• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Maybe it's GAF getting to me, but I predict that they'll be disappointed in Fallout 4. Jeff sounded very wary about the idea of it releasing this year around E3, recall.

I think GAF is getting to you. GAF might've turned on Bethesda and will probably call Fallout 4 the worst game of the year, but GB by and large hasn't. They all seemed pretty positive on the reveal trailer.

I think "That's it?" is going to be a popular sentiment, and I'm not just saying that because I view the world as a joyless quagmire. Being a big openworld isn't enough anymore.

Disagree, but we'll have to wait and see. I think it will depend on whether Bethesda has evolved their style in any way or not.

Patryn

Isn't the PS4 port of Grow Home bad? I haven't had the chance to play it, but (if I'm remembering correctly) that should hurt its chances.

GB tends to not care if a version doesn't perform well, as long as it's not the version that they played.

Remember they gave GOTY to Skyrim, after all.

killroy87

Yeah, I have some weird gut feeling about Fallout 4. I can't quite put my finger on it, it just seems super iterative, like it's checking all the boxes of a numbered sequel (which isn't a bad thing per se). We've heard the standard "this is our biggest world yet", and "the script is this many pages" stuff, but the game itself just looks...like Fallout 3. Which again, isn't a bad thing, but I'm anxious to see what aspects of it end up wowing people.

Xater

Yeah, I have some weird gut feeling about Fallout 4. I can't quite put my finger on it, it just seems super iterative, like it's checking all the boxes of a numbered sequel (which isn't a bad thing per se). We've heard the standard "this is our biggest world yet", and "the script is this many pages" stuff, but the game itself just looks...like Fallout 3. Which again, isn't a bad thing, but I'm anxious to see what aspects of it end up wowing people.

I feel you. I already didn't care much for Skyrim and like Witcher 2 way more that year. I bet I will enjoy Fallout 4 but like you say it seems iterative and it doesn't look like they are fixing some of the big problems I have with their design.

Or Kingdom Hearts 3.
Believe.

That game will be lucky to come out in 2016 let alone this year.

I think "That's it?" is going to be a popular sentiment, and I'm not just saying that because I view the world as a joyless quagmire. Being a big openworld isn't enough anymore.

I'm realizing that many of us are already feeling this way. Witcher 3 and MGSV raised the bar (in different ways) for open world games. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm tempering my expectations for Fallout.

justjim89

My top fear for Fallout 4 is that they'll ignore all the strides forward New Vegas made because it wasn't their game. But NV was 10 times the RPG Fallout 3 was.

Either way, I have it pre-ordered on PC and even if it comes out as a mess modders will fix it.

I think the main game I see getting ignored come GOTY time is Her Story. Such an incredible experience, but I don't think anyone on the West Coast even played it.

Heimbeck

Banned
Seeing as a lot of people who disliked AW seems to think that BLOPS3 is a return to form, I can see Jeff feeling the opposite since he really loved that game.

He also seemed to think the beta for BO3 was a step down.
I also liked AW a lot, and prefer it to what I have played of BO3.

I think Jeff might put it in his own to 10 (maybe somewhere near the bottom) but I don;t think it will be in the Giant Bomb top 10.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
GB tends to not care if a version doesn't perform well, as long as it's not the version that they played.

Remember they gave GOTY to Skyrim, after all.

Ugh don't remind me.

However the PS4 version being crap probably means that most others won't end up trying it. It was also hurt by releasing around MGS.

demidar

I feel you. I already didn't care much for Skyrim and like Witcher 2 way more that year. I bet I will enjoy Fallout 4 but like you say it seems iterative and it doesn't look like they are fixing some of the big problems I have with their design.

Quality doesn't sell games, big statistics and numbers do.

I really hope it's not just more of the same, even though nothing they've shown has indicated otherwise. Still, I thought skyrim was just more of the same and played 100 Damn hours so

Quentyn

Really the only new thing they showed in Fallout 4 was that Minecraft build your own base stuff. And I didn't like that at all.

I hope they make that as least intrusive as possible.

I will be shocked if Fallout 4 doesn't make the list. They're still big fans of Bethesda games.

Things have changed a lot since the last open-world Bethesda game came out. Being a big open world isn't enough anymore like it was for Skyrim. FO4 is gonna need to do much more than FO3 did to be considered GOTY, especially this year where Witcher 3 and MGSV went way beyond just being open-world games.

I guess it might do enough to be in the 10 if its just a bigger and better 3, but not much higher unless they really does some great stuff with its world.

Heimbeck

Banned

I would be very suprised if I prefer Fallout to TW3, I feel like it will be the opposite for the GB crew.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Things have changed a lot since the last open-world Bethesda game came out. Being a big open world isn't enough anymore like it was for Skyrim. FO4 is gonna need to do much more than FO3 did to be considered GOTY, especially this year where Witcher 3 and MGSV went way beyond just being open-world games.

I guess it might do enough to be in the 10 if its just a bigger and better 3, but not much higher unless they really does some great stuff with its world.
Jetpacks man! And possibly space!

Its really hitting those high marks.

Myggen

I just think people are underestimating how much they all liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and overestimating how much it matters that Witcher 3 and MGSV and whatever has evolved the open world genre. Bethesda games are their own thing to such a big degree, and as long as it's not just Fallout 3.1 I think it's a lock for at least a top 10. They haven't turned on Skyrim and Fallout 3 to the degree that GAF has, and seems excited about more Fallout. We'll see I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Except the games that used the open world to create multiple approaches to a situation and ones where the world could dynamically change and effect the outcome of how you went about doing the mission. Even GTA 3 did that in 2001. Witcher 3's open world was 'go to place, kill thing, go to other place'

Wow, CDPR put lost treasure blips on their map. So revolutionary. And NPCs on a schedule? Wow. Someone tell Nintendo

Witcher 3 didn't do anything with its open world other than the side quests not being just text.

Now that's just not fair. Areas have their own local culture, landmarks and ruins have their own unique stories and history, monsters have territory and lairs.

I'm not saying the game redefines the genre, but let's not be reductive.

I just think people are underestimating how much they all liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and overestimating how much it matters that Witcher 3 and MGSV and whatever has evolved the open world genre. Bethesda games are their own thing to such a big degree, and as long as it's not just Fallout 3.1 I think it's a lock for at least a top 10.

You have a point. Most people's opinions of open world gaming have changed since the days of FO3 and Skyrim, but I know Dan has said a few times that he still really enjoys those games as well as the rest of the crew.

I don't like speculating much for a game that's not even out so all this could be pointless anyway.

Myggen

You have a point. Most people's opinions of open world gaming have changed since the days of FO3 and Skyrim, but I know Dan has said a few times that he still really enjoys those games as well as the rest of the crew.

I don't like speculating much for a game that's not even out so all this could be pointless anyway.

Yeah sure, but I generally feel like a lot of people on GAF think that the gaming public (if that's a thing) view Bethesda games in a much more negative light than they actually do. Threads about Bethesda games on GAF are filled with drive by posts and are generally extremely negative, while Skyrim continues to be one of the most played games on Steam and a top seller. Bethesda releases so few games that I think a lot of people will be okay with Fallout 3.5 even if the genre has evolved.

Also, since WItcher 3 didn't have a huge impact on most of the GB staff, whatever that game did to the open world genre probably passed them by.

I can foresee a possible filibuster in which Brad argues that Fallout 4 still has that intangible Bethesda "keeps track of a million useless items" Magic™ that gives it a pass for all of its obvious failings, but the others argue that open world games have taken such strides that it's not that impressive or special anymore.

Or not. Who knows.

I can foresee a possible filibuster in which Brad argues that Fallout 4 still has that intangible Bethesda "keeps track of a million useless items" Magic™ that gives it a pass for all of its obvious failings, but the others argue that open world games have taken such strides that it's not that impressive or special anymore.

Or not. Who knows.

Surely, Brad saves the filibuster for Destiny.

I saw my second vape rig out in the wild today. Both in the last five days. All of a sudden I'm noticing people using them. They both looked kind of like Will Smith
formerly
of Tested dot com.

I saw my second vape rig out in the wild today. Both in the last five days. All of a sudden I'm noticing people using them. They both looked kind of like Will Smith
formerly
of Tested dot com.

what

I see several every day. we have vape shops in like every other strip mall. and I live in the suburbs...

Fallout 4's reception is going to be interesting considering the fact that the Witcher 3 and MGSV came out this year. I don't expect it to be seen as a terrible game but I don't know that the Bethesda style open world will be enough for that game.

I still think that FO4's worst enemy isn't MGSV or TW3, it was Fallout New Vegas. The game really opened up the fallout 3 open world in such a way that anything less from FO4 would be a hell of a disappointment.

Knowing what they're doing with their dialogue system already, I'm not going to be shocked if the reception for FO4 isn't as hot as some expect.

I hope they do something good for GOTY videos.

This was their best feature they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkrG8dU3vBQ

This year and last year were my two favorite GOTY video weeks. I hope this year is good!

I still think that FO4's worst enemy isn't MGSV or TW3, it was Fallout New Vegas. The game really opened up the fallout 3 open world in such a way that anything less from FO4 would be a hell of a disappointment.

Knowing what they're doing with their dialogue system already, I'm not going to be shocked if the reception for FO4 isn't as hot as some expect.

I'd be so much more excited if Obsidian was developing 4

Megasoum

Banned
So I just finished the second Until Dawn video...

I have no idea where the story is going and I don't want to get spoiled but....

That flamethrower dude sure look an awful lot like Peter Stormer...

Except most peoples memory of New Vegas is from launch when it was a buggy mess. New Vegas is easily one of the best RPGs ever made yet it seemed to go ignored for the most part when it released and when it wasn't ignored most people seemed to be talking about how buggy it was.

strafer

So I just finished the second Until Dawn video...

I have no idea where the story is going and I don't want to get spoiled but....

That flamethrower dude sure look an awful lot like Peter Stormer...

heheh yeah, I was thinking that too. I hope its not.

Except most peoples memory of New Vegas is from launch when it was a buggy mess. New Vegas is easily one of the best RPGs ever made yet it seemed to go ignored for the most part when it released and when it wasn't ignored most people seemed to be talking about how buggy it was.

well we can't old FNV's feet to the buggy fire when we're talking about the possible issues that a new Bethesda game might have and not do the same to them.

Fallout 3 GOTY on the PS3 remains the buggiest, most broken piece of shit i've ever played in my whole life. no hyperbole, it was utter garbage

can't tell if people are being serious anymore with bringing up destiny

game is not eligible, yo

I bet you a thousand spacebucks that Destiny: TKK gets the number 10 minimum spot barring any technical catastrophes.

U0ADpDw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom