• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Brad: "I think it is one of the best games, design wise, in history."

A bit much.

Is it when it's his opinion? I think most people will agree that the gameplay is absolutely fantastic, and so is the design around it.He might like it more than most people, but I don't regard that as an outrageous statement. He's articulated pretty clearly why he thinks that's the case: He thinks the gameplay is some of the best action gameplay he's ever played, and that it does the "approach this situation in X different ways" better than pretty much all other open world games while having extremely detailed and well thought-out mechanics. It seems to me that that's the part of the game he's praising the most.

I think the game has by far the best gameplay of any open world game I've played, no question. And I just love playing the game. So that part of the game is no question one of the best of its kind in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the Mother Base aspect of the game though.

do you think it was intended for miller to be as disliked as he is in this game? he doesn't really even "do" anything in the game except be a whiny nanny over the radio
I think so, he's not exactly written in a way that would make a player like him. I think the idea was supposed to be that you're seeing a divide come between him and Snake, it's just handled rather poorly as it all feels rushed. You basically go from him saying that Snake and him are going to mess some shit up and then you very quickly jump to him getting pissy at Snake over the decisions that he makes.

For what it's worth I actually think Miller is the best character in the game, despite being a huge asshole.

Brad: "I think it is one of the best games, design wise, in history."

A bit much.
Sounds right to me. MGSV's gameplay is so tight that it's baffling that it's even a Metal Gear game, there a stupid amount of depth to it's gameplay and it encourages experimentation like no other open world game does.

It's also his own opinion so what does it really matter if he thinks that.

I'd be hard pressed to name 10 better games that play as well as MGSV, it feels spot on, the options are damn near limitless, and rewards and encourages creativity. Brad's right.

popo

Is it when it's his opinion? I think most people will agree that the gameplay is absolutely fantastic, and so is the design around it.He might like it more than most people, but I don't regard that as an outrageous statement. He's articulated pretty clearly why he thinks that's the case: He thinks the gameplay is some of the best action gameplay he's ever played, and that it does the "approach this situation in X different ways" better than pretty much all other open world games while having extremely detailed and well thought-out mechanics. It seems to me that that's the part of the game he's praising the most.

Well yeah, his opinion and my opinion. He is entitled to his and mine is that it is an exaggeration. Not outrageous, just "a bit much".

I mean the guys, Brad included, totally over hyped Mordor's nemesis system too - so there is precedent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Caught up on the UPF. Or UPT with two things to say.

1. Tron Evolution is a shitty, buggy mess and one of the worst games on the console
2. Dead Rising 2 is a good game and doesn't get the credit it deserves. Especially on PC.

Capcom really REALLY needs to port DR 1 to PC.

Very fun imo. Free as well.

Well if Bomb Corp. is similar, then we should be in for a treat. Giant Bomb has at least played all of Jackbox Games' most recent games (Fibbage, Jackbox Party Pack, and Quiplash). The cool thing (and I'm surprised it took them this look to implement it) is, starting with Quiplash, they know have a DLC system. Quiplash's first pack came out last week. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard that JBPP2 could be a "hub" for future games. I wished they would've had that with JBPP1. I would've preferred that Quiplash could be started from within it, but it had to be a standalone game since they did not have a system in place. Now it seems they will starting with JBPP2.

Brad sure likes his hyperbole. i can see the discussion going something like:

Vinny : I really liked The Witcher 3."

Alex : Let me make a case for Splatoo..."

[cuts him off]

Brad: "Yo, Alex, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of the best games of all time! One of the best games of all time!"

What games has Alex really enjoyed this year? The only two I recall him really talking for length about are Rocket League and Until Dawn. Could they rank really highly for him?

Caught up on the UPF. Or UPT with two things to say.

1. Tron Evolution is a shitty, buggy mess and one of the worst games on the console
2. Dead Rising 2 is a good game and doesn't get the credit it deserves. Especially on PC.

Capcom really REALLY needs to port DR 1 to PC.

I'm generally against the "previous generation game but remastered" trend, but I would make an exception for Dead Rising. Probably in the top 5 best games of the last generation for me.

When did they bring up Dead Rising, though?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm generally against the "previous generation game but remastered" trend, but I would make an exception for Dead Rising. Probably in the top 5 best games of the last generation for me.

When did they bring up Dead Rising, though?

Jason said Dead Rising Off The Record was one of the few games he had all the achievements in. And Brad said Dead Rising 2 was a really great game. And Jeff had an amazing reaction to the Dead Rising movie existing and already being released earlier this year.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is the only one I don't have all the achievements in.

Hell, I did 7 Day Survivor on two different occasions.

The second time was to get on the leaderboards since I did the first one offline. I went for 10 days.

hamchan

If anyone had any doubt left of what would be the GB 2015 GOTY, I present this exchange from the snakecast.

Excepting a miracle out of nowhere, y'all should all be debating the remaining 9 games that make the list.

[cuts him off]

Brad: "Yo, Alex, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of the best games of all time! One of the best games of all time!"

It's not hyperbole when he's right.

I think it depends on the person, but I never really feel comfortable calling anything "the best ever".

At the same time, I think it's pointless to put up old "classic" things on a pedestal. New movies, games, music can become just as good as the "classics".

Myggen

Dude, the role of Frank West is played by Rob Riggle.

The direction they take the character leaves a lot to be desired, but that's some inspired casting.

Haha, that's pretty great. Thinking about it I think I remember being shocked when I heard they were making a Dead Rising movie when it was in production. Dead Rising could be the basis of a pretty great B-movie with cheap gore and corny humor, but I'm guessing this isn't it.

I think it depends on the person, but I never really feel comfortable calling anything "the best ever".

When we're just talking about personal opinions I have no problems talking in those terms. I think Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, to give one example.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why make a Dead Rising movie
dawn_of_the_dead-1.jpg

when it already exists?

There's a Dead Rising movie?!

I must've missed that part of UPF/UPT.

It's on Crackle, Sony's streaming site. I don't know if it's available outside of the US. Everything I've ever seen on Crackle has been free (via ad support). Among Dead Rising Watchtower, Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser also premiered on it, which is not much a surprise as Joe Dirt was produced by Happy Madison, Adam Sandler's production company that works almost exclusively with Sony Pictures (though with the performance of Pixels, who knows how much longer that will last?).

Lijik

Haha, that's pretty great. Thinking about it I think I remember being shocked when I heard they were making a Dead Rising movie when it was in production. Dead Rising could be the basis of a pretty great B-movie with cheap gore and corny humor, but I'm guessing this isn't it.

What I watched of the movie (i should really finish watching it one day) was enjoyable enough. Theres some fun cheesy references to the games - at one point the protagonist finds a Frank West statue just laying around the quarantined city.

It's on Crackle, Sony's streaming site. I don't know if it's available outside of the US. Everything I've ever seen on Crackle has been free (via ad support). Among Dead Rising Watchtower, Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser also premiered on it, which is not much a surprise as Joe Dirt was produced by Happy Madison, Adam Sandler's production company that works almost exclusively with Sony Pictures (though with the performance of Pixels, who knows how much longer that will last?).

pixels did 200 million at the box office, what are you talking about

killroy87

I'll echo everyone's sentiments that for me to be as into MGSV as I am is a testament to how impeccably designed it must be. I've played every other title to some degree, but I'm actively addicted to this. It's rare that my attention span will but more than 15 hours into any game, but I'm 24 hours strong into MGSV and still want more.

pixels did 200 million at the box office, what are you talking about

$200 million worldwide on a close to $100 mil production budget (just production, not marketing) is a failure. It might make it's money back, but it 100% fell way, wayyyyyyyy short of what Sony wanted.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If anyone had any doubt left of what would be the GB 2015 GOTY, I present this exchange from the snakecast.

Excepting a miracle out of nowhere, y'all should all be debating the remaining 9 games that make the list.

[cuts him off]

I thought Vinny has barely played the witcher 3?

tuxfool

Banned
I thought Vinny has barely played the witcher 3?

Yeah, he hasn't, probably won't.

It is going to be interesting to hear them talk about the game when most of them have barely played it. It will be the same as DA:I, where they simply couldn't talk about any aspect of the game cogently to justify its position.

I really think Austin fits in great but I don't think I can fully understand how a member of the crew fits in until I hear them on a GOTY podcast. I wonder what Austin will be like. Looking at his previous lists, he likes weird niche games which should be fun. I hope he actually fights for those though. I don't want him to be like Patrick who would bring up a niche game just to bring it up and drop it completely. I want to hear Austin spitting some fire for his favourite game.

I suspect that Witcher 3 conversations will involve a lot of griping about movement controls and semi-accurate talk about patches breaking the game (I seem to recall Brad calling the game borderline unplayable on PS4 at one point), but I do think it will make it in the top 5.

My Totally Baseless Conjecture on the top five is Splatoon, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Super Mario Maker, and MGSV.

EDIT: Last minute change.

I suspect that Witcher 3 conversations will involve a lot of griping about movement controls and semi-accurate talk about patches breaking the game (I seem to recall Brad calling the game borderline unplayable on PS4 at one point), but I do think it will make it in the top 5.

My Totally Baseless Conjecture on the top five is Axiom Verge, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Super Mario Maker, and MGSV.

Axiom Verge making it would be so cool, but the only person I can remember really raving about it was Jeff. Did anyone else play it?

The Witcher 3 is my GOTY so far but the patch that prevented you getting experience sounds close to being borderline unplayable. Maybe it's a bit harsh but a lot of people did stop playing when that was happening. I didn't even have the game at that point so I wasn't affected by it but it does sound a bit shit.

hamchan

Yeah, he hasn't, probably won't.

It is going to be interesting to hear them talk about the game when most of them have barely played it. It will be the same as DA:I, where they simply couldn't talk about any aspect of the game cogently to justify its position.

I think it says something about how compelling they found The Witcher 3 to be if none of them could finish it when they had a whole summer drought to do so. Comparatively they managed to finish MGSV in week, in a fairly busy period too, with play times from 55-100+ hours.

Myggen

I think it says something about how compelling they found The Witcher 3 to be if none of them could finish it when they had a whole summer drought to do so. Comparatively they managed to finish MGSV in week, in a fairly busy period too, with play times from 55-100+ hours.

Yup. Dan will finish Witcher 3, but he too fell off that game after playing it for a while.

I can see Brad pulling for BB since it was good enough to get him to chase that plat

But I can see him having to choose between TTK and BB for the game that he sneaks into the top ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom