, it broke her down so much that not only did she break, but she was used to try and kill Big Boss. I mean, sure, she could've ended up frolicking with butterflies, but that wouldn't progress the story. Someone had to have an unhappy ending. And for that..it was everyone involved.

The problem isn't that Paz had a unhappy ending. The problem is the game treats her rape and torture as a plot device. I'm not saying you can't use sexual violence as a plot point, but you need to treat it with great respect and care. It can't just be just a throwaway thing. GZ doesn't even come close to treating it with that respect. It uses it for shock and to build up an antagonist and throws the relevant characters away. That's not OK in my book.

Bombcast was short due to skipping 75% of it, any recommendations for podcasts? I've listened to last week's 8-4, Tested, and Beastcast.

Please, no IGN/Kinda/SBF 😊

The problem isn't that Paz had a unhappy ending. The problem is the game treats her rape and torture as a plot device. I'm not saying you can't use sexual violence as a plot point, but you need to treat it with great respect and care. It can't just be just a throwaway thing. GZ doesn't even come close to treating it with that respect. It uses it for shock and to build up an antagonist and throws the relevant characters away. That's not OK in my book.

I mean...how much respect and care can you give it for someone who was blown up 5 minutes after you save her? You're basically asking that 'rape' not be used as a plot thread(And not a main one at that, since it was through an optional tape we learnt what both Chico and Paz had to endure, Chico who is usually left out of this conversation but suffers the same Rape.) unless the spend time talking about it. I would agree with you if it was the driving point of GZ, if it was on the forefront of the cutscenes of her rape. But it was an optional tape that probably not alot of people heard themselves.

yami4ct

I mean...how much respect and care can you give it for someone who was blown up 5 minutes after you save her? You're basically asking that 'rape' not be used as a plot thread(And not a main one at that, since it was through an optional tape we learnt what both Chico and Paz had to endure, Chico who is usually left out of this conversation but suffers the same Rape.) unless the spend time talking about it. I would agree with you if it was the driving point of GZ, if it was on the forefront of the cutscenes of her rape. But it was an optional tape that probably not alot of people heard themselves.

In GZ's, yes I am asking that rape not be used as a plot thread. The fact that it's a weird off to the side thing makes it even worse. If you can't devote the time and respect it deserves, than don't do it. That's kind of the whole problem.

In GZ's, yes I am asking that rape not be used as a plot thread. The fact that it's a weird off to the side thing makes it even worse. If you can't devote the time and respect it deserves, than don't do it. That's kind of the whole problem.

And that'd be horrible. In a game where you kill freely, where you can murder everyone with no regard, but to say rape is off limits as a story device?

.....ok then.

danm999

I think for me it failed narratively because it did not make me reflect on what it meant for the characters or what it meant for the story but sort of took me out and question why it was put in (and the answer I suspect is its the most fucked up thing Kojima could think of).

And when I'm having those sorts of thoughts it's kind of failed it's job as a piece of plot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom