• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games GB has actually published a review for in 2015:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Brad) - 5*
Mad Max (Alex) - 3*
Madden NFL 16 (Alex) - 4*
Super Mario Maker (Jeff) - 5*
Gears of War Ultimate Edition (Jeff) - 2*
Galak-Z: The Dimensional (Austin) - 4*
God of War III: Remastered (Dan) - 4*
Her Story (Alex) - 4*
Batman: Arkham Knight (Brad) - 4*
Splatoon (Alex) - 4*
Mortal Kombat X (Jeff) - 4*
Axiom Verge (Jeff) - 5*
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Alex) - 3*
Battlefield Hardline (Jeff) - 3*
The Order: 1886 (Jeff) - 2*
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Dan) - 2*
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (Dan) - 3*

Xater

Games GB has actually published a review for in 2015:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Brad) - 5*
Mad Max (Alex) - 3*
Madden NFL 16 (Alex) - 4*
Super Mario Maker (Jeff) - 5*
Gears of War Ultimate Edition (Jeff) - 2*
Galak-Z: The Dimensional (Austin) - 4*
God of War III: Remastered (Dan) - 4*
Her Story (Alex) - 4*
Batman: Arkham Knight (Brad) - 4*
Splatoon (Alex) - 4*
Mortal Kombat X (Jeff) - 4*
Axiom Verge (Jeff) - 5*
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Alex) - 3*
Battlefield Hardline (Jeff) - 3*
The Order: 1886 (Jeff) - 2*
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Dan) - 2*
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (Dan) - 3*

Everything with 4 stars or more will probably be relevant. I expect Fallout 4 to also be there come year end. Maybe even Star Wars Battlefront and COD.

As I'm talking about GOTY, here's the forecast as I see it:

Locks for Top 10:
MGSV
Mario Maker
Rocket League
Splatoon
Witcher 3

Probable:
Just Cause 3
Galak-Z
Axiom Verge

Possible:
Fallout 4
Call of Duty
Arkham Knight

Did I forget anything? Note that I'm deliberately leaving Persona 5 off the list, as while I do believe it'll be a VERY late 2015 title (I'm currently guessing Dec. 15 as its release date) it'll be far too late to actually make an impact on the proceedings.

I could see a small push for Until Dawn or Her Story. No one other than Alex (and maybe Austin) is playing Life Is Strange. There's no one to advocate for Cities: Skylines, which is a damned shame. I could see a push for Bloodborne. Maybe Alex or Austin could at least get the mention for Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Rorie hasn't finished Pillars of Eternity, right? And he wouldn't be there to push for it anyway.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood came and went without much fanfare. Stretchmo also didn't seem to grab anyone.

Drew could push for Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition, but it won't get very far.

Were Brad, Vinny, and/or Austin into Volume? That might be a surprise entry.

If Jeff, Vinny, and Austin fall into the Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer trap, it could work in that game's favor.

Rock Band 4, Guitar Hero Live, Halo 5, BLOPS3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, SW: Battlefront, Just Cause 3, and maybe Rainbow Six Siege seem like the heavy hitters for the duders left on the calendar.

tuxfool

Banned
So maybe like 25-30 hours?

Sure. Unfortunately it is hard to to quantify as it depends on how much you're doing in Act 1.

The game is structured so that it is most freeform in act 1, the following acts become more and more focused on the main story (Act 3 is entirely focused on the main plot thread).

One of the things about the witcher 3 is that they actually paid attention to the fact that urgency matters as the story starts to coalesce, so they throw less distractions as the game progresses. The people that complain about the pacing haven't gotten past the first act, but it is still a shitload of story content.

daydream

Banned
Kirby's trash, it deserved the 2.

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

you cray, son

Myggen

Nova-111 looks neat.

Also, the text in the Kirby review lines up pretty well with the score. It's probably a strong 2/weak 3, but they went with a 2. Dan clearly didn't like that game all that much.

Sure. Unfortunately it is hard to to quantify as it depends on how much you're doing in Act 1.

The game is structured so that it is most freeform in act 1, the following acts become more and more focused on the main story (Act 3 is entirely focused on the main plot thread).

One of the things about the witcher 3 is that they actually paid attention to the fact that urgency matters as the story starts to coalesce, so they throw less distractions as the game progresses. The people that complain about the pacing haven't gotten past the first act, but it is still a shitload of story content.

That doesn't sound as bad as I was expecting, I should definitely be able to finish it before the end of the year.

Myggen

I also think it feels like a step back from last year. I actually enjoyed playing a COD again with AW.

Seeing as a lot of people who disliked AW seems to think that BLOPS3 is a return to form, I can see Jeff feeling the opposite since he really loved that game.

killroy87

As I'm talking about GOTY, here's the forecast as I see it:

Locks for Top 10:
MGSV
Mario Maker
Rocket League
Splatoon
Witcher 3

Probable:
Just Cause 3
Galak-Z
Axiom Verge

Possible:
Fallout 4
Call of Duty
Arkham Knight

Did I forget anything? Note that I'm deliberately leaving Persona 5 off the list, as while I do believe it'll be a VERY late 2015 title (I'm currently guessing Dec. 15 as its release date) it'll be far too late to actually make an impact on the proceedings.

Switch Galak-Z for Bloodborne and you've got a solid list. I feel like Galak-Z fizzled out super quick.

Patryn

Switch Galak-Z for Bloodborne and you've got a solid list. I feel like Galak-Z fizzled out super quick.

Are people not counting? I listed 11 games.

Those are not my expected order, just a summary of games that I think have a shot, divided into categories.

It's already been pointed out that Bloodborne, Grow Home, and Until Dawn have decent shots.

All I know about GB goty is that Brad will find some way to sneak either Dying Light, Ori and the Blind Forest or Grow Home in the top 10.

In the same vein, Jeff will probably champion Axiom Verge to a spot.

killroy87

Are people not counting? I listed 11 games.

Those are not my expected order, just a summary of games that I think have a shot, divided into categories.

It's already been pointed out that Bloodborne, Grow Home, and Until Dawn have decent shots.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying I don't think Galak-Z has a shot :p

All I know about GB goty is that Brad will find some way to sneak either Dying Light, Ori and the Blind Forest or Grow Home in the top 10.

In the same vein, Jeff will probably champion Axiom Verge to a spot.

Every game listed here except Grow Home deserves to be listed, so that's fine by me. Grow Home is fine too, it's just too slight. It doesn't hold up in the overall top 10.

Xater

it's september and 1/3 of the year's biggest games aren't even out yet

I only care about which anime avatar myggen will get

Feels to me like most of the relevant games for a GB GOTY are out. I can only see Fallout 4 and the two big shooters having a shot at something. They won't care about the new AC for example or even Rainbow Six.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cities Skylines will definitely be in the top 10. They were way into that when it came out. Or Brad and Jeff were and it'd be a huge hole if they gave SimCity all this shit for being such a disappointment then turned around and didn't recognize Cities Skylines for doing everything right.

Myggen

Axiom is a lame Metroid retread that's worse in every way. Grow Home is an Ubisoft tower climbing game. Dying Light is a zombie game by a middling developer. Ori...I haven't played Ori, but it keeps bad company.

Axiom is a great Metroidvania that looks fantastic, Grow Home's climbing feels fantastic (but the game itself is more of a proof of concept than anything else), Dying Light is one of the most satisfying gameplay experiences I've had all year, and Ori is a great platformer that looks absolutely stunning.

Opinions, we've got 'em.

Patryn

Feels to me like most of the relevant games for a GB GOTY are out. I can only see Fallout 4 and the two big shooters having a shot at something. They won't care about the new AC for example or even Rainbow Six.

Honestly, I think the only game that has yet to come out that will make the list is Just Cause 3.

Yeah, when Jeff talked about how much he liked Skyrim, he constantly mentioned how much it made him actually want to play the next Fallout. I don't see it being ignored.

Patryn

I will be shocked if Fallout 4 doesn't make the list.

Yeah, when Jeff talked about how much he liked Skyrim, he constantly mentioned how much it made him actually want to play the next Fallout. I don't see it being ignored.

Maybe it's GAF getting to me, but I predict that they'll be disappointed in Fallout 4. Jeff sounded very wary about the idea of it releasing this year around E3, recall.

DamnBoxes

Axiom is a great Metroidvania that looks fantastic, Grow Home's climbing feels fantastic (but the game itself is more of a proof of concept than anything else), Dying Light is one of the most satisfying gameplay experiences I've had all year, and Ori is a great platformer that looks absolutely stunning.

Opinions, we've got 'em.

• Axiom has a great atmosphere but wasn't very fun to play.
  • Grow Home was a joy from start to finish.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest is like Axiom, except it's actually fun to play.

latest

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Isn't the PS4 port of Grow Home bad? I haven't had the chance to play it, but (if I'm remembering correctly) that should hurt its chances.

Xater

Honestly, I think the only game that has yet to come out that will make the list is Just Cause 3.

For some reason I always forget that Just Cause 3 is still coming out this year. The only December game I care about is Hitman, heh.

Isn't the PS4 port of Grow Home bad? I haven't had the chance to play it, but (if I'm remembering correctly) that should hurt its chances.

The frame rate is pretty bad which is kind of shocking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's my opinion, Metroidvanias are more tired and worn out than FPSes and MOBAs.

Guacamelee was fun. Ori was not. Axiom was completely uninspired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom