• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just finished MGSV.
Fuck that twist. Way to fuck up the last Metal Gear game. :|

Has Dan finished the story yet? I'm curious how they're going to handle MGScanlon.

Not caring about most of the MGSV hype cycle really saved me not getting my hopes up that much.

Plus as someone who played Portable Ops and Peace Walker I already knew not to fall for the
"Missing Link / Fall of Big Boss"
teasing they have been doing for a decade in trailers.

Megasoum

Banned
You guys know what's fucking great about all those music matching services (like iTunes Match or Google Play)?

I just found out tonight that the mp3 for one of Sum 41's song I've had on my PC for the last 15 years was missing the last minute of the song... Like I always tought that the song was ending abruptly but it kinda fitted with the song...

I was doing my jogging and heard the rest of the song Crazy Amanda Bunkface for the very first time in my life even if I must have listened to that song hundreds of time.... lmao

My issue is that it shits all over 30 years of Metal Gear lore. Plus, we never get to see Big Boss descend into evil.

This is exactly what I love about it. Every game in the series ruins something about the previous games and makes everything a greater convoluted mess. The perfect way to end it all is to ruin everything.

This is exactly what I love about it. Every game in the series ruins something about the previous games and makes everything a greater convoluted mess. The perfect way to end it all is to ruin everything.

lkBf7jb.gif

hamchan

Exactly. MGS4 already ruined 20 years of Metal Gear and Peace Walker ruined 25 years of Metal Gear. MGSV is just being consistent with its ruinous powers.

I have many opinions about mgsv, most of which are too spoilery to discuss here.

I will say that I hope that metal gear scanlon includes a lot of tape listening, because some of the infodumps in the tapes are ridiculous.

Not really surprised at MGSV's score. They were all really high on it on the podcast.

I think the second half of the game is downright unfinished and weak as hell. It really soured me on the overall experience. When someone says they "didn't want it to end" after playing it for 80 hours i'm just thinking..."how?" It's so damn repetitive and the reuse of content is embarrassing. They stretch the two areas they built as thinly as possible.

Game was a 5/5 for me in the early goings, but the way the self contained story resolved itself along with the entire second half dragged down the game a lot for me. I'm very surprised that the back half of the game didn't burn them out like I'm seeing a lot in the spoiler thread and from my own experience.

You're willing to forgive a lot of game's issues when the gameplay is as fantastic as PP's is. And I will never understand the repetitive comment. The game has a ridiculous amount of tools and ways to approach any situation that its really more the player's fault for sticking to the same tactics for every mission and becoming bored, instead of trying something new. Like Jeff said on the bombcast, he just said "fuck it" and started shooting everything and the game rewarded him for being good at it by giving him the S ranking.

FStop7

Banned
Anyone legitimately upset about this should calm down (and maybe rethink about their relationship with Nintendo, depending on how upset they are). It's developer-made custom content meant to show off what the creation system can do. RedLynx did the same exact thing with Tetris and the Hangar from Tony Hawk 2 in Trials Evolution, and there were no riots there.

They're clearly not out to eat Nintendo's lunch on this one.

(they're out to eat activision's lunch, and so is nintendo)

If it were a fan thing, sure. But coming from the Infinity Team and the lack of attribution... it's kind of skeevy, tbh.

BearPawB

Banned
I really can't decide if I want to buy Mario Maker.
I worry that after awhile all the levels will start to feel "samey".

Or that the system for finding levels is just bad.

I don't know. I worry I am going to plop $60 down, make a few levels no one will ever actually try. And play a bunch of poorly made mario levels and go "welp"

Also, great review Brad. Pretty much have the same opinions.

Rewatching MG scanlan 2 and playing V and boy.... The MGSV original soundtrack is so forgettable.

I gotta listen to it for myself outside of the game. Music felt a lot more in the background compared to past metal gear games so I didn't really notice much of it. Sins of the Father and Quiet's Theme were the only ones that really stuck out when I played the game.

Jothel

So I can replay some of the main story missions in MGSV - namely 13 and 14, any reason I should do this, other than just for more GMP?

So I can replay some of the main story missions in MGSV - namely 13 and 14, any reason I should do this, other than just for more GMP?

Nope. No important reason to replay missions unless you just wanna get a better score. Side Ops are usually better for GMP anyway.

Edit: forgot about the unique skills/blueprints. Those are worth replaying for.

tchocky

Some of the main story missions have blueprints or people you can fulton with unique skills (will often let you develop certain weapons/items), check on the right hand side of the mission list if their name is white you don't have someone of that skil/blueprintl.

Brashnir

I really can't decide if I want to buy Mario Maker.
I worry that after awhile all the levels will start to feel "samey".

Or that the system for finding levels is just bad.

I don't know. I worry I am going to plop $60 down, make a few levels no one will ever actually try. And play a bunch of poorly made mario levels and go "welp"

yeah, the (lack of) quality of the levels I've seen in it so far have reminded me that user-created content generally has an almost non-existent signal-to-noise ratio. Makes me glad I didn't buy it.

Jothel

Nope. No important reason to replay missions unless you just wanna get a better score. Side Ops are usually better for GMP anyway.

Edit: forgot about the unique skills/blueprints. Those are worth replaying for.

Some of the main story missions have blueprints or people you can fulton with unique skills (will often let you develop certain weapons/items), check on the right hand side of the mission list if their name is white you don't have someone of that skil/blueprintl.

A-ha! Thanks!

yeah, the (lack of) quality of the levels I've seen in it so far have reminded me that user-created content generally has an almost non-existent signal-to-noise ratio. Makes me glad I didn't buy it.

Mario Maker is definitely the "pick up and play for an hour" kind of game where it'll always have something new you can come back to. I also imagine as more people get familiar with the tools, the levels will get better instead of just being rollercoaster levels or other kind of gimmick levels.

Haven't started creating levels myself, but some levels so far were pretty cool to play.

Anth0ny

rusev loves windjammers. get this man on giant bomb.

also, having finished MGSV, I'm expecting at least 30 episodes of metal gear scanlon V. this game is MASSIVE.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
im listening back at "that was E3 10" right now during 2010 @ the best of bombcast right now. what a time to be alive.

WHAT

A

TIME

BE

ALIVE

Rainmaker

Banned
I have been re-listening to GOTY 2010 podcasts throughout the week. Never forget the war that was Best Downloadable Add-On.

I'm really enjoying these Until Dawn Playdates. It's as fun as watching them play Contradiction.

I feel like I've seen so much GB content in the past year, yet I've never even seen stuff with Ryan/Patrick/etc. or even much GBWest content before Vinny and Alex's move. Didn't even know what a TNT was until like a week ago.

Gotta make a better effort to catch up on older content soon.

Rewatching MG scanlan 2 and playing V and boy.... The MGSV original soundtrack is so forgettable.

I personally think that the music has been forgettable since after 3. The thing with that is, the Metal Gear Theme that is so well known is a plagiary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI). It was clearly reusing music from a Russian composer. When Kojima was alerted to this, he vowed never to use that theme again. They created a new theme in 3 that was pretty good (https://youtu.be/O1Xj_DwLBKQ?t=1m4s), but was rarely used (it was used most prominently in the Shagohod chase scene) and in 4 during the Snake/Ocelot fight. Even without that theme, there were several themes that were just abandoned, such as the alert theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWMpeBSxfnQ). I think the music became less and less of a concern to Kojima as the series wore on. It's a shame. I think he was more concerned about what licensed music he could use.

It was after 3 came out that Kojima learned about it. The old theme still appears in both the song that plays when Big Boss gets his title while EVA explains what really happened, and during the second half of the credits.

It was after 3 came out that Kojima learned about it. The old theme still appears in both the song that plays when Big Boss gets his title while EVA explains what really happened, and during the second half of the credits.

I meant to say after 3. I think 3 has the best rendition of it (https://youtu.be/O1Xj_DwLBKQ?t=5m10s). I think that the loss of that theme really affected the future soundtracks. They haven't found a permanent and memorable replacement.

jgminto

MGSV has some great ambient music that benefits the darker dramatic moments of the game. Might not have be as many stand out tracks but I remember it adding some nice atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom