• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine, but I don't like the Transformers movies and I don't assume/pretend that they did badly at the box office.

It's just one of those false narratives members of the American games media repeat among themselves until they seem to actually believe it, and no amount of facts can change their mind.

The only people I've seen say Sony's big games don't do well are Giant Bomb and the most disreputable person in game journalism, so I don't think it's a widespread thing.

The biggest argument that will be made against Mario Maker is that its enjoyment is heavily based off the community making good levels, which is why it will have a hard time beating out Phantom Pain.

You can't even blow up 95% of the buildings in Just Cause 3. For a game focused on open world destruction and hijinks that's a problem, Mercenaries came out ten years ago!

I hope we won't be disappointed with Just Cause 3. The fun dicking around you could do make it easy to forget how awful the story and missions were in the JC2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The biggest argument that will be made against Mario Maker is that its enjoyment is heavily based off the community making good levels, which is why it will have a hard time beating out Phantom Pain.

Alot of the missions in TPP are of the same quality as fan made levels. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think MGSV is going to lessen the impact of JC3. There's no way that game is going to play better than MGS, it'll feel clunkier and the missions will be trivial as they've always been in that series.

They're at the opposite ends of the spectrum though - MGS V is all about the missions, while JC3 is all about open-world sandbox fun.

The bar's been raised but JC should be different enough to avoid direct comparison.

I wonder if MGS might have an uphill battle to GOTY, with the larger story issues. For all the game's strengths, the lack of a satisfying conclusion might be what people take away from it.

Given the scores and that 95% of critics side stepped the story's sexism and incomplete nature completely it seems unlikely that it won't take all.

They're at the opposite ends of the spectrum though - MGS V is all about the missions, while JC3 is all about open-world sandbox fun.

The bar's been raised but JC should be different enough to avoid direct comparison.

I wonder if MGS might have an uphill battle to GOTY, with the larger story issues. For all the game's strengths, the lack of a satisfying conclusion might be what people take away from it.

If the lack of a satisfying conclusion would hurt a game's chances of being #1 on their GOTY list then Shadow of Mordor wouldn't have been their GOTY.

Given the scores and that 95% of critics side stepped the story's sexism and incomplete nature completely it seems unlikely that it won't take all.

It's a bit harder to do detailed story criticism in a review, especially for a series as spoiler-cautious as MGS V. I feel like we're just now starting to hit that level of criticism, as more people have finished the game. Launch reviews seemed more focused on the game's mechanics, and almost refused to talk about the story in any detail.

If the lack of a satisfying conclusion would hurt a game's chances of being #1 on their GOTY list then Shadow of Mordor wouldn't have been their GOTY.

Mordor doesn't have the pedigree of story that MGS has. Makes the incomplete nature all the more annoying.

Also, last year was devoid of options. Destiny was the butt of every joke that year, and it made their top ten list.

Bacon

I just played a level that actually felt like it could have been in a proper Mario game and it felt way more special than any of the crazier levels that I've played. Pretty weird.

Mordor doesn't have the pedigree of story that MGS has. Makes the incomplete nature all the more annoying.

Also, last year was devoid of options. Destiny was the butt of every joke that year, and it made their top ten list.

In the same vein no previous Metal Gear game can even remotely touch the complexity of the systems and polish of MGSV's gameplay. Its more personal preference at this point of whether you care more about the story or the gameplay, and it seems like so far that Jeff and Brad value the gameplay way more, while Dan will just take anything mainline Metal Gear he can get.

You also forget that the crew really enjoyed 4 as well, even though most people don't care for it.

Edit: You can tell that there's such a strong consensus among the crew that MGSV is incredibly good based on their last podcast, even with its narrative problems. I'd say every other game has an uphill battle to take it out for GOTY.

hamchan

Only Dan and Drew care about the story.

Flandy

I remember seeing a picture of a Spanish or Mexican version of Jeff in one of these thread a while back. Anyone know what I'm referring to have said photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom