• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MGSV soundtrack definitely takes its inspiration from "modern" movie music. Large sweeping orchestral tones with a synthy backing.

I mean, just listen to "V has come to" and try to figure out if its from interstellar or inception or mgsv

The MGSV soundtrack definitely takes its inspiration from "modern" movie music. Large sweeping orchestral tones with a synthy backing.

I mean, just listen to "V has come to" and try to figure out if its from interstellar or inception or mgsv

Well, there's a reason for that. MGS V's soundtrack is produced (but not composed) by Harry Gregson-Williams (who did co-compose MGS 2, 3, and 4). Harry Gregson-Williams is a protege of sorts of Hans Zimmer and his company Remote Control Productions (formerly Media Ventures). Hans Zimmer composed the scores to Interstellar and Inception (and Dan and Drew's beloved movie, The Rock). There are music critics that absolutely (with all their guts) hate Zimmer and those inspired by him. While, I myself do prefer a traditional symphonic score, I appreciate the music that Zimmer and his buddies create. But, if you want to read some vitriolic stuff aimed at Zimmer (or HGW), look up reviews from filmtracks.com. It's something else. Scores that have been nominated for Oscars have been torn apart by this guy. Sorry for the tangent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, the pervasiveness that kind of music is part of the reason why I'm put off by modern holywood for awhile now.

yami4ct

I'm about 20 missions into MGSV now. Music wise, nothing has come close to the greatness that is "Here's to you" during the Camp Omega walkthrough of GZ. The licensed music in V is silly and fun and the original soundtrack is good, but nothing so far blends the visuals and audio so well.

Honestly, the pervasiveness that kind of music is part of the reason why I'm put off by modern holywood for awhile now.

Michael Giacchino is (apart from John Williams) my favorite composer. Just like J.J. Abrams is (apart from Steven Spielberg) my favorite director. It's great that Giacchino/Abrams have a Williams/Spielberg sort of relationship and are essentially the proteges of the latter. It's funny though that Star Wars: Episode VII will be Willams/Abrams. Can't wait to hear the music from that movie! One thing Giacchino does, that other composers don't is that he rarely (if ever) edits in multiple elements. Every piece of his music is done in one location, live together, recorded in analog instead of digital to achieve a certain sound. I honestly can't tell the difference, but when someone puts that much love into something, something special is created. His Jurassic World soundtrack is really growing on me.

yami4ct

"a phantom pain" is a original song for TPP right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1HpdleCgeg

I like the idea that they tried writing new, original 80's synth rock for the game.

Also I need to find that Final Countdown tape. Rebel yell doesnt really work as chopper music. Takes too long to get into the part you want.

I found that tape fairly early on. Gameplay spoilers, if you care to look.

During the main mission where you have to find the intel on the tank commander and his tanks and get rid of him. It's in one of the houses in the village where you find the intel.

I was using 'Kids in America' as my chopper theme, and it's a pretty good one. I'm on PC, so I eventually switched to a custom soundtrack and put 'Pursuing my True Self' on there. It never fails to make me laugh. Big Boss' helicopter coming in with some Shoji Meguro J-Pop playing is the funniest thing for some reason.

Toparaman

Banned
I think its fine. I don't think an open world needs an event or something to do every 20 feet.
MGSV creates a believable environment. And those aren't always super exciting.

I'm only 15 hours in, but I'm kinda baffled by the complaints of the world being empty. Red Dead Redemption is even emptier, gives even less incentive to do anything in between missions, has forced traversal within missions where nothing but conversation occurs, has mindless whack-a-mole gameplay, and people wet themselves over that game. By that standard MGSV is a masterpiece.

I'm only 15 hours in, but I'm kinda baffled by the complaints of the world being empty. Red Dead Redemption is even emptier, gives even less incentive to do anything in between missions, has forced traversal within missions where nothing but conversation occurs, has mindless whack-a-mole gameplay, and people wet themselves over that game. By that standard MGSV is a masterpiece.

I believe the fact that RDR being empty was part of charm though. The fact that the map covers over the US and Mexico and it is realistic of the time of the wild west when there was no actual cities. Plus there is tons of wildlife and random events with people randomly out in the wilderness that makes it feel more alive. I haven't felt that at all in MGSV. It feels barren and boring. I'm not crazy far in but the setting of Afghanistan also is probably the most boring setting to me as well. Again, it's really down to personal preference to me, and the Wild West has always been my favorite. Plus RDR was also a change of pace and that it why it was lifted up so much, just like how when Call of Duty 4 changed it up, everyone loved the Modern Day shooter, but now it's old hat and super boring because everyone copied it. That's my two cents anyways

I think its just open world fatigue most people are feeling. I very rarely play open world games, so I don't have a problem with it's open aspects as travelling from one location to the next was fun for me, even if it wasn't always exciting with something new to see, but I can see why people dislike it.

For the record, I only played about an hour of Red Dead and instantly disliked it.

Anyone legitimately upset about this should calm down (and maybe rethink about their relationship with Nintendo, depending on how upset they are). It's developer-made custom content meant to show off what the creation system can do. RedLynx did the same exact thing with Tetris and the Hangar from Tony Hawk 2 in Trials Evolution, and there were no riots there.

They're clearly not out to eat Nintendo's lunch on this one.

(they're out to eat activision's lunch, and so is nintendo)

Pretty much, some people are crazy.

Fuck the chat in this Until Dawn playthrough. Austin should ignore them and let Alex take his own natural route through the game.

fuk the chat.

GavinGT

Banned
I was thinking, Austin should just go with a goatee or mustache or something. That facial hair is all over the place and I don't get what he's going for.

yami4ct

Man am super glad they spoiled (mgs5)
-----------Paz----------------
in the bombcast. I would have NEVER, EVER found that.

Quick question. Where is that?
I'm around Episode 20. I know she's randomly on Mother Base, but I have no clue where to begin looking nor do I know if she's even there yet. Mother Base is so huge now that trying to scour it for her seems daunting.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm around Episode 20. I know she's randomly on Mother Base, but I have no clue where to begin looking nor do I know if she's even there yet. Mother Base is so huge now that trying to scour it for her seems daunting.

Medical platform, level 3. Go in a door and then press a button to go in another door.

demidar

Third floor of the main medical bay platform on Mother Base, through a blue door.

Liamc723

She's on the second floor of the Medical Platform. Look for a door with a blue light above it.

She's on 3rd floor of the Medical platform, it will be the one door without a red light.

I was thinking, Austin should just go with a goatee or mustache or something. That facial hair is all over the place and I don't get what he's going for.
It's called a full beard? Sides take longer to fill in for some people, if he keeps growing it out the gaps will eventually be filled in. Goatees are horrendous abominations(sorry Alex) and given Austin has curly hair I doubt he can grow a truly standalone worthy mustache.

kanuuna

What was the name of that VOIP client that has a web based client and that allowed you to make URLs for calls etc. that Jeff mentioned in The Beastcast some weeks ago? I can't even remember which episode that was.

jaina

Well...yeah...sure... I have a sentimental soft spot for All Killer No Filler... It was one of my favorite album of my early 20s. Never really cared for their other stuff.
I want to reiterate that All Killer No Filler is just as it's title says. A great album.

Myggen

Going by the end of the latest Beastcast, the live Bombcast at LA Podfest will be Jeff, Brad, Dan and Vinny. Excellent.

Santar

Did something change with the video player on the site?
Usually I play videos in the medium-ish size on the page but now it just blows up to full screen for some reason.
As I only run a 720 desktop some of the screen is now cut off unless I fullscren it.
EDIT
I'm such a idiot, I seemed to have clicked on embiggen by mistake :p

Bad beards are a big part of the video game industry
And it doesn't get worse than this.

1540610-11.jpg

I sigh every time I see it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm about 20 missions into MGSV now. Music wise, nothing has come close to the greatness that is "Here's to you" during the Camp Omega walkthrough of GZ. The licensed music in V is silly and fun and the original soundtrack is good, but nothing so far blends the visuals and audio so well.

HTY is just an old licensed song, which they re-used from MGS4. It's an amazing song, so no complaining from me.

Anyone legitimately upset about this should calm down (and maybe rethink about their relationship with Nintendo, depending on how upset they are).

I feel like people are angrier than normal lately. the MGSV thing is insane.

how can you handle life if you're constantly getting mad at the things you do for fun?

Is it possible for Alex to finish the game in part 3? They mentioned that they didn't have much left.

I was thinking about that earlier. they should probably set aside 4 hours just in case and just power through the rest.

I feel like people are angrier than normal lately. the MGSV thing is insane.

how can you handle life if you're constantly getting mad at the things you do for fun?

Fan culture has existed since forever. People put too much personal stakes in things they enjoy.

Nerds are angry.

I guess. the moment I realize a diversion isn't fun or rewarding, I'm ditching it. life's not long enough to spend being angry.

if anything, playing a game I can't take seriously is a positive.

Jintor

finally watching last week's unpro friday and drew's silent look of pain when everyone starts ribbing him about playing and finishing MGSV is freaking hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom