• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

I bought King of Dragon Pass right after the quick look. It's really good, although I feel like I'm constantly doing something wrong. Someone from my clan was made king of my tribe and got assassinated during the crowing ritual thing. And then the next time I was king all the other clans formed a giant army and deposed me.

Anjin M

I bought King of Dragon Pass right after the quick look. It's really good, although I feel like I'm constantly doing something wrong. Someone from my clan was made king of my tribe and got assassinated during the crowing ritual thing. And then the next time I was king all the other clans formed a giant army and deposed me.
I've tried that game a couple of times and it is hard to get my head around. They purposefully hide the rule systems and force you to act solely on your understanding of Gloranthan culture. So until you pick that up which I have not, it can be a rough time.

2775696-5886646899-27739.jpg

After the announcement of the Arrow v Stardust thing and then Jon Stewart hosting, the "hey dude you should resub and it's totally free for the first month" WWE email I got recently pushed me over the edge to watch Summerslam tomorrow. I blame these jagoffs for this, until the last year or so I hadn't been at all tuned into any of this. (I also blame them for Heroes of the Storm currently downloading in freshly reinstalled Battlenet.)

I'm really regretting not pulling the trigger on PAX this year. I came awfully close when tickets went on sale a while back, but after sitting down and figuring out the entire cost of tickets/travel/hotel/etc I bailed out. I need to get better about being comfortable with dropping some money on a vacation once in a while.

After the announcement of the Arrow v Stardust thing and then Jon Stewart hosting, the "hey dude you should resub and it's totally free for the first month" WWE email I got recently pushed me over the edge to watch Summerslam tomorrow. I blame these jagoffs for this, until the last year or so I hadn't been at all tuned into any of this. (I also blame them for Heroes of the Storm currently downloading in freshly reinstalled Battlenet.)
If you're going to suffer through 3 hours of SummerSlam you should really take the time to watch NXT Brooklyn that aired tonight.

Xater

I'm really regretting not pulling the trigger on PAX this year. I came awfully close when tickets went on sale a while back, but after sitting down and figuring out the entire cost of tickets/travel/hotel/etc I bailed out. I need to get better about being comfortable with dropping some money on a vacation once in a while.

You should watch NXT Takeover instead.

Xater

So jelly, of Alex. I want a pic with Nakamura as well. Also I am still pissed I missed a local show with Tanahashi.

Rainmaker

Banned
Congrats to Alex for meeting one of the best of the best even if Tanahashi vs Nakamura at the G1 wasn't as technically sound as one would hope.

Rainmaker

Banned
how amazing was Sasha vs Bayley? Possibly the most important female wrestling match in WWE history. Match of The Year. Alex will agree eventually.

Rainmaker

Banned
It's one of the best, but I think it can't be the most important in WWE history purely based on it being on NXT.
I don't know. I think it being the best match in a long time (especially under the WWE banner) has to mean something for women in the business. That match was layers upon layers of perfection and I didn't think it would top Sasha vs Becky even though I've always been a huge believer when it comes to Bayley. The best part of that narrative? Bayley growing and overcoming even her biggest of fans odds played perfectly into the story. Honestly, one of the most beautiful moments in modern pro wrestling history to me. They both handled it magnificently. I've been a huge Owens fan for years upon years and honestly think this should've been the last match of the night. Fit for a Wrestlemania. Balor has the look, decent mic skills and an incredible gimmick but his in-ring work is often lackluster when in the ring with the workers he's paired against. I hope he rises out of that because I've ALWAYS wanted to be a huge fan of his.

I love NXT. Watching the show tonight and it's so hype. I still don't know which one is Blake and which one is Murphy.

No one does but one is clearly better than the other and Alexa Bliss is better than them both.

Jothel

Ooooh shit, forgot to listen to the Snakecast - listened to it 7 years ago with zero reference to anything... might make a bit more sense this time

I don't know. I think it being the best match in a long time (especially under the WWE banner) has to mean something for women in the business. That match was layers upon layers of perfection and I didn't think it would top Sasha vs Becky even though I've always been a huge believer when it comes to Bayley. The best part of that narrative? Bayley growing and overcoming even her biggest of fans odds played perfectly into the story. Honestly, one of the most beautiful moments in modern pro wrestling history to me. They both handled it magnificently. I've been a huge Owens fan for years upon years and honestly think this should've been the last match of the night. Fit for a Wrestlemania. Balor has the look, decent mic skills and an incredible gimmick but his in-ring work is often lackluster when in the ring with the workers he's paired against. I hope he rises out of that because I've ALWAYS wanted to be a huge fan of his.

It's an amazing match, but NXT lives in its own bubble separate from the rest of WWE. NXT women's matches have been great for a long time and they've made almost no impact on the greater scope of WWE. It's one of the best matches of the year in any company and the grand majority of their audience won't even know it happened unless they recap it on Summerslam, which at that point the audience won't understand why it might be important because there's no context for who Bayley is to them. Even with most of the great NXT women wrestlers on the main roster now, the "divas revolution" has been a mess from almost day one. Importance from NXT to WWE at large almost never transfers over.

Myggen

It's an amazing match, but NXT lives in its own bubble separate from the rest of WWE. NXT women's matches have been great for a long time and they've made almost no impact on the greater scope of WWE. It's one of the best matches of the year in any company and the grand majority of their audience won't even know it happened unless they recap it on Summerslam, which at that point the audience won't understand why it might be important because there's no context for who Bayley is to them. Even with most of the great NXT women wrestlers on the main roster now, the "divas revolution" has been a mess from almost day one. Importance from NXT to WWE at large almost never transfers over.

Yeah, watch WWE not give a fuck and continue shitting on the Divas division.

Xater

how amazing was Sasha vs Bayley? Possibly the most important female wrestling match in WWE history. Match of The Year. Alex will agree eventually.

Great, match, I do think people are overselling it though. We have seen better in NXT imo.

Problem number one is that it's called the Divas division.

Which division doesn't the WWE shit on? Their world heavyweight champ is a joke, the IC title is laughable and whilst they seemed to focus on building the US title with Cena they now have him gunning for the main title so it's not even being defended on one of the big 3.

hamchan

You won't get a real divas revolution on the main roster until the people running things over there are dead and pass the torch to the people running current NXT.

Which division doesn't the WWE shit on? Their world heavyweight champ is a joke, the IC title is laughable and whilst they seemed to focus on building the US title with Cena they now have him gunning for the main title so it's not even being defended on one of the big 3.

It's a title vs title match, winner takes all so technically the US title is on the line. I think injury stuff fucked them up a lot. The IC title should've gone the same say the US title did but when Bryan had to vacate again they clearly has no clue what to do.

Even with the NXT women in the picture the Divas division just doesn't have enough variety. Where's Natalya? She's one of the few on the main roster who has always been good. And I agree with the comment that the name of that division is a real big issue, it just shows the attitude they have to women's wrestling.

There was an honest effort this time around, but their weird vendetta to also erase AJ's record by keeping the title on Nikki Bella for 296+ days means everything has to work around it for at least another month. The only thing I can see coming out of this is Charlotte stopping her reign (because she's the most easily marketable) and maybe adding tag titles to make all the damn tag team matches make sense.

I wish changing the name of the division would help, but there are way bigger issues here. It embodies the issue more than being the issue itself.

Last nights NXT had a better big fight feel then a lot of wrestlemanias. For non wrestling fans / lapsed fans I can't encourage you enough to go check it out.

And the women's match was insane. Perfect in ring storytelling and the match itself was unquestionably a MOTY contender. Wrestling at its finest.

And yeah . super sad that main roster women's division will stay in the dark ages until some bigger changes take place backstage.

popo

Alex's girl is flicking the vee in that picture, that is not how you do the peace sign.

Also, some of y'all need to let it go on the spoiler thing. I understand some are more sensitive than others and it is reasonable to go out of your way to avoid spoilers - and expect others to be considerate to this end - but some jerk is likely going to spoil at least a few plot points, either deliberately or carelessly, and you know what - it will not be the end of the world.

Myggen

Alex's girl is flicking the vee in that picture, that is not how you do the peace sign.

Also, some of y'all need to let it go on the spoiler thing. I understand some are more sensitive than others and it is reasonable to go out of your way to avoid spoilers - and expect others to be considerate to this end - but some jerk is likely going to spoil at least a few plot points, either deliberately or carelessly, and you know what - it will not be the end of the world.

Obviously, but you can still, within reason, try to minimise the risk.

edit: Unfinished: Super Slam Dunk Touchdown starring Xavier Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom