• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

So The Witcher 3 is so good you haven't finished it yet, but Metal Gear is so bad you just had to complete it to get that bad taste?

I mean, Witcher 3 is unequivocally a better game than MGSV. It's more complete, more robust, more interesting, and exponentially better written. I stopped playing TW3 out of hype for MGSV, not necessarily out of lack of interest. Now that I've seen all MGSV really has to offer and how many things it does poorly, I'm ready to get back into a game that doesn't feel rushed out the door.

that SWAT video is so goddamn good, one of the more underrated videos on the site. that and Daggerfall and Outcast are just extended videos of Dave slowly losing his mind at the hands of clunky/bad game design. and occasionally overcoming adversity.

Myggen

I mean, Witcher 3 is unequivocally a better game than MGSV. It's more complete, more robust, more interesting, and exponentially better written. I stopped playing TW3 out of hype for MGSV, not necessarily out of lack of interest. Now that I've seen all MGSV really has to offer and how many things it does poorly, I'm ready to get back into a game that doesn't feel rushed out the door.

My main problem with Witcher 3 is that it felt like a chore to play. I just didn't like the combat at all, or any part of the gameplay that wasn't Gwent. The writing is amazing for a game, but I'd prefer to read Witcher 3 as a novel. Despite some of the story failings of MGSV it's one of the best playing games I've ever played, so I much prefer MGSV.

You know what's a great game to wash the taste of Metal Gear out of your mouth? The Witcher 3.

I'm on the final bit of it, I think. Been meaning to beat it for a while.

Unfortunately, I washed the great taste of The Witcher 3 out with the bad taste of MGSV. Hopefully, the next game I buy will correct that.

Wunder

My main problem with Witcher 3 is that it felt like a chore to play. I just didn't like the combat at all, or any part of the gameplay that wasn't Gwent. The writing is amazing for a game, but I'd prefer to read Witcher 3 as a novel. Despite some of the story failings of MGSV it's one of the best playing games I've ever played, so I much prefer MGSV.

Agree. I found myself struggling to continue with the combat in Witcher 3. I love the quests and the story but the inventory management and combat feel tedious to me.

Myggen

Agree. I found myself struggling to continue with the combat in Witcher 3. I love the quests and the story but the inventory management and combat feel tedious to me.

Yeah. It feels like Mass Effect 1 to me where I loved the story and the world but hated playing the actual game. Witcher might be a top 10 game for me this year, but probably not. I hated that game near the end despite everything it does right.

ArjanN

Cosigned. Sam is a total Mary Sue.
Nothing interesting about her whatsoever and she doesn't seem to actually have a relationship with any of the other characters in the game. Totally feels like they inserted her into it well after most of the story was already written and the game made, with Mike being the obvious protagonist for most of it. Wouldn't surprise me if that's how it went down.

She's not a Mary Sue, that's an entirely different trope. She's just the typical teen slasher 'heroine', similar to how these movies always star a bunch of stereotypes like the bitch, the jock, the stoner, etc. The heroine characters are often kind of bland because the other characters have to have big obvious character flaws since honestly they're only there to be killed in various colorful ways.

valeo

Except for the fact that it's absolutely boring to play, of course. Great story, good characters etc but if a game isn't good to actually play then it will not hold my interest.

Sooo I'm messing around with the QL Crew site and... the filtering and sorting seems to not work at all. Any time I put any filter on, it just shows the latest videos.

[EDIT] As it turns out, I'm just a dummy. I had to scroll down a bit and hit GO. I didn't think I had to, since the page auto-refreshes whenever you hit a new filter.

tuxfool

Banned
Sooo I'm messing around with the QL Crew site and... the filtering and sorting seems to not work at all. Any time I put any filter on, it just shows the latest videos.

[EDIT] As it turns out, I'm just a dummy. I had to scroll down a bit and hit GO. I didn't think I had to, since the page auto-refreshes whenever you hit a new filter.

Yeah. It's a bit confusing in that aspect. If you have to hit GO to reverse the order (or shuffle) then there shouldn't be a button above the video list. The list shouldn't refresh before hitting GO either.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Will the McElroys live podcasts be available without the LA Podfest pass?

It might be worth it to get an MBMBAM, Adventure Zone, and Bombcast all.

t1442808000z0.png

Yeah. It's a bit confusing in that aspect. If you have to hit GO to reverse the order (or shuffle) then there shouldn't be a button above the video list. The list shouldn't refresh before hitting GO either.
Yes! Exactly. The site is certainly function over form, which is more important. I'm sure they'll get there though.

Can't wait! I'm staying up late to watch it. I doubt I'll finish it though.

Exactly how I felt. I'll take gameplay over game story any time because to be painfully honest no game story has ever been close to book or film quality story telling. In my opinion of course. You do get games that know how to tell a story knowing the limitations and strengths of story telling in games, like Brothers or The Last of Us or even something like Until Dawn. Stretching a story out over a very long game leads to it being completely disjointed, with bad pacing issues, even if you do mainline the story missions. The constant need to add gameplay and combat is always going to be an issue with dialogue heavy games like The Witcher, especially if those elements aren't the best. If you're invested in that world though these problems will be negated somewhat obviously.

Wunder

Yes! Exactly. The site is certainly function over form, which is more important. I'm sure they'll get there though.

Can't wait! I'm staying up late to watch it. I doubt I'll finish it though.

I really wanna stay up too and order some takeaway but I have a bunch of stuff in the morning that I should probably be awake for

Well I finished the story portion of MGS V, earlier, so I can go ahead and listen to the podcast.
I'm pretty sure Dan didn't finish the game before Drew played the prologue, which I think is a good thing because I don't think he would have been able to completely contain himself.

Well I finished the story portion of MGS V, earlier, so I can go ahead and listen to the podcast.
I'm pretty sure Dan didn't finish the game before Drew played the prologue, which I think is a good thing because I don't think he would have been able to completely contain himself.

He knew the ending beforehand anyway.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anybody who has caught it previously is almost guaranteed to catch it again now.

I just saw him on twitter talking about legendary marks, so I guess it's a safe bet.

I might finally take the plunge if just for a lack of anything else beyond the Cities Skylines expansion grabbing my attention right now.

Will the McElroys live podcasts be available without the LA Podfest pass?

It might be worth it to get an MBMBAM, Adventure Zone, and Bombcast all.
During the adventure zone stream Griffin told the others that they better not die this episode since most listeners will never hear it. So maybe not?

QLCrew.com does community created time stamps now. I added some timestamps for that stand-up comedy indie mess they had on a TNT.

http://qlcrew.com/?anyone=anyone&vid_type=live&q=&game=Comedy+Night&hlt=any&per_page=15

Their best video page seems to work pretty well too

http://qlcrew.com/?best

This is great, pretty much exactly what I wanted. Having a problem with the best video section though,whenever I try to go to page 2 it just shows me the list of latest videos. It is in beta though.

hamchan

Pretty much how I feel. I even feel like just putting the difficulty down to easy in The Witcher 3 because I don't even want to bother with the combat at all, which is what I did for The Witcher 2 too.

When a game feels so bad to play that the gameplay seems like a roadblock to get to the story stuff rather than something fun in itself, then that instantly lowers its rating in my eyes.

I loved playing The Witcher 3. Learning the behaviors of the monsters was satisfying(reminded me of Monster Hunter at times). I would put it way above MGS 5 and I'm a gameplay>story person.

Harpuia

I wonder if Metal Gear Scanlon V's first video is gonna be the intro. Kinda hoping we see some shenanigans during the Kaz rescue mission.

So I'm starting to understand why some people want DLC
or think the MGSV shouldn't have had a Chapter 2.
The story is really shitting the bed now, also fuck Huey.
mgsv stuff

Bacon

MGSV has really overstayed it's welcome with me. I felt like it could have ended after chapter 1 and I would have been totally fine with that. I don't feel compelled by the prospect of playing >10 hours more of this to see the end of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom