• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Now that Podcasts are a thing, can we talk about the ads? It's kinda weird to hear ads for sleazy shit like "fantasy draft" which is basically a lottery. Ads for stuff like audibles sorta made sense, and stamps.com is an early supporter (so I don't mind them so much), but its off-putting to hear these guys enthusiastically promoting stuff they clearly don't give a shit about. It's sorta like the Giant Beastcast discussion about how they are trading in their "authenticity" to make ads more appealing.

This shit can go down a dark fucking hole if they start promoting shit like pharmaceutical drugs or "cash for gold". Hopefully Giant Bomb, and other pod-casters have some sorta of policy about what kinda ads they will promote I guess.

Jeff has said that they can say no to ads on the podcast that they don't want to do. I'm guessing Draft King isn't over that line for Jeff. I'm not too bothered about those kind of ads.

Now that Podcasts are a thing, can we talk about the ads? It's kinda weird to hear ads for sleazy shit like "fantasy draft" which is basically a lottery. Ads for stuff like audibles sorta made sense, and stamps.com is an early supporter (so I don't mind them so much), but its off-putting to hear these guys enthusiastically promoting stuff they clearly don't give a shit about. It's sorta like the Giant Beastcast discussion about how they are trading in their "authenticity" to make ads more appealing.

This shit can go down a dark fucking hole if they start promoting shit like pharmaceutical drugs or "cash for gold". Hopefully Giant Bomb, and other pod-casters have some sorta of policy about what kinda ads they will promote I guess.

That's why Jeff calls himself Brett-- to make it clear that he's not personally endorsing the ads, but they help pay the bills so he's giving it air time. With the audio format the only ads people care about are the ones that the hosts read, so it's a necessary evil.

Let me clue you into a little-known trade secret: None of them give a shit about any of the things they're advertising. The whole joke of the ads is that they're acting super enthusiastic while plugging shit they don't care about.

And I wouldn't feel too sketchy about Draft Kings. They're pretty commonly advertised around podcasts, and still a few steps above the kind of dark hole you're picturing, which wouldn't happen anyway. Any really sketchy stuff like Cash 4 Gold or cheap drugs would just get shot down by the ad companies.

Hey, at least they not getting paid by Gawker.

love u patrick

Look for an Until Dawn stream on Thursday, or more likely Friday.

edit: Probably Thursday if Vinny's going out to LA on Friday?

Alex mentioned at the end that they might do more on Thursday but sounded like it wasn't set in stone and they would need to figure it out.

Hopefully Metal Gear Scanlon V will start on Friday.

Myggen

I am so confused. Why would Vinny travelling make UPF move to a different day?

Dan, Brad, Jeff and Vinny are travelling to LA to do a live Bombcast at the LA Podfest thing. They're travelling on Friday, the show is on Saturday. You'll have to pay like 20 bucks to watch the stream live, but they'll put up the audio version as a podcast after the fact.

Xater

Dan, Brad, Jeff and Vinny are travelling to LA to do a live Bombcast at the LA Podfest thing. They're travelling on Friday, the show is on Saturday. You'll have to pay like 20 bucks to watch the stream live, but they'll put up the audio version as a podcast after the fact.

Oh right the Podfest thing. Now everything makes sense again.

DamnBoxes

Best Moment or Sequence - Getting Monk'd

Tough competition in that group...

FM3WNsc.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
The video that device is based on is some of the funniest shit I've seen in a long time.

Yeah I know lol, it's great. I actually like Adam's reaction to it too (he also has another vide on twitter)... He's like a kid who just discovered the greatest thing ever.

Man this Blues & Bullets game looks awful. It's like they were trying to make a film noir-inspired game, but clearly lacked any understanding of what noir is, and so just relied on shitty dialogue and poorly-executed cliches.

The great thing about the bombcast ads, is that they make it super obvious that they are essentially acting and this isn't Jeff and Brad personally endorsing shit like draft kings. Lots of other podcasts ("how did this get made?" comes to mind) are a lot more cringe worthy in their advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom