• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

Danny O'Dwyer is playing through Fallout 3 gunless and clothesless.

Both suggested character names of Pat McGroin and Fanny O'Dwyer are outstanding.

(if anyone's wondering why he isn't playing the superior New Vegas, he did some of that around the time of the Fallout 4 announcement)

Speaking of Danny, GS put up this video of weird MGS bosses and is Danny misprononcing Kojima or have I been saying it wrong for 17 years. Also I can't believe he refers to Solidus as Solid Snakes dad, MGSV could be prettty confusing for him.

Has there been any news on a new episode of Danswers?
Been quite a while since the last episode (I know Danny's been busy with traveling and stuff).

They said on twitter last week they are recording one with Jason, I guess it will be up on Monday.

Teddified

I just name my characters in those games Theodore since I'm pretty bad at coming up with names if there is no default name or random generator.

xhJY6H5.png

daydream

Banned
here's a wild idea: start featuring jeff backstagealar on qls and live shows and complete his transformation into the beast version of danny

Jabronium

I'm sure we'll hear something about that fairly soon.

Cool. Obviously I just got done with the Pathfinder stuff and man, that was hilarious. Other than the D&D stuff from earlier this year, have they done anything similar? I know about Austin on Friends at the Table, etc, but not sure on the others.

Myggen

Cool. Obviously I just got done with the Pathfinder stuff and man, that was hilarious. Other than the D&D stuff from earlier this year, have they done anything similar? I know about Austin on Friends at the Table, etc, but not sure on the others.

Nope, it began with the Pathfinder stuff when Vinny was there. But check out the Avalon Unplugged if you haven't already!

Draxyle

Neo Member
Man oh man, Drew and Dan watching the MGSV trailers has made me more excited for the game than anything. That game is going to be fucking bonkers.

Yea, I completely forgot all the insane stuff that happens in them. Gives me hope that this isn't just a high-res Peace Walker.

popo

I had a revelation last night watching the show about the GB crew's family names being of European descent. Then it realized that it wasn't actually that many of them.

Not that surprising. The majority of multi generational white American families are from European decent. A relatively young country settled by immigrants.

This is great: The complete story of Metal Gear - just in time for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

The Portable Ops stuff seemed way more important than Dan said.

PO has a few plot points that are really important to establish the patriots (remember it was released a year before mgs4 so that shit was still unknown) but pretty much everything Big Boss does on his adventure is real dumb. Young Campbell and Frank Yeager make zero sense. Don't fit with the established story and have basically been ignored ever since.

This is great: The complete story of Metal Gear - just in time for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

The reason Portable Ops is treated as unimportant is that Peace Walker, which was written by Kojima while PO wasn't, almost entirely acts as if the biggest revelations in PO were never made.

-Snake doesn't have a fortune and a huge list of resources given to him by Gene; he and Kaz and MSF are fucking broke to the point that Kaz knowingly makes a deal with Cipher to get resources. In fact, Gene and the concept of Army's Heaven are never mentioned in any of the tapes. FOX-HOUND is brought up in a tape as Big Boss's creation, but the timeline at the end of MGS3 establishes that Big Boss created FOX-HOUND prior to 1974 anyway.

-Sokolov surviving and making the first Metal Gear with Granin's plans, supplied to him by the CIA? Never brought up. There are tapes in which Big Boss and Huey speak about Granin, Sokolov, and the history of Metal Gear in which this is apparently never considered relevant; Sokolov is simply the creator of the Shagohod, and Granin is Huey's friend. In fact, Granin's original plans were given to Huey, by way of Coldman. The name Metal Gear ZEKE is suggested because Granin used the phrase "Metal Gear" to describe his idea; the supposed existence of Sokolov's Metal Gear RAXA and ICB Metal Gear aren't ever touched upon.

-One of Peace Walker's other bigger twists was that Operation Snake Eater was an even bigger setup than Big Boss previously believed. Volgin firing the Davy Crockett nuke wasn't just an unforeseen event that forced their hands, as EVA claimed at the end of MGS3, but actually something planned out by "a brilliant strategist." The CIA wanted to set the whole thing up specifically to assassinate The Boss. Fast forward to Peace Walker, and EVA is sending Snake tapes about The Boss's past that continues to reflect that the running theme that The Boss was more of a pawn that the CIA and politicians were able to blame out of jealousy (foreshadowing MGS3) than the idea that they were actively trying to kill her. Furthermore, in Peace Walker Big Boss outright meets Hot Coldman, the CIA director responsible for planning Operation Snake Eater... and he doesn't seem to react that much outside of calling him a pencil-pusher. Portable Ops just said that this guy deliberately planned The Boss's death all along, and now Big Boss is acting like he's just some clueless bureaucrat?

The only time I can think of where an original plot point of Portable Ops is directly referenced (I'm not counting the whole "Zero helped set up the Patriots" post-game thing since that's like 99% most likely something they added to tease MGS4) is that EVA/Big Mama does say in her giant ass info dump Act 3 cutscene that the CIA was trying to eliminate The Boss out of fear... but that's about it, and that's vague enough to mean a lot of things.

In fact, the only unambiguous, undeniable reference to Portable Ops I can think of is at the very beginning to Peace Walker when Miller says that they can "finally leave all that crap from San Heironymo behind." Miller hadn't even met Big Boss back then, so it sounds way more like an author trying to make his opinion known.

I'm excited to listen to a new powerbombcast finally! But man, if it's just them saying "I dunno man, it's all terrible" through the whole thing, I'm probably going to stop listening. I feel like that's all they say is how much they hate it and call it out as the worst thing ever. Sorry, but I DO enjoy watching wrestling, and I don't really watch any of the TV show stuff since I just don't have the time and only the PPVs and random stuff on the Network, but if all they are going to talk about is how much they hate it, one of the reasons I subscribed to the site, is going to be one of the features I will not listen to anymore.

What is much there though since its usually right?

Hell even Dan was somewhat questioning it and you know how he fucking loves that thing.

At least they will mention whatever bright spots in WWE (no matter how small they may be) and outside of that (Lucha Underground sound's fucking awesome based on the descriptions said over the course of this series).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Came across this video from GT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngySxUOj-VI

How accurate is it?

These videos are remarkably close in duration. I guess it's now scientifically proven that the Metal Gear story is pretty much 12 minutes long. Even if the Irish girl talks blazingly fast.

Danny said on the Fallout stream that we'll find out about Quiet tomorrow...whatever that means (he said a little tiny bit more about it, but I won't repeat it here).

Time for a blackout for those so inclined.

MGS V review embargo is up tomorrow aint it?

That also means stories on sites complaining on about bigotry, sexisism, and everything else will likely appear too.

...all these stories will casually spoil the game's story, as they care more about hits than anything else.

KingKong

That also means stories on sites complaining on about bigotry, sexisism, and everything else will likely appear too.

...all these stories will casually spoil the game's story, as they care more about hits than anything else.

...ok?

That's an awfully big leap to go on based on nothing.

daydream

Banned
I don't have a musical bone in my body, so I fear it'll be too complicated for me.

hm, i dunno, i feel like samantha and the game itself have done a really good job communicating that it's really not about proficiency and that the result will always be interesting

from what i've played of it during various stages of development (haven't had the time to really dive into it since the last update), i can absolutely confirm that and i'm far from being a composer or anything

i really think it's a game for friends and creators of music alike and going for the polar opposite of something like korg ds-10 while also bearing the potential to be that if the player desires it

Critics will analyze the themes and content of a series that has always focused on story, seems like a step towards real critical discussion!

At the same time MGS embargos are always really strict so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't allowed to mention a lot of things. But, like with anything you can always ignore the reviews and wait to play it yourself if it's something you already know you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom