• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I've gotten through the first chapter and now, while I wanna see where the story goes (or at least how it gets there. Damn spoilers) I find myself only doing the necessary missions. About 50 hours into the game and I kinda feel like I've seen all its tricks. No sour grapes on it, but all the "emergent gameplay" feels like a hundred ways to do something that I only end up doing one or two different ways.

LiK

MGSV would be great if I didn't have to wait so fucking long for the Combat Deployments and Base Expansions to complete. Dragging it out really badly.

I've gotten through the first chapter and now, while I wanna see where the story goes (or at least how it gets there. Damn spoilers) I find myself only doing the necessary missions. About 50 hours into the game and I kinda feel like I've seen all its tricks. No sour grapes on it, but all the "emergent gameplay" feels like a hundred ways to do something that I only end up doing one or two different ways.

Yup.

I think a lot of why I didn't enjoy the game is because I was eager to get to the ending and join the discussion. I overplayed it. I wasn't having a blast but I was forcing myself to play, so when I think back on it I don't really have positive memories.

MGSV would be great if I didn't have to wait so fucking long for the Combat Deployments and Base Expansions to complete. Dragging it out really badly.

Combat Deployments are on a timer so that you're not grinding a ton of GMP every single second. The MB expansion also doesn't really feel that bad considering its not something that has to happen right now, but I am sad about the R&D on weapons taking so long. 18 minutes I get, but its just depressing when it takes over an hour to upgrade a weapon.

LiK

Combat Deployments are on a timer so that you're not grinding a ton of GMP every single second. The MB expansion also doesn't really feel that bad considering its not something that has to happen right now, but I am sad about the R&D on weapons taking so long. 18 minutes I get, but its just depressing when it takes over an hour to upgrade a weapon.

i wish the timer kept going when i wasn't playing. better off just leaving the game idle, lol

When the game goes cheap on PC I'd definitely give it another playthrough
even if there's no platinum trophy in it for me.

i wish the timer kept going when i wasn't playing. better off just leaving the game idle, lol

Eh, I mean it really wouldn't solve the problem of being overpowered/rich too quickly, but I can agree on the timer working for weapons when its off.

Other than weapons though, resources processing takes for fucking ever, which it shouldn't considering I've beaten the game and just wanna build stuff. Its kind of what's turning me off from 100% since I'd just be sitting idle or doing pointless grinding most of the time.

LiK

When the game goes cheap on PC I'd definitely give it another playthrough
even if there's no platinum trophy in it for me.

Eh, I mean it really wouldn't solve the problem of being overpowered/rich too quickly, but I can agree on the timer working for weapons when its off.

Other than weapons though, resources processing takes for fucking ever, which it shouldn't considering I've beaten the game and just wanna build stuff. Its kind of what's turning me off from 100% since I'd just be sitting idle or doing pointless grinding most of the time.

yea, 18 min timer for the weapons is unnecessary.

Jintor

Yup.

I think a lot of why I didn't enjoy the game is because I was eager to get to the ending and join the discussion. I overplayed it. I wasn't having a blast but I was forcing myself to play, so when I think back on it I don't really have positive memories.

Nah... I mean, that doesn't help, but I think a lot of the game just... is... well, I don't want to say busywork exactly, since I enjoyed it a lot even if it wasn't memorable. But in terms of a Metal Gear game, a lot of it just plain doesn't matter, or provide the barest of plot points. Go kill this dude. Go extract these dudes. Oh he was a human trafficker and his guys were delivered here, weird. He's not a real character or anything though so don't worry about it. Go blow this up. Okay you did it but nothing is actually gonna change in-game even if it sets up some other thing later.

And it's not like Hitman Blood Money where essentially nothing actually mattered at all and it was just sandboxes for days. It's Metal Gear. And it doesn't feel like it at all.

that said I enjoy playing Metal Gear well enough that I'm redoing the missions to do objectives, get S-ranks etc since I have more options now, but this'll wear off soon enough.

Tamanon

Banned
I think MGScanlon might be annoying for Drew at first because the Grenades seem kinda weird to throw in it of all things. And he loves his grenades.

yami4ct

In MGSV, I can play Maneater while Quiet takes out an entire base for me. I think that more than qualifies it being in GOTY consideration.

I think MGScanlon might be annoying for Drew at first because the Grenades seem kinda weird to throw in it of all things. And he loves his grenades.

I can't wait for the enemies to adapt to his grenade play and start showing up in full riot suits. That's where the game shines, I think- forcing you to use tactics outside your comfort zone.

yami4ct

I can't wait for the enemies to adapt to his grenade play and start showing up in full riot suits. That's where the game shines, I think- forcing you to use tactics outside your comfort zone.

The adaptive AI and the combat mission counters are my favorite part of the game. Seeing enemies get helmets in response to my tranq pistol, only to get face masks to counter me hitting them in the face and finally full suits that make them near impossible to track was so interesting. I miss being able to easily tranq snipe a spotlight guard from a distance, though.

Lelcar

Vinny's been travelling a lot this year, and he hates travelling! A shame because he still hasn't done the most important trip of all, in my opinion, which is the GOTY trip.

yami4ct

smoke grenades are god

Now that I have to CQC a lot of enemies to take them out, I've become more and more appreciative of them. Target you need to extract stuck in a crowd of riot troops? Toss in a smoke grenade, fulton them and sneak away like a shadow.

Did Dan or Jeff call Mario Maker Expert fucked? Whoever, what an understatement. You're lucky to get a basic take a leap of faith onto this one-by-one block at the full distance of your jump level.

Jintor

Now that I have to CQC a lot of enemies to take them out, I've become more and more appreciative of them. Target you need to extract stuck in a crowd of riot troops? Toss in a smoke grenade, fulton them and sneak away like a shadow.

you feel like a real goddamn ninja the first time you chuck a nade into a crowd and just run in and grab the guy you need and run out again.

hamchan

Shitttttt yakuza 1 remake for ps4 in January, yakuza 6 in the fall

In Japan obv.

Japan seems to be putting big effort onto PS4, which makes me happy. This is either the glorious revival of Japanese gaming or the final gasp before it all dies and transforms 100% into mobile gaming land.

time to get on #buildingthelist

Maybe we can get time before the PS5 is out this time.

remember, the reason I started learning japanese was in an attempt to play imported RGG games :D

i've literally prepared myself for this exact situation.

anyway, the english guides for 0 are pretty good now if anyone cares

AcridMeat

Banned
I listened to Danswers for the second time, an episode I downloaded almost 4 months ago exactly. It's the one with the therapist, Stephanie (forgot her last name). My thought are about the same as when I tried listening when the show first started. I really enjoy listening to Danny, his outlook on life matches with mine in a lot of ways, but it's hard to take Dan seriously when it comes to any serious life choices. That said, I do agree with him about honest communication. It makes so many things easier.

That said, which episode has Paul Ryckert? I'd love to listen to that one.

yami4ct

No P5 is not a huge surprise, but I still wanted it. They have a huge stage. They weren't going to give up their big draw to Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom