• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with everyone's gamepad having problems? Mine still works fine and I've put a lot of abuse into it. Do they have the consoles on the other end of the house or something?

Ha, I knew that Bowser hitting the P block after Patrick tossed it away would happen. Once he learns there's a cape in this level he's going to lose it.

Probably read a comment on the tablet.

He saw that part on stream, but turned it off after apparently.

They've gotta watch the archive of this on UPF tomorrow.

EDIT: Great how the best thing about this level (Bowser chasing you, hitting the P-Blocks if you're not quick enough) is totally unintended.

omgkitty

I can't tell if Patrick is actually really bad at this or if it just feels that way because I know how the level is set up. He hasn't looked in the row of blocks with the feather once and still hasn't figured out he can run under Bowser and the trampolines.

It's just so brutal though, I feel kinda bad for the dudes I'm killing. I originally realised how powerful it was accidentally by knocking over one of those watch towers with a stray bullet lol. It's really good for quickly s-ranking missions involving skulls too.

two shots to snipe a gunship down. one to take out a jeep or transport truck. it's so fun.

I can't tell if Patrick is actually really bad at this or if it just feels that way because I know how the level is set up. He hasn't looked in the row of blocks with the feather once and still hasn't figured out he can run under Bowser and the trampolines.

He also doesn't know that he could do the spin jump and just figured out you can grab P-blocks, so I think he just doesn't know the rules of the World tileset.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely this, Patrick is not bad at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This alternate playthrough made this level seem surprisingly intricate and not just a mess born from the chaos of humanity.

Jintor

god my fibreoptic speed fluctuates like crazy, when I got back from school it was going 90mb/s and now i'm having trouble watching patrick's stream at source because it pauses to buffer every 4 seconds. Fucking 4mb/s... fibre optic is so weird

What is a spin jump.

Orb.gif

You don't have to have a yoshi to do it, but when you do it you have some invulnerability properties when bouncing on a enemies.

Sounds like someone told him in chat.

I tried the level just now and knowing the tricks (mainly not going to the dead ends) I beat it in maybe 10 minutes. I ended up just jumping on the middle P-block on the bridge and using it as a platform to jump over the gap before the bridge disappears. The last bit with Kamek and the three flying Dry Bones is the hardest part of the first section, the second section can be really easy if you just kill the Lakitus and use their clouds to bypass everything.

After I came back through the last pipe I noticed the wall surrounding the exit was missing some pieces and then I remembered the giant Kamek can destroy walls. So you could abuse that and entirely skip the second section.

Zaph

god my fibreoptic speed fluctuates like crazy, when I got back from school it was going 90mb/s and now i'm having trouble watching patrick's stream at source because it pauses to buffer every 4 seconds. Fucking 4mb/s... fibre optic is so weird

Contention ratio/oversubscribed exchange. Nothing worse than having a sweet fibre line, then all your neighbours get the same service.

Contention ratio/oversubscribed exchange. Nothing worse than having a sweet fibre line, then all your neighbours get the same service.

for a couple of reasons, I couldn't get fios at my new place. the good news is that most of the neighborhood uses it though so the comcast network is wide open. 150mbps wut

Jintor

i'm wondering maybe if i should watch the patrick attempt first so i can discover the course with him then go back and see how it was built

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's funny how these ridiculous random shit makes this level seem so intricately designed.

Dan's Mario Maker level was one of the best examples of emergent game design in the sort of way nobody actually uses the phrase emergent game design. The design itself was emergent. He just threw things around and it ended up making shortcuts, obstacles, and paths that he never meant to put there. Bowser accidentally following him to the p-bridge was hilarious and not at all intended.

Patryn

Dan's Mario Maker level was one of the best examples of emergent game design in the sort of way nobody actually uses the phrase emergent game design. The design itself was emergent. He just threw things around and it ended up making shortcuts, obstacles, and paths that he never meant to put there. Bowser accidentally following him to the p-bridge was hilarious and not at all intended.

Honestly, as I recall there was very little tuning after the fact. They just threw stuff in and it all kind of worked.

And as Patrick demonstrated things like the Fire Flower that were just kind of half-hearted thrown in become necessary.

Honestly, watching the GB stream as they made that level has kind of made me want to pick up Mario Maker more than anything else. I can think of a few interesting levels I'd like to create.

Xater

Honestly, as I recall there was very little tuning after the fact. They just threw stuff in and it all kind of worked.

And as Patrick demonstrated things like the Fire Flower that were just kind of half-hearted thrown in become necessary.

Honestly, watching the GB stream as they made that level has kind of made me want to pick up Mario Maker more than anything else. I can think of a few interesting levels I'd like to create.

If getting Mario Maker would not involve me also re-buying a Wii U I would have gotten well as well now. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom