• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I just finished Dropsy and GB East needs to play this so bad and hopefully also finish it. The most nightmarish and sweet game you will ever play. Definitely one of my favorites from this year.

Nero18

Some serious mob mentality going on in the MGS threads, people are so easily influenced by each other.

Edit: Saw that Jeff more or less perfectly worded my grievance on his tumblr.

Patryn

Some serious mob mentality going on in the MGS threads, people are so easily influenced by each other.

Give it another four, five months. The vocal opinion will be that MGSV is total crap.

Very few big games make it through the fires of GAF unscathed.

Then, of course, there's the games that the vocal majority will condemn on arrival, such as anything by Bethesda or Bioware.

Nero18

Don't know how much merit there is to this idea, but i almost think that the people who grew up with MGS have outgrown the franchise without realizing it. More specifically the plot of the games.

it's kind of funny that mgsv is polished as fuck. apart from a few major bugs, it's been almost impossible for me to break, accidentally or on purpose. which is actually almost a miracle considering how many variables are in play at basically every stop along the way.

you may not like the story, but don't try to give me some sob story that konami sold you a 60+ hour game that wasn't finished.

it's better than TLoU t(-_-t)

Vocal majority GAF (which is both not GAF as a whole, and also not the fabled "hivemind") does not hate all games.

For instance, currently any CDPR games are sacred cows.

CD Projekt Red has literally never put anything out that isn't The Witcher. The Wild Hunt is their only non-mobile game in the past 4 years. I don't think there's enough data to make that a meaningful claim.

Curufinwe

On mission 7 I died on the 3rd objective after doing the first 2, but when I reloaded the checkpoint it took away the completion of the 2nd objective. So I had to do 3, then go back and do 2 again and this time 2 was in a much less handy location.

That really screwed my mission rating, and it almost seems like a bug since I had travelled all the way across the mission area after doing objective 2 and the checkpoint was right next to objective 3.

it's a little weird because when you restart from a checkpoint, it retains some of the stuff that happened past that point. like, people you've marked, sometimes alarm states, etc. it's odd.

time paradox

f0rk

it's kind of funny that mgsv is polished as fuck. apart from a few major bugs, it's been almost impossible for me to break, accidentally or on purpose. which is actually almost a miracle considering how many variables are in play at basically every stop along the way.

you may not like the story, but don't try to give me some sob story that konami sold you a 60+ hour game that wasn't finished.

it's better than TLoU t(-_-t)

The mission you
rescue Huey and then have to hide from the metal gear
they ordered the helicopter in right in front of the base and it got shot down before I got there cos I was still trying to be sneaky. That annoyed me a bit

GavinGT

Banned

Sounds like a job for Vinny.

Nero18

The mission you
rescue Huey and then have to hide from the metal gear
they ordered the helicopter in right in front of the base and it got shot down before I got there cos I was still trying to be sneaky. That annoyed me a bit

Think that was set piece.

Edit: Saw that Jeff more or less perfectly worded my grievance on his tumblr.

Expectations for the story were sky fucking high because it's the last game in the series, but it definitely stumbles around despite some strong ideas. Still, MGS4's story makes V look like fucking Citizen Kane, so I'm not taking any of the gnashing and wailing too seriously. Especially if the user praises 4's narrative in the same post.

Give it another four, five months. The vocal opinion will be that MGSV is total crap.

Very few big games make it through the fires of GAF unscathed.

Then, of course, there's the games that the vocal majority will condemn on arrival, such as anything by Bethesda or Bioware.

I find in these cases that the criticisms are typically very valid and even in the cases that I disagree on the overall consensus, I agree on with a lot of the negative aspects of their argument. Unfortunately, once a game hits a certain tipping point, it's difficult to discuss the positive aspects at all because the conversation is always funneled in one direction.

I thought that review was the one posted on /r/giantbomb when I saw it. I was so confused as to how it had so many fucking upvotes on a sub with ~6000 readers.

Expectations for the story were sky fucking high because it's the last game in the series, but it definitely stumbles around despite some strong ideas. Still, MGS4's story makes V look like fucking Citizen Kane, so I'm not taking any of the gnashing and wailing too seriously. Especially if the user praises 4's narrative in the same post.

As someone who enjoys the absurdity of 4, I wish there was more of that. At least 4 had a beginning, middle and end with appropriate build up. V has a beginning and then 60 hours later, there's an awfully presented twist. I may be the only person who likes the silly twist (despite its presentation) but it's easy to be disappointed by the story here. Still, I got plenty of content for my money so I won't dwell on the cut content too much. Just wish there was more story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom