• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the first episode? Won't be able to watch it for a few more hours

It's 60% prologue and then 40% Drew trying to understand the controls and mechanics of the game. The back half is not too interesting gameplaywise, but Drew seems to be understanding controls well which will make things fun going forward.

Phatmac

I'm with Dan. MGSV has taken over my life like no other game. I still haven't beaten it because I want to do everything in it. Such a wonderful game.

Vinter

"This is probably the best action game I've ever played"

"Top ten games of all time"

~one week after mgs5 comes out

also, we get it, it's like face off.

It is easily one of the best action games I have ever played in terms of pure gameplay. Even Brad is really excited about this game, and he usually seems so contained.

Without spoiling me or giving me specifics...can someone please give me a general idea on what I need to have completed of MGS5 before listening to the Giant SnakeCast?

Is it all the Main Missions? I'm 72% complete of the main missions, so I presume once I'm done with that?
I've seen the end credits roll once, I presume that's not enough? Just a simple "No that's not enough" will suffice

I'm desperate to hear the guys talk about the game, especially after how awesome their 1:30 hour chat was 2 weeks ago. I'm kind of rushing for completion for a damn podcast :p

Without spoiling me or giving me specifics...can someone please give me a general idea on what I need to have completed of MGS5 before listening to the Giant SnakeCast?

Is it all the Main Missions? I'm 72% complete of the main missions, so I presume once I'm done with that?
I've seen the end credits roll once, I presume that's not enough? Just a simple "No that's not enough" will suffice

I'm desperate to hear the guys talk about the game, especially after how awesome their 1:30 hour chat was 2 weeks ago. I'm kind of rushing for completion for a damn podcast :p

No you're not quite there yet. You will know when you're done.

So how are they going to release these now? Two episodes a week or one episode each day?

The fact Ep1 was technically a Monday upload makes me think Mon, Wen, Fri uploads might happen. I think 5 a weeks is asking for too much from them.

I guess we will see what is happening over the course of the week,

Scizzy

Good for Dan that he loved the game so much. But to be calling MGSV one of the very greatest games of all time when:

1. The story is super dumb.
2. It's the most blatantly unfinished AAA game in recent memory.
3. There are two women with on screen speaking parts in the game. Neither wears any clothes.
4. There are 2.5 compelling characters in the game, one of whom is a dog.
5. The villain is dreadful in every respect: design, voice acting, story motivations, etc.
6. The protagonist never speaks, leaving him mute in the silliest, least compelling ways. There's a drawn out story moment near the end of chapter 1 that is among the most awkward in recent memory because Keifer just won't open his mouth.
7. It somehow makes Ocelot boring.

I feel like 2-4 and 6-7 are very difficult to disagree with. And I adored the mechanics and I'll have no complaints if it's game of the year. But, man, what if this game was actually finished? What would Dan's praise be like then?

Good for Dan that he loved the game so much. But to be calling MGSV one of the very greatest games of all time when:

3. There are two women with on screen speaking parts in the game. Neither wears any clothes.
5. The villain is dreadful in every respect: design, voice acting, story motivations, etc.
6. The protagonist never speaks, leaving him mute in the silliest, least compelling ways. There's a drawn out story moment near the end of chapter 1 that is among the most awkward in recent memory because Keifer just won't open his mouth.

I feel like 2-4 and 6-7 are very difficult to disagree with. And I adored the mechanics and I'll have no complaints if it's game of the year. But, man, what if this game was actually finished? What would Dan's praise be like then?

I agree with all of this, but none of this makes it any less of an amazing game to me.

The Witcher 3 blows MGSV out of the water on its sidequests alone. As a complete product, there's just no contest.

I'll give MGSV the edge in its mission design, though. They did impressive work as far as variety is concerned. (Which I guess explains the mission count and overall size of the 'overworld.')

All that said, it's a half-decent Metal Gear game hand-crafted (and then dropped) by Kojima so of course Dan loves it. Considering his love of the series, I'd find it odd if he didn't.

Jintor

I think skullface as written is rad. He's a creepy stage actor dude basically.

the problem is that he's most interesting in casettes and he never really gets anybody to bounce off character-wise in cutscenes so he comes across as hamming it up to a mute dude who never responds

The fact he calls an unfinished game one of the best of all time is insane to me anyway.

Fuck off with this. As Jeff said on the spoilercast, you have to look at the game outside of all the "cut content." Guess what, stuff gets cut from games all the time and this is probably the only one that people have seriously taken and run with because they're so desperate.

No.

Maybe they wouldn't be so desperate for more, if there wasn't so little there in the first place.

I've sunk almost 60 hours in and am halfway done with the game according to the counter. There's plenty here.

Liamc723

Fuck off with this. As Jeff said on the spoilercast, you have to look at the game outside of all the "cut content." Guess what, stuff gets cut from games all the time and this is probably the only one that people have seriously taken and run with because they're so desperate for more.

No.

Maybe they wouldn't be so desperate for more, if there wasn't so little there in the first place.

Liamc723

I've sunk almost 60 hours in and am halfway done with the game according to the counter. There's plenty here.

Looking at MGSV and saying "so little" referring to anything just seems insane to me.

Some people are going to be mad come GOTY time...

I'm talking in terms of the story. MGS V's story is an utter joke compared to the previous 4.

For gameplay, there's a lot there if you enjoy repeating the same side-ops over and over again, I guess.

Wunder

I'm talking in terms of the story. MGS V's story is an utter joke compared to the previous 4.

For gameplay, there's a lot there if you enjoy repeating the same side-ops over and over again, I guess.

Weren't you the dude that was defending Destiny fervently when that came up in this thread again?

MGS V Spoiler:
I assumed Ishmael had something to do with the ending twist, since he was voiced by Kiefer Sutherland and specifically mentioned that he was looking over him for the last 9 years. However, my assumption was that he was a hallucination, actually a part of Snake's personality that was destroyed during the incident. I thought they would use that to justify his dark turn and that was how they would justify the big changes in his personality. The thing is, in game, he never does actually take a dark turn.

There's a lot in MGS V but most of the extra content is extremely repetitive. There is literally
one
real boss battle in the game and barely any new situations introduced. It's filler quest design saved by incredible mechanics and changing enemy patterns.

It's not surprising that the crew wouldn't care or notice though given their love for games like Far Cry 3 and Saints Row.

Good to see that you're clearly willing to listen to other peoples opinions instead of stupidly dismissing them.

Flipyap

Fuck off with this. As Jeff said on the spoilercast, you have to look at the game outside of all the "cut content." Guess what, stuff gets cut from games all the time and this is probably the only one that people have seriously taken and run with because they're so desperate.
Stuff gets cut, but games don't usually feel like they were cobbled together at the last minute, like they were assembled from scattered pieces that don't quite fit together.
I've never played a game or seen a work of creative art (whose creators survived the creation process) that felt so much like it was pushed out the door while they were still figuring out how to make it work.

Halo 2 was the previous most famous story of troubled game development and that game's final state doesn't even compare to the state MGSV shipped in.
This game's production is a fascinating disaster, and it absolutely shows in the final product. I don't see what there is to gain by pretending that it's business as usual. It's not, and that's what makes its otherwise broken structure interesting to talk about, rather than a simple design fuck up (which probably should be inexcusable if you try to judge the game as its a complete product) .

Yet it plays like a fucking dream.

It's like Kojima created the design doc on opposite day

Liamc723

Good to see that you're clearly willing to listen to other peoples opinions instead of stupidly dismissing them.

I am willing, and I think it's great that some people are getting enjoyment out of the game, but to get at least 60 hours out of the game, you're not just playing the story missions. You're playing the repetitive side-ops, and I don't like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom