• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i looked up all the until dawn endings and ways to save the teens and (major spoilers)
alex is going to get them all killed at the end by failing the controller holding prompts, isn't he

There's a good shot of it, yeah.
On my first playthrough, I made it through pretty much every one of those except for one in the last scene, and got Mike killed as a result and ruined my perfect run. I also love that he basically just doomed Chris to death based on an accidental analog stick move. The rest of this is going to be so amazing, and so bloody.

strafer

God, i'm 100% sure Austin reads the chat and knows what the fuck is going to happen.

His head is down all the time.

Not cool Austin.

Xater

I think it's funny how many people don't understand the mechanic of holding still in Until Dawn. I did not fail it a single time, you really just need to hold still. There is no need to correct anything.

Response to your late game spoilers:
Didn't he have Chris shoot himself meaning he didn't doom him?

I dunno, all the walkthroughs I've read say that (more game spoilers)
you can't even point the gun at Ashley or she'll lock Chris outside and leave him to his death, but maybe changing your mind might save him.

I dunno, all the walkthroughs I've read say that (more game spoilers)
you can't even point the gun at Ashley or she'll lock Chris outside and leave him to his death, but maybe changing your mind might save him.
That's definitely not true.
I changed my mind and avoided said fate.

Until Dawn takes David Cage's style and applies it in such a better way. Watching the failed QTE events from Heavy Rain is so funny, especially when it results in characters failing at the most mundane tasks.

strafer

That was a damn good Episode 2. Lots of mindfucks.
Rami Malek (Josh) really brought it there in the end. Really crazy performance.

Also, damn, no Part 3 next week :( maybe ;(

def sim

I think it's funny how many people don't understand the mechanic of holding still in Until Dawn. I did not fail it a single time, you really just need to hold still. There is no need to correct anything.

Hah yeah. Trying to correct it is just going to make it worse.

I just placed my controller on my desk because whatever.

I wonder if they'll do some sort of MGSV spoilercast now, Dan, Brad and Jason will probably be finished by now and Jeff must be close.

Brad has to have finished if he posted the review up. I'd really like to hear their thoughts on the ending.

All in all, MGSV is a really open sandbox. It might be too open in a way. It's game that is what you make of it, and that has to be respected for sure. brad sees enemies with helmets and says "okay, back to the toolbox," but I just say "okay, I have to aim for their stupid dumb faces now."

I never saw a reason to deviate from the path I was on in that game as far as what I was using, and I ended up having a disappointing experience.

ce837ba259d4c32ba8bd21bd4dd41273.png

Brad has to have finished if he posted the review up. I'd really like to hear their thoughts on the ending.

All in all, MGSV is a really open sandbox. It might be too open in a way. It's game that is what you make of it, and that has to be respected for sure. brad sees enemies with helmets and says "okay, back to the toolbox," but I just say "okay, I have to aim for their stupid dumb faces now."

I never saw a reason to deviate from the path I was on in that game as far as what I was using, and I ended up having a disappointing experience.

Yeah not sure why I said Brad should be finished considering that I just finished reading his review.

The game has really clicked with me from a gameplay perspective, I've put in such a ridiculous amount of time into it and I'm still just on episode 20 because I've been doing all the side ops and even just over taking random check points and what not.

I have very little investment in the story, though. Even where I'm at, it doesn't even feel like part of the continuity of Metal Gear because Big Boss and Ocelot seem like completely different characters than past entries. If the ending is terrible, it won't bother me so much because in my mind, it's already been broken off from the rest of the series. However, as someone that was very invested in the Mass Effect universe, I fully understand why a terrible ending can taint not only the game but the series, in the eyes of a big fan.

Phediuk

So I'm listening to the 2008 GOTY deliberations again.

Remember when Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was seriously considered for GOTY?

tuxfool

Banned

I did my experiments, but for all the adaptability the game claims, you really don't have to change your strategy much.

I have very little investment in the story, though. Even where I'm at, it doesn't even feel like part of the continuity of Metal Gear because Big Boss and Ocelot seem like completely different characters than past entries. If the ending is terrible, it won't bother me so much because in my mind, it's already been broken off from the rest of the series. However, as someone that was very invested in the Mass Effect universe, I fully understand why a terrible ending can taint not only the game but the series, in the eyes of a big fan.

There is a plot, but it has been cut to pieces to a degree that it really doesn't gel. As a consequence there isn't anything to allow a person to get too attached to anything in the plot.

Phediuk

Also, it's weird to hear Jeff talk GTA4 as his GOTY when Burnout Paradise later seemed to become his favorite game of all time.

I did my experiments, but for all the adaptability the game claims, you really don't have to change your strategy much.

I mean it's just a tough place to be. You don't want to make players change TOO much, since then they'll get pissed off. It's not like the helmets didn't change anything at all, they changed how cautious I would be in any given situation, but I never completely changed the way I went about a mission. It was always "alright, better silence all my stuff so I can just shoot everyone."

That's even after I forced myself to not take the tranq gun so I had to actually work for it whenever I wanted to extract someone.

It's so weird to me seeing them so insanely positive on the game. I love aspects of it too, but I find it really hard to overlook the flaws.

I'm pretty sure they explained this on the Bombcast where the game has some blatant flaws. There is shit in MGSV PP that if put in any other game people would be downright pissed off. But despite those flaws MGSV PP as a complete package is a really damn good game. I share that same view. The timed developments pissed me off in Freedom Wars, and that game also has long gameplay engagements and it's also a portable game so that stuff should fit perfectly but it doesn't. But in MGSV PP I'm not that bothered by it for whatever reason.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean it's just a tough place to be. You don't want to make players change TOO much, since then they'll get pissed off. It's not like the helmets didn't change anything at all, they changed how cautious I would be in any given situation, but I never completely changed the way I went about a mission. It was always "alright, better silence all my stuff so I can just shoot everyone."

That's even after I forced myself to not take the tranq gun so I had to actually work for it whenever I wanted to extract someone.

I just stealthed my way mostly and knocked people out with chokes, but yeah armor and helmets made the most difference. However at the same time if this system wasn't pointed out to me I would have just thought the changes were due to game and mission progression. In side-ops after doing x number of extract dude missions I got bored and just laid into people with grenade launchers and rifles.

someone submitted an ask to jeff's tumblr that was basically "yo someone should put shadow of mordor's nemesis system into MGSV"

now THAT'S a game i'd call my goty.

The game has really clicked with me from a gameplay perspective, I've put in such a ridiculous amount of time into it and I'm still just on episode 20 because I've been doing all the side ops and even just over taking random check points and what not.

I agree. In a sense I'm thankful for 4, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes dulling my interest in the story. Not only for brushing off the developments, losing a compulsion rushing me to the next story beat freed me to explore the gameplay.

Lingitiz

What? I didn't doubt for an instant that, regardless of who reviewed it, it would receive 5 stars. And it deserves it.

I'm pretty sure they explained this on the Bombcast where the game has some blatant flaws. There is shit in MGSV PP that if put in any other game people would be downright pissed off. But despite those flaws MGSV PP as a complete package is a really damn good game. I share that same view. The timed developments pissed me off in Freedom Wars, and that game also has long gameplay engagements and it's also a portable game so that stuff should fit perfectly but it doesn't. But in MGSV PP I'm not that bothered by it for whatever reason.

I think the second half of the game is downright unfinished and weak as hell. It really soured me on the overall experience. When someone says they "didn't want it to end" after playing it for 80 hours i'm just thinking..."how?" It's so damn repetitive and the reuse of content is embarrassing. They stretch the two areas they built as thinly as possible.

Game was a 5/5 for me in the early goings, but the way the self contained story resolved itself along with the entire second half dragged down the game a lot for me. I'm very surprised that the back half of the game didn't burn them out like I'm seeing a lot in the spoiler thread and from my own experience.

The open world is garbage in MGSV and just hurts the game overall. It would be way better if it just dropped you into a sandbox like Ground Zeroes and let you tackle the level however you'd like.

99% of open worlds are shit, though.

When I think back to how they breath life into MGSV's open world, I'm just going to think of Ocelot's tape where he explains how he got his "Shalashaska" nickname.

It's a little harder to give life to an open world game based entirely around combat in real life countries, but man.

BearPawB

Banned
The open world is garbage in MGSV and just hurts the game overall. It would be way better if it just dropped you into a sandbox like Ground Zeroes and let you tackle the level however you'd like.

99% of open worlds are shit, though.

I think its fine. I don't think an open world needs an event or something to do every 20 feet.
MGSV creates a believable environment. And those aren't always super exciting.

Despite the fact that Phantom Pain's open world is pretty empty between bases it never really bothered me for some reason, I think part of it is just due to fatigue from Ubisoft style open world games.

tuxfool

Banned
I think its fine. I don't think an open world needs an event or something to do every 20 feet.
MGSV creates a believable environment. And those aren't always super exciting.

It doesn't need an event, but it does need geography and some semblance of life outside of mission areas, something to see if not do. Otherwise why have it there, In the end I just did ACC->Helicopter (sigh)->mission->ACC, even for side-ops.

It doesn't need an event, but it does need geography and some semblance of life outside of mission areas, something to see if not do. Otherwise why have it there, In the end I just did ACC->Helicopter (sigh)->mission->ACC, even for side-ops.

There's the option of riding D-horse or calling in a jeep, but it just seemed so inefficient, especially since you have to abandon them at some point so you can actually sneak into the base.

There's the fast travel system, but more often than not I feel like that just puts you right in the middle of the base and doesn't give you the chance to properly approach and evaluate it.

Lingitiz

The only time the open world stuff in MGSV really matters is when targets are on the move from outpost to outpost. Otherwise it doesn't serve much of a purpose. They would have been better suited by building multiple Ground Zeroes sized locations instead of filling it with so much empty space and making vehicles a large component of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom