• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

I can't name 10 gaming websites

themoongaveita70though.jpg

Here are some of my favorites.

Rainmaker

Banned
I remember seeing a picture of a Spanish or Mexican version of Jeff in one of these thread a while back. Anyone know what I'm referring to have said photo?

I still can't find the photo of the old man that looks like Jeff so if anyone around here still has that I'd love to see it again.

I can't name 10 gaming websites

gamespot
gamespy dead
ign
kotaku actually a good writer/bad blog post dumping grounds
giant bomb
gamesradar
joystiq dead
destructoid
eurogamer
biogamer girl actually front founded for a punchline for review threads

oh christ I don't think I can name 10 either

Destructoid has been a rotting corpse of abysmal writers for years. Pick any one of the reviews and it's sure to be on the level of Greg Miller's magnum opus "Dead Space 2 ign review"

Giant bomb
GameSpot
IGN
Destructoid
Eurogamer
USgamer
Videogamer
Kotaku
Polygon

I can name 9 sites that still exist and are paying staff.

Boy. Must suck to be a games reviewer looking for work these days huh?

yami4ct

Fair enough(although it was my gaming website before neogaf) but the latest crop of writers are on another level. Gaming journalism's biggest problem is that no one in the field can write.

I think the problem is that how do you attract good writers to the industry when barely anyone can make any money at it? Very few people read good games writing, so it doesn't pay. You write a poor review and a good review, and the good review won't necessarily get you any more hits. People will likely just be arguing about the score regardless.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is good when it's not sliding into Kotaku-tier blogging posts. (This trend is unfortunately going to destroy RPS at its current rate.)

kingocfs

I only visit other gaming websites when Neogaf is down.

Pretty much. Honestly for me it's just GAF and GB. These days front page of Gaming covers the news for me and the podcasts usually tell me anything I missed.

Edit: just thought of another, Kill Screen. I think Pitchfork owns it? They're pretty good I guess idk

Myggen

Last I heard about that site was when they laid off a lot of staff. I just assumed it closed down.

Nah, it's still there. They were bought by Defy Media. They're taking the personality-driven approach now. I'm a fan of the site, but I think it might shut down within a year. The writing is kind of on the wall, Defy isn't exactly giving them much resources.

Jothel

Nah, it's still there. They were bought by Defy Media. They're taking the personality-driven approach now. I'm a fan of the site, but I think it might shut down within a year. The writing is kind of on the wall, Defy isn't exactly giving them much resources.
Wouldn't surprise me - I've been going on the site since it was literally just for trailers for games, it's definitely not great right now...

oti

Banned
Super Mario Maker vs. MGS V GOTY showdown incoming

Team SMM: Jeff
Team MGSV: Brad (aka the devil), Dan (traitor), Drew (?)

Unknown: Jason (double agent?!)

newjeruse

Super Mario Maker vs. MGS V GOTY showdown incoming

Team SMM: Jeff
Team MGSV: Brad (aka the devil), Dan (traitor), Drew (?)

Unknown: Jason (double agent?!)
Unfortunately, it will probably just come down to the GOTY bullies Brad and Jeff tuning everyone out and arguing amongst themselves. What Drew, Jason, and Dan think sadly does not matter.

Patryn

Why are you guys leaving three people out of the GOTY discussion

Look at Austin's GOTY list for last year and you'll see that he goes for more off-beat stuff, so he's a real wildcard.

Part of me think's he'll appreciate MGSV's open-style gameplay, but another part of me thinks he'll prefer Mario Maker's potential for creativity.

I think Alex will be sulking in the corner advocating for Splatoon.

Jintor

Even with MGSV out Splatoon is the best stealth game released in ages

I don't know since when. Maybe since Mark of the Ninja, that was my last fave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom