• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Bomb: Sony has no games
Reasonable people: Yes they do here they are
Giant Bomb: But they don't sell like Halo!

When did Jeff start beating the sales drum to discount a publishers games? Shit is straight out of the gamefaqs Wii era playbook.

Myggen

When did Jeff start beating the sales drum to discount a publishers games? Shit is straight out of the gamefaqs Wii era playbook.

Did we suddenly travel 2 months back in time in this thread?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Big Jeffrey has never liked Sony's first party games. Does Halo even sell anymore since the rise of COD?

Patryn

I find in these cases that the criticisms are typically very valid and even in the cases that I disagree on the overall consensus, I agree on with a lot of the negative aspects of their argument. Unfortunately, once a game hits a certain tipping point, it's difficult to discuss the positive aspects at all because the conversation is always funneled in one direction.

I have no dog in this fight, actually. I haven't played MGSV and I have little interest in doing so. The series kind of lost me on MGS3, when the whole gameplay simply became too tedious for me to care.

And I agree with you. What I find taxing on GAF is when you like a game that the vocal majority has often condemned, any mention of it will be drowned out by many simply trashing the game in drivebys full of hyperbole.

For instance, I personally love SWTOR and Dragon Age Inquisition, and although I acknowledge that they are flawed, there is little reason in talking about these games because I know I'll be dogpiled.

Sadly, I myself have been part of the problem because lord knows that I spent far too much time on GAF jumping down the throat of any person who expressed admiration for Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age 2.

However, I've mellowed and accepted that people like what people like. It's how I can now stand to read discussion of Fallout 4 on here, although I am weary of constantly reading about how it's going to be a terrible game.

Is Halo still really big among more casual gamers, or have CoD and Destiny fulfilled that part of the market?

As someone who enjoys the absurdity of 4, I wish there was more of that. At least 4 had a beginning, middle and end with appropriate build up. V has a beginning and then 60 hours later, there's an awfully presented twist. I may be the only person who likes the silly twist (despite its presentation) but it's easy to be disappointed by the story here. Still, I got plenty of content for my money so I won't dwell on the cut content too much. Just wish there was more story.

That's fair. I just think every part of MGS4 is so bad, especially what it does to MGS2 plot threads and MGS3's themes/characters.

Myggen

Is Halo still really big among more casual gamers, or have CoD and Destiny fulfilled that part of the market?

From Wikipedia:

Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day and $300 million in its opening week. The gross was a new record for the franchise,[169] surpassing Halo: Reach* '​s $200 million first-day gross.[170] More than one million people played Halo 4 on Xbox Live within the first 24 hours of release.[171] While Halo 4 debuted at the top of the UK Video Games Chart and became the eighteenth biggest launch ever in the UK, it failed to beat the week one sales records of Halo 3 and Halo: Reach.[172] U.S. retail tracking firm NPD reported that Halo 4 was the second most sold retail video game of November 2012, the third most sold retail video game of December 2012, and the third most sold retail video game of the year.[173][174] In the United States Halo 4 became the best-selling Microsoft Studios title for sales counted during respective launch years.[175] In 2012, Halo 4 was the third most played game on Xbox Live based on average unique users per day.[176]

Some serious mob mentality going on in the MGS threads, people are so easily influenced by each other.

Edit: Saw that Jeff more or less perfectly worded my grievance on his tumblr.

I dunno, some of the things Jeff's saying borders kinda on putting words in people's mouths. I've seen plenty of complaints about what is actually in MGSV (ie, repetition or questionable worth of most of the side ops, the open world not really mattering at all, divisiveness over tapes vs Codecs, people disliking how certain important characters are handled overall) and how certain plotlines feel barely fleshed out or are left dangling, even before seeing the stuff that was demonstrably cut.

I totally get why the core gameplay being so good totally makes up for a lot of that for plenty if not most people, but dismissing it all as people just looking for reasons to get upset and baselessly claim stuff is unfinished seems unfair. (especially when the biggest unfinished thing is actually on a bonus DVD in the collector's edition and was clearly meant to be watched with a disclaimer about how they didn't finish it).

Oh, okay. I remember a GAF thread that highlighted how the later Halo games were having major trouble maintaining an online community, do I thought the whole thing was collapsing.

Halo 4 was the one that lost it's online community really fast and that was for numerous reasons relating to the game itself rather than sales. Halo 5 will be the test for how those games sell now but even then Halo 5 could end up suffering because of Halo 4 and the Master Chief collection.

I dunno, some of the things Jeff's saying borders kinda on putting words in people's mouths. I've seen plenty of complaints about what is actually in MGSV (ie, repetition or questionable worth of most of the side ops, the open world not really mattering at all, divisiveness over tapes vs Codecs, people disliking how certain important characters are handled overall) and how certain plotlines feel barely fleshed out or are left dangling, even before seeing the stuff that was demonstrably cut.

I totally get why the core gameplay being so good totally makes up for a lot of that for plenty if not most people, but dismissing it all as people just looking for reasons to get upset and baselessly claim stuff is unfinished seems unfair. (especially when the biggest unfinished thing is actually on a bonus DVD in the collector's edition and was clearly meant to be watched with a disclaimer about how they didn't finish it).

the problem seems to be that Jeff is viewing it as people complaining that their nice, functional new car didn't have a spoiler or some nice wheels that it could have had, whereas the reality is more that your nice new car is missing the headlights and the turn signals, and maybe a door or two.

And that's completely separate from matters of opinion on how the car happens to drive, or how comfy the seats are. obviously some valid opinions on both sides, those things will work for some people and not for others.

mintyice

Why do people here take Jeff's opinion about things as gospel? He's just a dude like you and me with his own set of opinions that you don't have to agree with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Myggen

Why do people here take Jeff's opinion about things as gospel? He's just a dude like you and me with his own set of opinions that you don't have to agree with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't really see people here taking his opinions as gospel, just discussing it.

You're right. He thinks Yoshi's Island is mechanically lacking but not Saints Row The Third. He's basically history's greatest monster.

Myggen

Bd2RTRG.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was thinking about the other episodes not just the ending for the first.

That's the thing though, I don't buy these type of games until they're all out.

The latest one that I did, life is strange, i did it because there was a set schedule and big publisher behind it so it was more likely to finish if things didn't work out.

Curufinwe

Big Jeffrey has never liked Sony's first party games.

That's fine, but I don't like the Transformers movies and I don't assume/pretend that they did badly at the box office.

It's just one of those false narratives members of the American games media repeat among themselves until they seem to actually believe it, and no amount of facts can change their mind.

Myggen

Ah ye those are alright. Don't know if they really warrant any hire, he is just taking somebody else's content and editing it together..not that amazing.

If he's gonna do some videos for them it wouldn't be a hire, more likely some money for X amount of videos. And Jeff has always talked about the need to promote their premium stuff to a much larger degree than they do now. You need someone who's a big fan of the site to make those kind of videos, someone who watches all they put out and timestamps potential Best Of moments. So it makes sense having someone from the community do it. Giving the guy some money to make some official Best Ofs seems like a good deal for everyone involved.

Assuming that's what's happening here of course!

Dany

Banned
If he's gonna do some videos for them it wouldn't be a hire, more likely some money for X amount of videos. And Jeff has always talked about the need to promote their premium stuff to a much larger degree than they do now. You need someone who's a big fan of the site to make those kind of videos, someone who watches all they put out and timestamps potential Best Of moments. So it makes sense having someone from the community do it. Giving the guy some money to make some official Best Ofs seems like a good deal for everyone involved.

Assuming that's what's happening here of course!

Smart idea,

like I said before, those best of videos are the reason I signed up for premium in the first place. if they throw him some work/ legitimize what he's doing, he deserves it 100%

Jintor

Ah ye those are alright. Don't know if they really warrant any hire, he is just taking somebody else's content and editing it together..not that amazing.

it's hard to quantifying amazingness but a good editor is pretty damn amazing. that's a lot of work scrubbing through content at the least before we even get into timing aspects of comedy.

I hope they Contradiction Bullets and Blues cos that was a pretty good time. Hit all the right notes and that team is really good for those kinds of games I reckon.

That's cool. I haven't watched those best-of videos much since I watch every piece of content on the site anyway, but that guy has put so much work into making them for so long. I hope they are doing something with him, he has earned it.

it's hard to quantifying amazingness but a good editor is pretty damn amazing. that's a lot of work scrubbing through content at the least before we even get into timing aspects of comedy.

and that's really the thing. there have been other people who have done "best of" compilations, like with the mario party things, but xpantherx/turboman has a way of editing them together to preserve or enhance the comedic timing that others don't.

I just watch them because they're great summaries of everything. I don't even remember how I got into premium... I'm 80% sure you guys convinced me during one of the sales last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom