• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

This discussion about GOTY is making me realise that I should really play more Splatoon and Rocket League. Unfortunately I get the feeling that going back to them now could potentially be a bad time.

You're missing out GBeast are incredible.
Splatoon and Rocket League are both games where I am having fun despite losing. Dive in!

Myggen

handing Gamebryo to Obsidian was never going to end well, tbh. they made UE3 games that didn't run right. that's a feat.

Yeah, NV was literally unplayable for me at launch. I had more luck with Skyrim on PS3. That game just had so many game breaking bugs and it crashed constantly. I don't think I've ever played a game that broken before or after.

But yeah i could see a similar thing happening to Dark Souls III next year. It feels like From really milked that shit for what it's worth and regardless of how good DSIII ends up being people are going to want something new.

I expressed similar reservations in the GI DSIII cover story thread, and people were like check out some videos. They've made the game much faster, like Bloodborne, so my concerns have been assuaged for now.

Myggen

eYFhrML.png

so youre counter to that is, "it's less like this Souls game and it's more like this Souls game"

huh

Changing the combat is a significant shift in a Souls game, just like changing the writing style would be in a story based game like Fallout. And I know you'd be over the moon if FO4 was written more like New Vegas...but nothing will change because Bethesda operates under the (correct) impression that they don't really need to do anything radical to sell 15 million+ units. They are not hungry.

Also, consider that many of the people who play Souls haven't touched Bloodborne because it's an exclusive. Lots of PC and, I guess, Xbox only fans.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But yeah i could see a similar thing happening to Dark Souls III next year. It feels like From really milked that shit for what it's worth and regardless of how good DSIII ends up being people are going to want something new.

I was just thinking about this today. I'm a huge Souls fan with over 100 hours in every game in the series, some considerably more than that (Dark Souls 1 over 300 probably, all 3 platforms). And I *love* Bloodborne. But even I am starting to feel Souls fatigue, like I watched the latest DkS3 trailer again today and kind of felt... nothing.

I'm still waiting for someone to look at Satellite Reign too. That game looks amazing, just have too many games on my plate to get it at the moment.

On Twitter Austin put up a list of stuff he's played/wants to play and I think Sattellite Reign was under the section of stuff he'd played a little of so maybe a quicklook will pop up soon.

Xater

Quality doesn't sell games, big statistics and numbers do.

You don't have to tell me. That's why what I call checkbox design is way too prevalent these days.

Except most peoples memory of New Vegas is from launch when it was a buggy mess. New Vegas is easily one of the best RPGs ever made yet it seemed to go ignored for the most part when it released and when it wasn't ignored most people seemed to be talking about how buggy it was.

That is correct. I don't have quite as fond memories of New Vegas. I barely got to finish the game because it was so buggy at the end.

I remember playing New Vegas at launch without too many issues. Big exception was as your playtime increased, so did load times. Think you could fix it by just restarting your console?

Either way, finished it multiple times then.

Personally, i'm more than ready for a new traditional souls game. I could see why people could be burnt out on it, but i love those games to death.

Personally, i'm more than ready for a new traditional souls game. I could see why people could be burnt out on it, but i love those games to death.

I did the numbers on this recently

it's the 5 game in 6 years for the series if youre counting western releases

Demon's Souls 2010
Dark Souls 2011
Dark Souls II 2014
Bloodborne 2015
(Dark Souls II SOTFS 2015) a reworking of DSII with all DLC integrated. Not technically a new game
Dark Souls III 2016

The time between Demon's Souls original release and DS1 seemed fine as DSI had been out in japan what felt like an eternity before it came over, as was the time between DSI and DSII. However, the last 3 games coming so close to one another is leaving me fatigued with the series and I haven't even played DSII and BB yet. These games are amazing but also exhausting and damn near tortuous at times, putting them out like this and hoping i'm willing to do +40 hours of nerve-wracking slow tiptoe walking around surrounded by monsters every year is a bit much for me.

Demon's was 2009, not that it substantially alters your point. It's one game every two years + this thing a platform holder helped them make, which doesn't seem that egregious. It will feel like that, however, when Bloodborne II and a multiplatform sci-fi themed Souls game are announced next year.

I'm looking forward to a SOMA quicklook as I have no idea what to expect from that game. I'm not familiar with Amnesia so I'm not entirely sure how the developer presents story or how they handle progression.

I'm looking forward to a SOMA quicklook as I have no idea what to expect from that game. I'm not familiar with Amnesia so I'm not entirely sure how those games present story or how progression works.

When you break it down it doesn't sound great, but the scares are great and not cheap jump scares.

Gameplay and progression is a series of adventure game-like puzzles and problem solving. Story is conveyed through the environment and a lot of cryptic journal pages you find along the way. I loved Amnesia, but I do hope they expanded the scope of the gameplay and narrative. They've been working on it for long enough.

I did the numbers on this recently

it's the 5 game in 6 years for the series if youre counting western releases

Demon's Souls 2010
Dark Souls 2011
Dark Souls II 2014
Bloodborne 2015
(Dark Souls II SOTFS 2015) a reworking of DSII with all DLC integrated. Not technically a new game
Dark Souls III 2016

The time between Demon's Souls original release and DS1 seemed fine as DSI had been out in japan what felt like an eternity before it came over, as was the time between DSI and DSII. However, the last 3 games coming so close to one another is leaving me fatigued with the series and I haven't even played DSII and BB yet. These games are amazing but also exhausting and damn near tortuous at times, putting them out like this and hoping i'm willing to do +40 hours of nerve-wracking slow tiptoe walking around surrounded by monsters every year is a bit much for me.

Even if there's been a number of them in a short amount of years, each game feels very diverse compared to the last and are still very well designed. Unless the overall quality of the games starts consistently dropping, then i dont think theres an issue at all with the number of souls games dropping in a shorter span.

People that are burnt out can just wait and get them cheaper/patched up anyway so there's really no downside.

Myggen

When you break it down it doesn't sound great, but the scares are great and not cheap jump scares.

Gameplay and progression is a series of adventure game-like puzzles and problem solving. Story is conveyed through the environment and a lot of cryptic journal pages you find along the way. I loved Amnesia, but I do hope they expanded the scope of the gameplay and narrative. They've been working on it for long enough.

The genius of Amnesia is the sense of dread it creates, the amazing atmosphere. I would say that only System Shock 2 rivals it in that department. It's a masterpiece of suspense. The actual gameplay is so-so, but the atmosphere completely makes that game.

I like Fallout games. I look forward to another.

5EWEoEN.gif

Sounds good, I'd definitely really like to give SOMA a shot just because the setting looks rad.

It might also convince me to finally play Alien Isolation which is something I've put off for a while.

Now that Podcasts are a thing, can we talk about the ads? It's kinda weird to hear ads for sleazy shit like "fantasy draft" which is basically a lottery. Ads for stuff like audibles sorta made sense, and stamps.com is an early supporter (so I don't mind them so much), but its off-putting to hear these guys enthusiastically promoting stuff they clearly don't give a shit about. It's sorta like the Giant Beastcast discussion about how they are trading in their "authenticity" to make ads more appealing.

This shit can go down a dark fucking hole if they start promoting shit like pharmaceutical drugs or "cash for gold". Hopefully Giant Bomb, and other pod-casters have some sorta of policy about what kinda ads they will promote I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom