• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
luv u mc

nah a few guys out there wrote some alternate takes on mgsv's story basically setting out the basic plot beats and rearranging and changing stuff and it just hurts because, fuck it, this is the game we have and that's that.

And posting them repeatedly and tweeting links to the post to Kojima and I'm just sitting there thinking "I am embarrassed for you. please stop."

I only just watched the 2015 Microsoft Gamescom show last night. Jeff had me cracking up when that fucking terrible esport Halo 5 section came on. Holy shit was that bad, one of the most cringe worthy presentations I have ever seen. Can't believe anybody thought that was a good idea.

So, what's the point if the LA Podfest show? You have to pay to see it live or else wait a month for the audio? I guess GB gets a kickback if people pay with the Bomb offer code. But I guess I wonder what Giant Bomb actually gets out of it.

squadr0n

That site was charging 25 bones for a stream too. I'd be pissed if I paid anything.

Yea I was just wondering what they are doing for people that cant get in. Glad I didnt pay but still kinda want to see what its all about.

On a side note, as much of a Metal Gear fan as Dan is I feel like he got alot of stuff wrong in the Spoilercast and almost just trys to be different for the sake of it. Without getting into spoilers, im pretty sure he does this just to get a reaction from listeners.

So, what's the point if the LA Podfest show? You have to pay to see it live or else wait a month for the audio? I guess GB gets a kickback if people pay with the Bomb offer code. But I guess I wonder what Giant Bomb actually gets out of it.

Exposure, I'd imagine. It's the same venue that WTF and various other The Famous Person Shows preform at. I feel like it's probably a first step to them moving away from exclusively doing live shows at PAXes.

They probably get paid to be there, just like music festivals.

yami4ct

Theyre just going to talk about VR for two hours anyway.

I get enough of that from Tested. I think it's time to call a moratorium on VR talk until something gets released and there's real progress. The tech is really cool, but the incessant focus it gets worries me. So much focus on what the hardware can do and not enough on what might be actually fun to do long term.

Lijik

I believe paying ahead of time gets you access to the archived versions during the first month as well.

Tubobutts

I've never played Destiny, I don't like console shooters, there is a 0% chance I would ever play online, and next week I'm going to fall down an NBA 2k hole which previously prevented me from finishing The Witcher, Bloodborne, and Dragon Age. Should I get Destiny?

I kind of want to get Destiny you guys.

Xater

I've never played Destiny, I don't like console shooters, there is a 0% chance I would ever play online, and next week I'm going to fall down an NBA 2k hole which previously prevented me from finishing The Witcher, Bloodborne, and Dragon Age. Should I get Destiny?

I kind of want to get Destiny you guys.

If you just want to play alone and not even coop, I would still not recommend it and I like the game.

Wunder

I never noticed before now that Vinny's linked website on his Twitter profile is his silly GB Wiki page. Well played.

Really good.

Should... Should I buy the pass? I kinda want a treasure trove of podcasts to listen to while d oing all these MGS Sideops...

Myggen

Should... Should I buy the pass? I kinda want a treasure trove of podcasts to listen to while d oing all these MGS Sideops...

I can't really vouch for the live stream working for you. It's worked for me for a couple of hours, but people are reporting problems. If you're into a lot of the podcasts and are willing to risk the live stream not working (you can still catch the archives), go for it. It's worth it for me.

Offer code Bomb to get it for 20 bucks.

yami4ct

Because despite all that, I still kind of want to get Destiny. But hearing that it's not worth it if you're playing alone will probably be what stops me.

If you're going to play alone, don't buy it. A lot of the best content in that game has to be done with a group. It's not a single player game. It's an MMO without a subscription.

def sim

Because despite all that, I still kind of want to get Destiny. But hearing that it's not worth it if you're playing alone will probably be what stops me.

It'll only be a relatively short and expensive distraction without friends or groups from LFG sites to play with. Play something else until 2K comes out!

As long as you're aren't entirely against playing with other people then you can still play it. I've put around 100 hours into it and have never played with anyone other than randoms.

popo

Exposure, I'd imagine. It's the same venue that WTF and various other The Famous Person Shows preform at. I feel like it's probably a first step to them moving away from exclusively doing live shows at PAXes.

They probably get paid to be there, just like music festivals.

Not only is it exposure to a wider audience, even more than the type that will go to a PAX, but it is free exposure.

I have no idea what the deal is but I imagine a flat fee and referral bonus based on streaming sales that at least covers domestic flights, hotel and expenses. In return they agree not to post their own feed for a month. I mean, I bet it all turns up on youtube sooner anyway.

Seems like a decent enough deal.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was great in theaters. But really, when you're going to the movies and are reserving a seat, why would you--in a mostly empty theater--pick seats right fucking next to another reserved seat? I mean, just leave one seat between us! I even sit closer than most people like to so this doesn't happen, but they always find me.

BearPawB

Banned
Raiders of the Lost Ark was great in theaters. But really, when you're going to the movies and are reserving a seat, why would you--in a mostly empty theater--pick seats to be right fucking next to another reserved seat? I mean, just leave one seat between us! I even sit closer than most people like to so this doesn't happen, but they always find me.

Can't you just move too? I don't live in a place with reserved seating. But if it's not full is it really enforced?

Myggen

From /r/giantbomb:

imDWewN.png

Can't you just move too? I don't live in a place with reserved seating. But if it's not full is it really enforced?

Well, kind of. I had already put an order in, which will be brought to me seat. I like to be centered, too, which is why I bought my ticket a week ago. It doesn't ruin my experience, and this time the people seemed very pleasant, but I just don't know why you would be looking at a mostly empty seating chart, and be like "Let's sit next to that guy going to the movies by himself!"

From /r/giantbomb:

(radio noise)

Boss, that's a Giant Anaconda.

BOSS YOU NEED TO PICK IT UP, AND PUT IT IN A CAGE

TRUST ME BOSS THIS IS AMAZING

ALRIGHT BOSS NOW GO AND THROW THE CAGE AT THAT SOLDIER OVER THERE THIS IS GOING TO RULE

AHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU TOTALLY SPOOKED HIM

(radio noise)

(radio noise)

FUUUUuuuUUUuuuUUUUUCK YOOOOU

(radio noise)

popo

If anyone had any doubt left of what would be the GB 2015 GOTY, I present this exchange from the snakecast.

Excepting a miracle out of nowhere, y'all should all be debating the remaining 9 games that make the list.

Brad: "It (MGS5) is still the best game I have played this year by a mile."

Dan: "Yes. Yes."

Brad : "I still think it is one of the best games, mechanically, I have ever played."

Dan: "Same here."

Jason: "It's totally up there."

Jeff : "It's fantastic."
Brad: "I think it is one of the best games, design wise, in history."

Brad sure likes his hyperbole. i can see the discussion going something like:

Vinny : I really liked The Witcher 3."

Alex : Let me make a case for Splatoo..."

[cuts him off]

Brad: "Yo, Alex, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of the best games of all time! One of the best games of all time!"

Bacon

If anyone had any doubt left of what would be the GB 2015 GOTY, I present this exchange from the snakecast.

Excepting a miracle out of nowhere, y'all should all be debating the remaining 9 games that make the list.

Brad sure likes his hyperbole.

Yeah seems pretty cut and dry. They very rarely talk about games in this way and even when they do, they're almost never in such agreement over it.

It's not my personal game of the year but I it's definitely in my top 3 and that's purely based on mechanics. Ultimately, it's unfortunate that the story was so poorly handled, but in the end I'm happy that the gameplay was virtually never interrupted with cutscenes.

I've got about 8 hours of collective Bomb/Beastcast listening to do before I get caught up finally... I'm going to try and not get this far behind again. Time to find a good grindy game to play.

Brad: "I think it is one of the best games, design wise, in history."

A bit much.

I'd argue for the mechanics, but there are quite a few poor design decisions in my mind. The fact that I feel a desire to keep the game running while I'm not playing is a big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom