• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of Jeff, but man is he a dick about spoilers. Listening to the latest cast now and he's giving story details about mgs5 that seemingly are quite far into the game, without any warning. I'm still on the fence about the game and want to hear their updated impressions, but I can't even skip the spoiler parts because they're just thrown out randomly in the discussion. So u have the choice between not hearing what they think of the game, or spoiling myself.

When the others point it out he just dismisses it and says: "we're talking about the game". Why is he such an asshole about this? It's a huge, long game that's been out for less than a week. In what universe is this even remotely OK? Even most people who bought it at launch probably haven't finished it.

I get quite pissed at their GOTY-cast spoiler policy as well,most people don't have gaming as their day job and haven't been able to finish all the games they are interested from that given year. But at least then the games have usually been out for a while.

Some of this might be because of Jeffs general disdain for the quality of most video game narratives. But it's incredibly arrogant of him to think that he can make that choice for all his listeners by spoiling important twists and story bits.

Spoilers about gameplay unlocks and the like don't matter to me, and I understand that they might have to discuss some basic things to be able to have a flow in the conversation. But any major story spoilers should be segmented, and we should at least be warned first. Preferably it would come at the end of the discussion, or even podcast.

skynidas

Banned
I'm a big fan of Jeff, but man is he a dick about spoilers. Listening to the latest cast now and he's giving story details about mgs5 that seemingly are quite far into the game, without any warning. I'm still on the fence about the game and want to hear their updated impressions, but I can't even skip the spoiler parts because they're just thrown out randomly in the discussion. So u have the choice between not hearing what they think of the game, or spoiling myself.

When the others point it out he just dismisses it and says: "we're talking about the game". Why is he such an asshole about this? It's a huge, long game that's been out for less than a week. In what universe is this even remotely OK? Even most people who bought it at launch probably haven't finished it.

I get quite pissed at their GOTY-cast spoiler policy as well,most people don't have gaming as their day job and haven't been able to finish all the games they are interested from that given year. But at least then the games have usually been out for a while.

Some of this might be because of Jeffs general disdain for the quality of most video game narratives. But it's incredibly arrogant of him to think that he can make that choice for all his listeners by spoiling important twists and story bits.

Spoilers about gameplay unlocks and the like don't matter to me, and I understand that they might have to discuss some basic things to be able to have a flow in the conversation. But any major story spoilers should be segmented, and we should at least be warned first. Preferably it would come at the end of the discussion, or even podcast.

just don't listen to this episode. that's what i did, i will listen to it when i've finished the game, even if that is in more than a month.

tchocky

They said at the beginning that they would be talking about all aspects of the game and said how far they had each played with Brad and Jason being very near the end so if you had not got that far you should have stopped listening.

Myggen

They gave an explicit spoiler warning that they would talk freely about everything except the ending of the game before they started that discussion, and provided timestamps in the podcast notes. Treat it as a semi-spoilercast and skip that part, and if you want you can just go back and listen to it when you're done with the game.

That discussion was also pretty light on proper spoilers. Brad said the name of a character that's in one of the trailers and is basically just an easter egg in the game, and they talked about specifics in certain missions. Story spoilers were pretty much non-existent.

When the description is literally "75% of this podcast is going to be about Metal Gear" and they have a discussion about spoilers right at the start, it's your fault you exposed yourself to all that.

I like how you phrase this all as a Jeff problem too. Brad is infinitely worse about spoiling without warning.

b07d04ebaef3939718975c90a951f638.png

It's right fucking there man. They spell it out for you before you even start listening.

You might not like that they want to talk freely about the games. But you can't say they didn't warn you.

But they didn't. Jeff just spoiled something, and then after said "we're talking about the game". And the larger problem is that isn't segmented in any way. You either need warnings every time so you can skip forward, or everything spoilery needs to be segmented so you can skip the whole spoiler part, but still listen to the general discussion.

This is a thing that has happened many times

before, and it passes me off. To me it really shows how much Jeff takes us for granted, and how little regard he has for our enjoyment he has for our listening pleasure and enjoyment of the games he spoils.

Edit:I phrase it as a Jeff problem because he's always the one that pushes ahead when the others are reluctant to spoil.

And the fact that they spoiled something in the beginning (I didn't even catch it) is no excuse. That doesn't mean that their spoiling is any less unnecessary. Blaming me for not turning it off is kind of victim blaming.

And the fact that they announce that they were going to talk about Mgs5 was the thing that made me exited to listen to it. A Ronnie other podcasts have also announced the same, without having a single big spoiler in their discussion. DLC and gamers with jobs for example,and several local to my country.

Edit 2: So I didn't see that warning. I just listen to the show. Should I really have to read descriptions of the content I'm about to consume before I actually listen? What about a warning in the podcast itself?

And my point still stands. The thing you would do if you care about your listeners would be to segment the spoilers, so that people who actually value the crew's opinion can get their input on the game without being spoiled. It's common sense.

oti

Banned
Guys, watching this week's UPF... Brad looks so indifferent about Mario Maker. It's his strategy for GOTY.

Mario Maker vs. MGS will be this year's battle.
Just Cause 3 will be #3.

Myggen

But they didn't. Jeff just spoiled something, and then after said "we're talking about the game". And the larger problem is that isn't segmented in any way. You either need warnings every time so you can skip forward, or everything spoilery needs to be segmented so you can skip the whole spoiler part, but still listen to the general discussion.

This is a thing that has happened many times

before, and it passes me off. To me it really shows how much Jeff takes us for granted, and how little regard he has for our enjoyment he has for our listening pleasure and enjoyment of the games he spoils.

Edit:I phrase it as a Jeff problem because he's always the one that pushes ahead when the others are reluctant to spoil.

And the fact that they spoiled something in the beginning (I didn't even catch it) is no excuse. That doesn't mean that their spoiling is any less unnecessary. Blaming me for not turning it off is kind of victim blaming.

And the fact that they announce that they were going to talk about Mgs5 was the thing that made me exited to listen to it. A Ronnie other podcasts have also announced the same, without having a single big spoiler in their discussion. DLC and gamers with jobs for example,and several local to my country.

I listened to the start of the podcast now, and before they begin the discussion (at about the 6 minute mark) Jeff says: "We're gonna talk about Metal Gear now, we're gonna talk about the specifics of Metal Gear. So you might wanna check the site, we'll post a time when we're gonna stop talking about Metal Gear in the shownotes or something." They then go on to say that everything except the ending is free to be discussed.

So again, it's right there. If you somehow missed that warning I'm not sure if that's on them.

As for discussing a game with or without spoilers, I think discussions in general are a lot better when you don't have to dance around spoilers, especially with a game like Metal Gear Solid V where some people consider fucking weapon upgrades to be spoilers. And as long as a spoiler discussion is clearly marked as such, you don't have to listen to it and can go back to it after finishing the thing yourself. I don't think it matters if they talk about it 1 week after or 1 year after the game is out, it's up to the listener to decide if they want to "risk" listening to it.

edit: And again, that warning was in the podcast itself. You didn't have to read the description.

FluxWaveZ

No one's actually going to talk about Persona 5 during GotY if that ends up coming out this year, huh... Maybe it'll be able to surprise snag a category like Guilty Gear Xrd did last year.

oti

Banned
No one's actually going to talk about Persona 5 during GotY if that ends up coming out this year, huh... Maybe it'll be able to surprise snag a category like Guilty Gear Xrd did last year.

WHEN WILL IT COME OUT THOUGH

I wouldn't want to rush through Persona 5 just to talk about it on the GOTY podcast.

The ending of Metal Gear Scanlon 2 is so good. The latter half of the episodes just fly by; real edge-of-the-seat stuff.

I'm taken aback by how good that series is, maybe because I haven't played the OG MGS games at all. It's also a rare chance to see Dan's true self, free from the chains of wrestling references and his troll persona.
When the description is literally "75% of this podcast is going to be about Metal Gear" and they have a discussion about spoilers right at the start, it's your fault you exposed yourself to all that.

I like how you phrase this all as a Jeff problem too. Brad is infinitely worse about spoiling without warning.

b07d04ebaef3939718975c90a951f638.png

It's right fucking there man. They spell it out for you before you even start listening.

Brad's the worst at it because he'll go, "There's this really cool thing that is a huuuugge spoiler but it's so cool! Should I tell you? I dunno... [and here is where he explains everything anyways] It's like Dan talking about easter eggs in Metal Gear Scanlon, only for every game ever.

I can't even recall any major story spoilers they dropped.
To explain why it isn't even possible is a spoiler in and of itself.

Myggen

I can't even recall any major story spoilers they dropped.

The only thing that can be considered a proper spoiler is Brad mentioning
Paz being on the platform when they talked about how the game treats women
. But that was in one of the trailers... Other than that it was some specifics about certain missions, but no story stuff.

Went back and listened to the podcast and as Myggen said, they gave a warning that they were going to talk about metal gear before getting into it and said they'd include a time on the site for when the spoilers would stop. If you got spoiled it's your own fault

Seems unlikely, I can see it coming up for best style and other categories that don't require them to beat the game but I doubt anyone will play enough of it for it to be around in the actual top 10 discussion.

I listened to the start of the podcast now, and before they begin the discussion (at about the 6 minute mark) Jeff says: "We're gonna talk about Metal Gear now, we're gonna talk about the specifics of Metal Gear. So you might wanna check the site, we'll post a time when we're gonna stop talking about Metal Gear in the shownotes or something." They then go on to say that everything except the ending is free to be discussed.

So again, it's right there. If you somehow missed that warning I'm not sure if that's on them.

Allright, so I was mistaken about that. There was a warning in the podcast that I missed, so I retract that part of my complaint in this particular case (although Jeff has spoiled story specifics before in other games, with no warning. Which is a total asshole thing to do, no matter how you spin it.)
My larger point still stands though. I am unsure if I want to buy the game or not. I (for some reason) care what the Giantbomb staff think of the game. So giving me a warning that there could be spoilers from minute 6 to 70 (or whatever their entire segment on the game I believe) it was is not helpful if I actually want to hear their impressions about the game.

And I agree, spoiler discussions can be awesome. But if they really cared about their listener, they could at least give some summarizing thoughts about what they think about the game, for people like me, and then go on to spoil as much as they want. This is where the warning should come. This is how most podcasts do it. And usually they wait with the spoiler talk until the game has been out for a while, but that's beside the point.

The way they've done it now is that the only people who can actually listen any of their Metal Gear segment either has to already have bought and played enough of the game to not fear spoilers, or people who don't care about the story at all. Which seems stupid, and not very considerate to their listeners.

Would love people's input on this. And preferably people will actually consider whether this is something GB could improve on, and not just automatically defend every thing they do. There's always room for improvement.

EDIT: I kinda agree that Brad is bad at the spoiling stuff too. But I've always felt that Jeff was the most inconsiderate about.

Jintor

i agree if you're in that specific demo then this episode sucked

i wasn't, so it was a good podcast, but i sympathise.

they like it a lot. you should probably buy it if you think you'll like it.

What the hell are confirmation names?
A fun new name you choose from a Saint as part of confirming one's faith and commitment to the church (confirmation because when you are baptised as a baby, you don't have a say in matters)

It mostly happens around the age of 10 or 11 - more than old enough to decide if religion is wacky enough for you!

Myggen

Allright, so I was mistaken about that. There was a warning in the podcast that I missed, so I retract that part of my complaint in this particular case (although Jeff has spoiled story specifics before in other games, with no warning. Which is a total asshole thing to do, no matter how you spin it.)
My larger point still stands though. I am unsure if I want to buy the game or not. I (for some reason) care what the Giantbomb staff think of the game. So giving me a warning that there could be spoilers from minute 6 to 70 (or whatever their entire segment on the game I believe) it was is not helpful if I actually want to hear their impressions about the game.

And I agree, spoiler discussions can be awesome. But if they really cared about their listener, they could at least give some summarizing thoughts about what they think about the game, for people like me, and then go on to spoil as much as they want. This is where the warning should come. This is how most podcasts do it. And usually they wait with the spoiler talk until the game has been out for a while, but that's beside the point.

The way they've done it now is that the only people who can actually listen any of their Metal Gear segment either has to already have bought and played enough of the game to not fear spoilers, or people who don't care about the story at all. Which seems stupid, and not very considerate to their listeners.

Would love people's input on this. And preferably people will actually consider whether this is something GB could improve on, and not just automatically defend every thing they do. There's always room for improvement.

EDIT: I kinda agree that Brad is bad at the spoiling stuff too. But I've always felt that Jeff was the most inconsiderate about.

I agree that they could've done something like that. But I don't think it's about them not caring about the audience or anything like that, I just think they really wanted to talk freely about the game. But yeah, they could've done something like that.

The spoiler-free discussion on the latest UPF had Brad declaring that it's in his opinion the best action game ever made and Dan pretty much agrees. Jeff also seems to love the game (at least the gameplay part), same with Jason. It'll probably be GB's GOTY, at least a top 3 game. Following these guys for over 10 years I've rarely heard them praise a game in the way they praise MGSV. It'll be interesting to hear what the GBEast folks have to say about it. I know Alex isn't a fan of the franchise, but this is so different from the other console MGS games that I don't really think past enjoyment of the franchise matters all that much.

oti

Banned
That Snake on Snake fight on UPF was the DUMBEST thing and if that piece of trash wins GOTY I'M OUT!

Can't wait to play it myself but money's tight right now

Megasoum

Banned
I think that the examples given in here this morning are really crazy...

However...I kinda agree that Jeff complete dismissal of anything spoiler related in general rubs me the wrong way.

He said it multiple times in the past that he doesn't give a shit about spoilers so we shouldn't either.

I'm not one of those crazies about no spoilers and going dark months before release and all that crap but I think there's a middle ground between the two extremes.

Jeff's complaints about there being no consequences in Forza 6 for crashing into opponents has been a complaint he has had for every racing game. I don't understand the corner he has painted himself into of not wanting to play with damage enabled but still wanting consequence?

oti

Banned
Here's something I was wondering, is there an easy way to download everything on their site. Like all QLs, all UPFs?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really like that they talk so openly about Metal Gear. This whole discussion would've been awful if they held back. Especially with 5, where even gameplay unlocks could be considered spoilers, there would be very little left to talk about.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you even need to have every giantbomb video on your hard drive?

Like Vinny said: "I got shit to do. I need to get in and then get out."

What happens when the Internet dies? I need to be able to play a random video from 2008 without the website.

Gotta plan ahead.

I just like having them all there for whatever reason. I have loads of spare HDDs so 6tb is nothing.

oti

Banned

Right now I'm downloading Star Trek on Steam (hey man listen, I know it's a bad game but I really want to play something couch coop OK so jeez let me breathe) and my Chromecast with the random QL I chose to watch is stuttering it's the WORST why can't we have nice things.

This is how most podcasts do it.

I'm sorry, but when nearly the entire podcast is dedicated to a particular game, a game that all the members have been excited about pre-launch and have spoken positively about prior to launch, use your brain and figure it's probably a positive discussion. Failing that, you can go to Twitter or Tumblr to ask them directly, or hell just read this topic and sort it out yourself.

Also all the podcasts I've listened to that have brought up Metal Gear this week have done the "there may be spoilers while we talk about it, thanos," thing before even talking about MGSV. So I don't know what your "most podcasts" qualifier refers to.

68or5J0.gif

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I haven't got to the fob stuff on pc yet but is it totally fucked like they said? Cause it seems pretty fun.

tuxfool

Banned
Right now I'm downloading Star Trek on Steam (hey man listen, I know it's a bad game but I really want to play something couch coop OK so jeez let me breathe) and my Chromecast with the random QL I chose to watch is stuttering it's the WORST why can't we have nice things.

That is why steam has the option to limit bandwidth. Otherwise it eats everything it can get.

Christ, I don't think Ive seen people bitch about anything as much as people bitch about spoilers in MGSV, a game, by all accounts, has barley any story.These same people go on video game forums and listen to video game podcasts where it is a subjet that is likely to come up.

The time people spent listening to clearly demarcated spoiler Bombcasts or crying about it later could be much better spent doing something else.

Something like MGS V.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Spoiler-fearing people listen to spoiler-tagged podcast on spoiler-tagged websites.

Times tags in the podcast description enchance and regulate their abilities.

I mean, Jeff's not wrong about spoilers. Artificially limiting discussion for the sake of not spoiling people when people have huge personal variances in what constitutes a spoiler anyways makes the whole issue seem moot. And keep in mind that spoilers aren't just plot stuff--RPS had a good article about 'mechanical spoilers' which are not something you really think about but can still totally ruin games. (i.e. spoiling how mechanics in a game work, which can be a large part of some games' magic; such as Dark Souls, most roguelikes, or, going back a bit, Metal Gear Solid 2.)

The only good way to avoid spoilers is going on a total media blackout; no trailers, no footage, nor anything else. It's a real all-or-nothing situation due to the varying sensitivity everyone has on spoilers.
Christ, I don't think Ive seen people bitch about anything as much as people bitch about spoilers in MGSV, a game, by all accounts, has barley any story.These same people go on video game forums and listen to video game podcasts where it is a subjet that is likely to come up.

While true, you've gotta realise that Metal Gear Solid games are renowned for their stories and wacky gameplay easter eggs, so spoiling them is the worst thing you can do to a fan. That said, fans would already have the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom