• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

I'm at the point in MGSV where I just sent my guys on a mission that takes TWO AND A HALF HOURS and I only have a 52% chance of success and it's critical for the "real ending"

game gets a little absurd with the time commitment later on

purchase the MB coin doubler

tchocky

I'm at the point in MGSV where I just sent my guys on a mission that takes TWO AND A HALF HOURS and I only have a 52% chance of success and it's critical for the "real ending"

I never sent my troops on anything below 85%. and you don't need to do that for the real ending I don't think.

The games a little deceptive with the combat deployment stuff being in yellow

You don't need to do them to get the real ending

purchase the MB coin doubler

wunder

im gonna buy another fob

join me

oh son of a bitch

all the guides were like "do everything in yellow"

welp

all you need to do is all yellow important side ops , max out quiets bond and hope something triggers

i needed to do one of the extreme missions for the game to progress in the later stages of chapter 2

hamchan

As I'm talking about GOTY, here's the forecast as I see it:

Locks for Top 10:
MGSV
Mario Maker
Rocket League
Splatoon
Witcher 3

Probable:
Just Cause 3
Galak-Z
Axiom Verge

Possible:
Fallout 4
Call of Duty
Arkham Knight

Did I forget anything? Note that I'm deliberately leaving Persona 5 off the list, as while I do believe it'll be a VERY late 2015 title (I'm currently guessing Dec. 15 as its release date) it'll be far too late to actually make an impact on the proceedings.

I think Her Story could sneak into the bottom 5 too.

Myggen

They seemed pretty excited about that before release, but I don't remember them being that big on it. Did they even talk about it on the podcast?

In addition to Jeff's review, Dan said it was his GOTY up to that point and seemed to really love it. Games released early in the year always have a worse chance at GOTY (which is why studios release the "Oscar bait" movies close to the deadline), but I think Axiom Verge made a pretty big impression on at least those two.

Destiny seemed like a 3 star game where parts of it were 4-5 star quality but then some of it was at a 1-2 star level. So if they right the ship and get the garbage-tier stuff to the level of the rest of the game I'd totally be okay with its inclusion.

Destiny has always seemed like a great game hamstrung by not being in the oven long enough.

As far as what's in the top 10 goes, every member gets to push a game that they consider a great experience. So i'd consider what Alex and Austin would push because they also tend to lean on getting a really good but overlooked game some much needed recognition

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Until Dawn or Armello make it based on that line of thinking

Heimbeck

Banned
Why would witcher 3 be top 5 when only one of them could potentially finish it?

I could see TW3 making it to the bottom of the list, but it doesn't look like anyone but Dan will finish it.

I think a couple of them will power through it for the sake of GOTY. If you mainline the story quests the game moves pretty briskly.

The only one i think would do that is Brad.
Vinny might want to but I don't think he has the time to make it to the end.

Patryn

Let me say that just because I consider those 5 games locks doesn't mean I think that's the top 5, just that I believe they're locks to make the top 10.

I made my list based on my impressions of how much they enjoyed the games. Those I put in probable (specifically Axiom Verge and Galak-Z) are games that I think they enjoyed, but they seemed to talk less about.

At the same time, I can totally see those games overtaking the so-called "locks".

When Dan and Brad were actually talking about potentially doing every side mission, I knew Brad would fall off, especially with the breaks he took waiting for patches and trips and all the other big games coming out. I was 50/50 on Dan. There's too much side stuff for that unless you are committed to playing 100-150+ hours. A lot of it is worth doing but not at the expense of not finishing the main line stuff. It's a real shame because the only reason they wanted to do it was because they were loving it so much at the time. To think that might be the reason it doesn't get serious consideration.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think Until Dawn belongs on that list. Of the people that played it, everyone liked it. And I would cut Arkham Knight after the latest remarks, but they do have a softspot for that series, so who knows?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Let me say that just because I consider those 5 games locks doesn't mean I think that's the top 5, just that I believe they're locks to make the top 10.

I made my list based on my impressions of how much they enjoyed the games. Those I put in probable (specifically Axiom Verge and Galak-Z) are games that I think they enjoyed, but they seemed to talk less about.

At the same time, I can totally see those games overtaking the so-called "locks".

But really, it only seemed like Dan, Brad and Alex (Austin maybe?) liked it and actually played it, plus with Brad falling off like he usually does that takes out 2 of the most important people that decides the goty (Brad and Jeff).

Also why do people seem to forget bloodborne? Even Jeff liked it, which is no small feat.

People have been whining about episode 16 in MGSV but that shit was a breeze. The end of it is how i justify bringing an RPG every mish and keep upgrading the crap out of it. And then there are a dozen really well rated dudes all asleep at the end so you feel like you hit the jackpot.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about how terrible episode 14 is then you have my axe. The checkpoints (or lack thereof) in that one made me want to punch pillows for all of eternity

Brehs tell me: how spoiler-filled is the last (MGSV) Bombcast? 22 Minutes in and not sure if I should continue

Quiet spoilers, mechanics spoilers, campaign progression spoilers, but the ending and story remain untouched besides the things i mentioned

Heimbeck

Banned
Yeah, I think Until Dawn belongs on that list. Of the people that played it, everyone liked it. And I would cut Arkham Knight after the latest remarks, but they do have a softspot for that series, so who knows?

Jeff has already said he didn't care for it on his blog and Brad gave it four stars.
I can't really see anyone pushing for it, unless everyone on the beast team enjoyed it.

Brehs tell me: how spoiler-filled is the last (MGSV) Bombcast? 22 Minutes in and not sure if I should continue

If gameplay and mission discussion are spoilers for you, you should probably stop. There may be some story spoilers, but nothing that wasn't in the trailers already. Honestly if you're worried about that sort of thing, you shouldn't be listening to a podcast dedicated to MGSV.

People have been whining about episode 16 in MGSV but that shit was a breeze. The end of it is how i justify bringing an RPG every mish and keep upgrading the crap out of it. And then there are a dozen really well rated dudes all asleep at the end so you feel like you hit the jackpot.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about how terrible episode 14 is then you have my axe. The checkpoints (or lack thereof) in that one made me want to punch pillows for all of eternity
Mission 29 was really overrated as well, I'm still not sure why it was supposed to be super difficult.

I booted Witcher 3 up last night as a palate cleanser. Too much MGS recently, the game was feeling really repetitive.

And shit damn Witcher is so good. The combat really hits its stride when you unlock the higher-tier abilities.

Zornack

As I'm talking about GOTY, here's the forecast as I see it:

Locks for Top 10:
MGSV
Mario Maker
Rocket League
Splatoon
Witcher 3

Probable:
Just Cause 3
Galak-Z
Axiom Verge

Possible:
Fallout 4
Call of Duty
Arkham Knight

Did I forget anything? Note that I'm deliberately leaving Persona 5 off the list, as while I do believe it'll be a VERY late 2015 title (I'm currently guessing Dec. 15 as its release date) it'll be far too late to actually make an impact on the proceedings.

I think Grow Home could end up in the back half.

If I just hit Skellige how many hours would I have left in the Witcher 3? I'd like to get back to it after MGSV and try and finish it..

It's a massive chunk of the game. Think of it as three acts: Velen, Novigrad, then Skellige.

Expect to spend just as much time there as you did Velen... Maybe more.

Edit: I should mention that Skellige was probably my favorite part of the game.

Actually I'm being inaccurate, because there's a rather lengthy final chunk after you do your Skellige business.

danm999

I feel like Life is Strange is the big one that GB will totally overlook. Unless something goes horribly wrong with Episode 5, I think many sites are going to have a lot of nice thing to say about that series. GB have said nothing past the QL.

I thought GBE might get into it (Playdate), but it seems too late for them to do that now. Alex seems to be at least paying attention to the series (posted three of the four episode trailers that were made available), but I don't think is playing. Austin seem like the guy who might fight for a game like that on GOTY, but I don't think he is touching it.

I'm holding out hope someone on staff is waiting until they're all out before they play them but I think you're right.

Even Jeff and Brad seemed to like what they saw of Episode 1, which is the weakest episode by a mile, but it seems nobody followed up.

daydream

Banned
if dan enjoys nova-111, he should look into every turn-based dungeon crawler, e.g. the mystery dungeon series

btw y'all are forgetting crypt of the necrodancer in your top 10 speculation

if dan enjoys nova-111, he should look into every turn-based dungeon crawler, e.g. the mystery dungeon series

btw y'all are forgetting crypt of the necrodancer in your top 10 speculation

I thought that was what he was referencing in the Nova QL.

I didn't know it came out of early access. That shit is my jam, literally.

But what is your peanut butter?

Uh, Binding of Issac: Rebirth? I guess??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom